Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Pro Tools M-Powered windows xp2(upgrade computer

New to this forum please bear with me. I want to build my own computer(bare bones). My problem is with all the different chipsets, most of the newer ones are not listed or haven't been tested on the digidesign web page for compatibility. I want to build a system around a pent d or 4, with at least 2gb ram, using intel chipset whats a good Mother Board and a good place to buy.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered windows xp2(upgrade computer

i have two systems - both are stable:

1. pentium D 805 (2.66 dual core) - ASRock 775/XFire SATA+
2. pentium D 920 (2.80 dual core) - Intel DG965WH

if you are shopping around for a barebones, then go to:

www.pricewatch.com

also note that there is more on-chip CACHE with the Pentium D 920 than the 805 - 2MB vs. 1MB respectively - with very little difference in price - it makes a huge difference in performance though - so it is something you should be aware of.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:52 AM

While the ones I will suggest are not dual core, I have found a solid single core processor with a stable mother board is everything a home studio could ever need.

My system has performed flawlessly for over 1 1/2 years without a single glitch.

Asus P4P 800 se. You can probably buy this for a song nowadays.
I believe its an 865 intel chipset.

Processor P4 3 ghz hyper thread (over clocked by the board to 3.29 very,very stable.)

2 western digital raptor 10,000 rpm drives.(1 system, 1 sessions files.) 148 gb total.

1 gig ddr 400 in dual channel.(plenty of ram for 8 ins.)

ATI x800xt all in wonder AGP 8x. (Mostly to watch TV between sessions.)

M-audio delta 10/10 rack mount interface.(one of the best in the world!!)

While some of these things are getting slightly dated. They have NEVER even thought about glitching for me.
Some will try talking you into dual core and all that crap. I dont buy into it.

If you have a ton of money to throw around, then go for it!!!!

Audio does not consume the type of processing that video does. Dual core is overkill, unless......
you are running a pro studio.

Since the average home studio interface has 8 ins or less this is the most tracks you can record at once.
I have played back as many as 15 tracks w rtas plug ins on 6 of them and never had anything close to a hiccup.
While it depends on your budget and recording needs i would not go overboard.

YOU DO NOT NEED A BAZOOKA TO SWAT A FLY!!!!!

Best of luck I hope this help. Bill McGirr
Old 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM

Default ...

MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P5BE
CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO E6700 2.66 GHz
GPU: ASUS EAX1300 PRO SILENT
HDD: SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA 2 80Go X2
RAM: CORSAIR 2Go DDR2
PCI AUDIO CARD: M-AUDIO AUDIOPHILE 192
DAW: PRO TOOLS M-POWERED 7.3
PLUGINS: WAVES DIAMOND BUNDLE + WAVES SSL 4000 BUNDLE

WORK VERY WELL!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Hey,For all that responded thanks for the info and quick reply to my post . From what I've seen so far on the web the price difference between duo core mother boards and single core is only about $20 to $30 so I guess it's up to your individual needs. One other thing, I'm recieving different info on Intel mobo, some are telling me that they are no good others say they are, just wanted to get the pro tools user take on it. Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 PM

I cant comment on intel boards, although intel is a quality manufacturer.

If i had my choice i would go with Asus. Everyone i have talked to( including my own experience)
has never spoken ill of thier motherboards.

Easy to set up, easy to maintain and overclock.

One thing to always remember is you WILL get what you pay for.
Sometimes a bargain is not really a bargain.

You also said the difference between single and dual core mb is $20 or so.
I cant comment on the ones you looked at but.... I would be skepticle.

The difference between a quality asus single core and dual core is more like $100 or more.
Also the peripherals are a consideration.
The difference between ddr400 and ddr2 is alot of cash.

The processors are also not to be scoffed at. High Ghz = High $.

If money is no option then buy ALL the best.
If you have a budget... you have to consider these things.

Also as I said previous. ALL OF THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR NEEDS!!!!

If you are a home studio you will not and I repeat not need the best of everything.

Audio is not as intensive on the modern single core w/ dual channel ram. 4 years ago this was a different story.

The MAJOR deciding factor is HOW MANY INPUTS IN YOUR SYSTEM. If you try to input 16 at a time you will need the best of everything.
If you only input 8 at maximum, and overdub the rest... You will not need to spend the booty!!

