Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 07-09-2002, 05:08 PM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Quote:
Bombfactory,

If you still have these files, it would be an interesting experiment to set up a calibrated mic in front of a good sounding full range speaker. Run the same noise generator at the same level through a channel to the mix buss and monitor, while generating a plot from the mic... this would be the control plot. Then using the same channel and level, play the output of the individual files and plot the mic results. It would be interesting to see if there are differing results testing the actual reproduced audio energy.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is right on topic.
By taking the subjectivity out of the results, since some refuse to believe that there are converter/reproduction artifacts that can affect transducers.

Lynns CD should educate that notion.

It seems the off topic diversions started with stelios and you... the boneheads.
stelios with his tone testing (AGAIN!!!!), flying in the face of Lynn's exhaustive comparitive tests.
And eggman's agenda topic of slapping MM around, all off topic.
I don't know about you but I am actually interested in the whatfor and why this happened to MM. I accept that he did indeed hear a loss... the why is the greatest mystery. It is a forgone conclusion that if there were indeed a low end loss in HD that there would be many posts that would be calling for digi blood, and that isn't happening. So, what happened to MM was an anomoly. Exactly what it was appeals to my curious and problem solving nature.
To have you guys jump back into this thread to stir the pot once again with the same old crap, while entertaining to some, is not productive, even when eggman is disguising his 'slapping' agenda as 'keeping loudass on topic'.

Got some reasonable theories on what might have been the culprit? I would gladly like to hear them.
Old 07-09-2002, 09:00 PM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Loudist you already directed Bombfactory to:

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...&f=16&t=011985

There are PLENTY of theories of what went wrong. It is all conjecture since no one was there w/ MM. Even if he duplicates his prior test, there is a good possibility it will sound fine this time. Maybe not.

Can you accept that maybe he screwed up? This isn't a slam. People make mistakes. Even famous guys............

Since he is the ONLY person to report this problem, not sure why everyone wants to find out why. If even a few people had this problem I could understand why this is important.
1 TB PCIe flash storage
Pro Tools Ultimate HD 2019.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
Old 07-09-2002, 10:05 PM

Loudist wrote:

Quote:
I don't know about you but I am actually interested in the what for and why this happened to MM. I accept that he did indeed hear a loss... the why is the greatest mystery. It is a forgone conclusion that if there were indeed a low end loss in HD that there would be many posts that would be calling for digi blood, and that isn't happening. So, what happened to MM was an anomoly. Exactly what it was appeals to my curious and problem solving nature.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">If you're truly interested in finding out what went wrong for MM, Loudist, I think you really need to stir the pot on MM's forum and keep the issue alive *there*. I don't think he spends much time here, if any.

Keep in mind that on his forum, MM continually stresses the entertainment value in disrespecting Digidesign hardware/software. With that as a backdrop, I'm not sure if we can expect any further serious testing.

I accept that you're sincere about finding out what happened to MM, but I'm not sure that you will ever get satisfaction from MM on these issues.

You need to put pressure on MM if you want to get this moving.

Lee Blaske
Old 07-09-2002, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It seems the off topic diversions started with stelios and you... the boneheads.
stelios with his tone testing (AGAIN!!!!), flying in the face of Lynn's exhaustive comparitive tests. And eggman's agenda topic of slapping MM around, all off topic.

To have you guys jump back into this thread to stir the pot once again with the same old crap, while entertaining to some, is not productive, even when eggman is disguising his 'slapping' agenda as 'keeping loudass on topic'.

[/QUOTE]

Ahem...Loudist...there you go again with the mud, the slurs, the carrying on. Please try to keep on topic from now on.

