Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-19-2002, 01:32 PM

Default HD Sound Quality and Surround Tools Issues

Currently have a mix+ system with 88/24's and will be using it for 5.1 using the Kind of Loud tools eg Tweetie, Woofie, Realverb 5.1, and the DTS and Dolby Encoder's, but am thinking of upgrading to HD. However, as many of you know, the Kind of Loud tools not supported (many other plugs also not supoorted yet), so seems somewhat problematic to move over to HD yet.

1. Would like to hear people's opinions on the sound quality difference between Mix/88/24 vs HD with 96k and 192 interfaces. Is there a huge improvement in sound quality???? I am going to get a demo today.

2. Any ideas on doing 5.1 on HD without some of these tools mentioned above ie what do you use and what workarounds have you found?

Seems like I should stick with current setup to do 5.1 for awhile due to the tools, but if HD really has a big audible difference, then seems pretty compelling to switch and take the pain.

Thx for your help.

Steve
Old 07-04-2002, 06:35 AM

Default Re: HD Sound Quality and Surround Tools Issues

Hi Steve

I can understand your doubts in upgrading, because I have HD system ONLY and I'm working on DVD postproduction...
I can tell you the follows:
1-HD sound quality is absolutely GREAT
2-HD problems with surround tools and KOL tools are VERY HEAVY!

Here, I cannot imagine what I could do without the support of our four Silver IBM DAW: I must use PC software to decode, encode and Astarte AC3 packer to make AC3...
And about mixing... Many fantasy!

Cheers
AJP
Old 07-05-2002, 11:01 AM

Default Re: HD Sound Quality and Surround Tools Issues

AJP,

Thx.

Yeah, I decided to stick with Mix+ system for now and do a few surround projects with it first using the Kind of Loud stuff, then decide what to do next year.

BTW, do you of any low-cost or shareware PC or Mac programs that will do simple DVD authoring/writing such that I can put an AC3 and/or DTS onto a DVD for just making test DVD's to check encode/decode playback vs discrete mix?

Steve