Hope this helps. Keep rockin'

Bill
Old 03-02-2007, 09:55 AM

the reason why i bought the Intel DG965WH motherboard is because it can handle up to 4GB of RAM.

consider your motherboard choice carefully if you plan on running VST Instruments that use up RAM (samplers are the most memory intensive).

DFH Superior eats up 2GB of RAM if you want an entire drum kit loaded into RAM.

using the "hard drive streaming" option will yield unsatisfactory results most of the time, because there is latency and delays with respect to the sample (plays after you hit the key) - and unless you load the sample into RAM, you will be disappointed in the instrument's responsiveness.

the cheaper motherboards usually only go up to 2GB of RAM maximum.

pro tools uses 300MB RAM when it is running full speed - so 1GB RAM is hardly getting the job done. i think you understand where i'm going here.

it's best to know what your needs are before you get into buying a motherboard.

the intel doesn't allow you to overclock easily - in fact, i'm not sure how to do it at all - but i'm not interested in overclocking a cpu.

there were other factors in my decision (800Mhz FSB \ 667Mhz RAM capable) - but they don't really make too much difference.

the 2MB cache on the cpu seems to make a bigger difference than anything.

as far as dual core, IMHO, i think it may be a better choice, simply for the fact that i can dedicate an entire cpu to RTAS processing, and let pro tools use the other cpu.

you'll have to try it for yourself to understand.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Dillon, Good post. Rarely do people make worthwile posts, unfortunately.

I was wondering...
In no way am I doubting your estimates on cpu usage, I have no idea.
I am curious about how you found this out. I always wonder about these things.(Curiousity killed the cat! lol.)

As an aside I was also considering the UAD-1 dsp processor.
I own a LA-610 to try and tame the peaks on vocals and guitars mainly. but.....
I do not want a ton of hardware and people seem to rave about the uad-1.

Any thoughts? Sorry to get way off topic but I will anyway.

Best wishes all. Bill
Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM

i have the UAD-1 Express (PCI-E).

initially when i installed it, my system had "issues" - and it was only through tinkering, that i figured out what was wrong.

before installing the UAD-1, i had no issues what-so-ever. basically, after installing it, i would get "Out of CPU Processing" errors.

this really made me think hard - because i am running dual core. what compounded the problem even further, is that i also added another audiophile 2496 to my system when i installed the UAD-1. so i wasn't exactly sure which piece of hardware was causing the problem (or if it was a driver issue, perhaps it was pro tools, it could have been anything).

well - lo and behold - the problem was that i needed to dedicate only ONE processor to RTAS - NOT TWO. when i had it set for TWO - the UAD-1 did not have enough "room to work".

i would get "spikes" in the cpu - the UAD-1 comes with a utility to "monitor" the cpu usage (and pro tools has one as well). so i would watch them, and wonder, how the heck could dual core be maxing out. well, like i said, it was in the setting mentioned above. just so you know, the "spikes" would translate to audible "clicks" in pro tools.

it was frustrating - and i was even considering sending the UAD-1 back - but i held onto my belief in the card and what it can do.

all i can say, is that i'm sold on that thing now - i use it on every track - and i'm planning on getting another one.

if you want that "professional sound" then i would highly recommend getting it.

the only thing about the UAD-1 that you MUST remember, is that you should avoid using it during "tracking" - it should be primarily used as a "mixdown" device, because there is latency associated with the card itself. i'm not saying that you can't use it during tracking, but if you do, you must be aware of the latency.

i hope this post / information can help others out there that have the UAD-1 or are planning on getting one.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:01 AM

Allright, seems like you guy really know your stuff, I'll tell what you what I'm doing maybe you can help me. I don't want a big production studio, all I want is to record my own songs and some other small projects. But I don't want to paint myself into a corner and find out later my system won't support what I want to do. I'm running right now with a M-audio Axion 49 Midi that I use for drums and keys and bass and other midi effects, then I use my M-audio blackbox for my guitar & mic, I want to expand a little so I don't have to keep swithing back & forth on the blackbox (mic guitar). I'm looking at (Intel945gntl) or (asus p5nd2 sli)( asus p5pe-vm) (what do you think?) looking at P 4 3.4 ghz 2mb ram for the pe or P D 3.0 2mb cache for the others.