I don't think we need much more conjecturing on what happened the day that MM heard what "sounded like" HD being down 6db@50hz. After all, we've had I think 3 threads on this topic, each one having hundreds and hundreds of posts discussing his findings and conjecturing what might have caused it. We've beat this subject into the ground except for one angle...the angle we're all waiting around for. And that is, if MM tries to duplicate the test in the same way he originally did, perhaps that will illuminate what led to his earlier conclusions. Certainly, many have posted contrary findings since his original post. Way back in April (or was it March), MM promised to re-conduct his methodry in the hopes of supplying some answers. There have been offers for studio time, rental gear, etc from other posters here, but still, none of those offers have brought him to revisit what happened. I think we need to continue to encourage him to restage the session setup which led to his aural findings.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:22 AM

As promised I wanted to let you all know the test results. The result was that there was NO difference in sound between the test frequencies at 30hz 40hz 50hz and 60hz. There was no difference between the source or the 192. Sweeped frequencies from 20hz-20k and there was no difference between the source or the 192. This was done digital in, analog out and analog in, analog out.

I would like to apologize if you became offended for what I have said. Never meant to insult anyone. I did spend two and half hours working in my studio to conduct an objective test for the benefit of everyone (including myself). The results showed NOTHING like 6db down at (or around) 50hz.
This a statement of fact and not to disprove a situation that may have happened elsewhere.

Digidesign did a great job and the 192I/O is delivering as promised.

Thanks everyone and have a great summer.

Steve
Old 07-10-2002, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by loudist:
Get your FACTS straight.
I did not say that about 1k, but I do agree with it. So does Rudy Van Gelder.

Oh my, my, the usual mudslingers are out in force again.

You are showing how idiotic you are (again) with your latest 'muddying the waters with disinformation' post.

As smEggma n also does with the proclomation that MM said it was -6db at 50hz, MM said it was LIKE it was down 6db at 50 hz.

We have been over this ground before, the both of you.

Get your facts straight.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ah, in this regard, I stand corrected. Yes, MM did say that it "sounded" like it was down 6db@50hz, not that he tested that specifically. I apologize for the misquoting of his remarks.

Rudy Van Gelder was a great engineer. Good call there, Loudist...it's possible you have some knowledge in our industry after all. At least your history knowledge is coming along.

Now, stay on topic, leave out all the slurs (bonehead, idiot, etc) and we might be able to get somewhere. Especially if you call your Emporer to ask where and when the test will be undertaken, so we can really see what's up with HD and low end.
Old 07-10-2002, 09:23 AM

I discussed this idea with Antares (Mic Modeler makers) when the first Preamp CD came out. I think they could sell it, but I don't think it would be an adequate representation because with the impedance matching of the mic to preamp, there is no way to know what it would sound like.

Someday, someone may end up doing it, but I think it would be to just to have something to sell. I don't think it would have much value as an audio tool, at least no more than you could get with an EQ.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin:
How about a modeling translator (sort of like the Antares-Mic Modelor) but for mic Pre's! (or better - one for mics or one for mic pre& mics).
"I tracked it on a O2R mic pre make it sound like a Neve88r" or "I tracked it on a Mackie 1604 mic pre - make it sound like a Avalon" or "I tracked it with a Millinea Medea HV-3 - make it sound like a Televunken V72"

I like the last idea best. I don't believe its possible really (and I don't really find the Antares mic Modelor very accurate either). And then you have to model hundred's of items for one product! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-10-2002, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by michael c:
There are PLENTY of theories of what went wrong. It is all conjecture since no one was there w/ MM. Even if he duplicates his prior test, there is a good possibility it will sound fine this time. Maybe not.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I found myself thinking of the Loch Ness monster as I was reading this thread. Maybe years from now, people will still be wondering "What was it that he heard there in the mist hanging over the console?"

We may never know....

(insert scary music here)

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio
Old 07-10-2002, 08:02 PM

Of course, the Loch Ness monster has been spotted more than once....
Old 07-10-2002, 09:13 PM

UPDATE: No word from MM...

===================================
HOLY GEEZ!! Rudy Van Gelder!!! Where's THAT Behind The Music?!?!?