Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Avid

Default Re: Digi MIDI i/o Duplicated and greyed in Audio/Midi setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by @ndy View Post
Same here.
Have you tried any of the possible fixes in this thread?
Old 11-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Have you tried any of the possible fixes in this thread?
Yes, all of them and more. Power supply or no power supply, used different USB ports, unplugged all USB devices and of course the trashing of the prefs. I gave up, it's easier to reboot and delete the duplicates than investigate anymore. I hope that when the Snow leopard compatible version is released, it will have a new Midi i/o driver included. And NO, I am not running SL yet! I am patiently waiting.
Old 11-14-2009, 03:19 AM

Same problem here..... for several weeks now on two HD3 ver 8.0cs3 Mac Pro (2009) systems running on OS 10.5.8.

Ghost greyed out midi IO icon appears in the A/Midi setup, then midi input becomes erratic and the Midi IO eventually freezes.

I have tried all the possible solutions suggested in the thread to no avail.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:16 PM

OK I hope I may be counting my chickens too soon but I looked at the USB devices in the system profiler and made sure that the Midi io was on its own bus. Apparently of the USB ports in the back of the machine are split into two buses, the left most one being on its own bus, the rightmost and center sharing one and the two in front share another. Putting the MIDI IO on a bus where it is the sole device is so far the answer. I also disconnected any unnecessary usb devices on the computer, so only keyboard, mouse and ilok and Midi IO are present. Perhaps this is an overrated power issue in the mac pro 4x2.66 USB bus? Or underrated MIDI IO Draw. Anyway 24 hours and holding. I was considering swapping for a MOTU Midi interface but will hold off a couple days to see if this fix holds. I did try all of the fixes mentioned in terms of deleting prefs. They did not work at all, Id get a duplicate within about 30 mins.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM

reporting back, has stayed online sucessfully. Midi IO must have a high current draw, put it on its own usb bus
Old 11-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Already tried all usb ports and powered hub /with and without Midi IO wall adapter.
Problem remains.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj View Post
Already tried all usb ports and powered hub /with and without Midi IO wall adapter.
Problem remains.
I have the same problem and I solved it by using a new M-Audio Midi Interface!!!! I've connected a Midisport 4x4 and now I have no problems at all!!!! So I think there's a compatibility problem between the MIDI I/O and Mac OSX 10.5.8 or ProTools 8.0.1
Old 11-24-2009, 05:49 PM

I too have had this problem across two or three different computers, USB ports and cards, PSU and preference trashing. Works for a while then goes bad again. It is obvious that the MIDI I/O needs a firmware update or redesign. It is silly to say that you need a PSU when the product doesn't ship with one. I think the only answer is to start using a new MIDI product as described above. But what do I do with the expensive Digidesign product? Maybe Digi should trade these across for an M-Audio product.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wheaton View Post
But what do I do with the expensive Digidesign product?
I'd like to know the answer to this too.
We bought 4 Midi IO's less than two years ago (running two on each rig) at a total cost of nearly $3000 retail
in Japan and they aren't working.

Can Digidesign respond to this problem ?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:17 PM

EOL and EOS So much for the Snow leopard drivers.