Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 06-14-2002, 08:14 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

Yea Dave sorry, brain fart, Mix rig...
It seems to me that the side befit would be a comparison of the 'old' with the 'new'.
I have a feeling that the low end issue will not present itself on this test, so this side comparison would be beneficial.

One thought for the tech minded out there....
If there were a high frequency oscillation (near sampling rate or a division thereof) the clock or the Studers bias oscillator getting into the grounds, at the converter, wouldn't that cause enough intermodulation to mess with the low end?
I cannot help but wonder that the 192 and that particular Studer didn't like looking at each other... weird grounding, termination, or something along those lines.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:33 AM

Default Re: 2" Transfer into 192--the original timeless classic. Accept no imitations...

I just did my own recording/listening test. I have a couple of 192's, 2 firewire drives, and a 933 mac, 17 inch studio display. This system is absolutely great! Much better sounding than my Mix system. I also owned an Otari MTR 90mk2 16 track. I just sold it. There was no way to justify keeping it. The bottom end and top end of the HD system sounds great!
Thanks Digi! ( never thought I would say that) you did a great job on this system. I absolutely love it! It sounds fantastic. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-16-2002, 10:39 PM

Yeah....where do we stand on this? Is MM gonna make good on his promises up here? I'd hate to think that he'd just slander Digi and HD and then go hide in the corner thinking we'd forget. Where are we here, guys?
Old 06-19-2002, 01:22 PM

Yes...any news on the testing?

J
Old 06-19-2002, 08:38 PM

I can't tell you whether the 192 is losing any low end, but after this weekend and auditioning 30+ A-D converters, I can definitely tell you how it compares to other converters. I'll see if I can get some Spectrafoo charts to back it up.

My sources were

1) an analog mix from 2" analog tape (Otari MTR-90 Mk II with Ampex 499 at +5),

2) another analog mix from RADAR 24 multitrack recorded at 24/48, and

3) an SACD recording of a big band.

There were definitely some converters that sent the low end into oblivion. I don't recall that the 192 was among them (though the experience was a little overwhelming). As I review the soundfiles, I'll let you know my findings. I do know that the 192, even at 24/44.1, is two heads and three shoulders above the 888/24. But that seems to be pretty common knowledge already.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio
Old 06-19-2002, 09:31 PM

Lynn, that's some very interesting stuff. Are you preparing another for-sale CD on the subject? I'm very interested in your findings, as I, too, am in the market for some nice convertors. And I'm interested in the analog to HD comparisons.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eggman:
Lynn, that's some very interesting stuff. Are you preparing another for-sale CD on the subject? I'm very interested in your findings, as I, too, am in the market for some nice convertors. And I'm interested in the analog to HD comparisons.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yes, another in the 3D Comparison CD series. This time ADCs, thus the 3D ADC CD. (Looks like the form for a song, like ABACAB.)
I had more than 30 converters in the same room (the pictures are coming) and we listened to the same source material through each one. It was very interesting and very informative. If you're into that kind of thing.

The most amazing thing to me is that, for a box that is designed to do only one thing-measure voltages and assign them a number-there are enormous differences between them.

It'll take me a few months to finish the editing, CD layout and manufacturing, but I will have product by AES, hopefully before.

There's lots more info at my webboard, http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.c gi
Look in the 3D ADC thread.

Lynn Fuston
3D Audio
Old 06-22-2002, 08:54 PM

Lynn, that will certainly be something to look forward to. Especially if MixerMan is actually slithering back into his dark corner and never backs up his ranting and raving. Factual, usable data like your comparison CD's typically provide is worth a thousand ranting posts by wannabe engineers not experienced enough to be able to confirm and exchange actual audio truths. Our collective search continues...
Old 06-22-2002, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Eggman:
Lynn, that will certainly be something to look forward to. Especially if MixerMan is actually slithering back into his dark corner and never backs up his ranting and raving. Factual, usable data like your comparison CD's typically provide is worth a thousand ranting posts by wannabe engineers not experienced enough to be able to confirm and exchange actual audio truths. Our collective search continues...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Erm... egg
I believe MM did have a tranfer problem. What it was is the real question. Personally I believe it was a unique electrical loading or termination problem, and I would like to know exactly what the the conditions were to cause this.
Your posts have always had some element of daggers toward MM... why?
I agree that Lynn's CD is going to be a great resource for many.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:37 PM

UPDATE: I still haven't heard anything from MM about his schedule during the week. Have a good weekend everyone.

DC