Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 06-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Default Massey and Slate

Where is my Massey De-esser and my Slate VCC? Come on now. I have everything I want almost 🎶🎶🎶🎶😳

📀
Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 06-16-2014, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Massey and Slate

Massey Desser and DRT are so needed soon. I really have been enjoying working in PT11 but so sick and tired of having to switch back and forth for DRT. I have switched to waves Desser for now. Not as good but getting the job done.

Mac Pro 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
32gig ram
PT HD 12 with D-Command 24
Apogee Ensamble Thunderbolt
UAD2 Octo x2
Old 06-16-2014, 09:24 AM

Fender Strats, Ibanez Acoustic, Ibanez Bass, Ibanez Electric.

http://www.johnackermusic.com/
[email protected]

Live and Let Live
Old 06-16-2014, 09:36 AM

They'll be comin' round the mountain when they come........

Slate FG-X, Speakerphone, Massey De-esser
My 3 primary looking-for plugs but there're are more...

Not much of a stopper for using 11, 99% of the time.

Both company's indicated FG-G and De-esser too be the last and most difficult to change over.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 PM

t'll sure be a Joy when we no longer have to resort to P.T version Ten , or use workarounds using plugs we would prefer not to use because AAX versions are still not available ,

.., but re; massey de-esser .., what is it about it that you think is so great ?
... , Im just interested because ive never used it (nor any massey stuff , but I will once its windows AAX compatible)

- For de-essing ive only been using lately the IKMultimedia de-esser , so I cannot compare it to the effectiveness of other companies de-esser plug-ins .
So it is from reading here, where your very own "hands on " opinions become rather valuable, and influential as whether or not to go to the trouble of downloading another companies demo or not , as there are so many out there , its impossible to try them all .

Anyway ..., re; The De-essing PROCEDURE ..., Ive watched some Groove 3 tuition videos lately , where the instructor "Kenny Gioia " doesnt use De-essing plugs ..., and he does it manually by lowering the clip gain on selected sibilances only ,

...., and I must say this seems much more effective IMHO , as Ive noticed with using my IKM de-esser plugs - in order to get rid of all the sibilances , you also step on the toes (ie; squash) of some other frequency/sounds in the vocal you may wish to preserve ..., Kennys tip, left those areas to remain natural and untouched

Last edited by DavoBali; 06-16-2014 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoBali View Post
and I must say this seems much more effective IMHO , as Ive noticed with using my IKM de-esser plugs - in order to get rid of all the sibilances , you also step on the toes (ie; squash) of some other frequency/sounds in the vocal you may wish to preserve ..., Kennys tip, left those areas to remain natural and untouched
Well, manually adjusting clip gain will adjust the gain of all frequencies contained in the clip. So it doesn't preserve any more than broadband compression triggered by sibilance.

De-essing can be done several ways, whatever works for you. There's a few that can be done outside of specialized de-essing plug-ins:
  • Putting a compressor on the vocals, while boosting the sibilant range with EQ in the sidechain. (broadband)
  • Multiband compression, using only a band in the sibilant range (multiband)
  • Manual compression/leveling like in your example (broadband)

I think the Digi de-esser does a decent job, it can be set to either broadband or multiband (but the "HF only" multiband setting only has one crossover, so you will lose HF content above the sibilance). Fabfilter's de-esser is very nice, not sure how it stacks up to massey. Also there's AAX offerings by Metric Halo and Sonnox, both are the multiband type.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 PM

Cheers Mesaone for elaborating further re- de-essing ..., there is always a wealth of valuable insight gained from reading these threads .
Old 06-17-2014, 05:42 AM

I was told by support (last week) that massey plugins for windows user (PT11) are still some months away. Sometime this summer, maby...

Been waiting for ages on these and also the Valhalla plugins.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:21 AM

I have yet to come across a method of de-essing which "sounds" better than attenuating volume manually. It's a pain in the ***** when there are many events to treat but in the end it comes out natural. For de-popping, I tend to hi-pass the offensive region at around 100hz - higher if necessary - and that works perfectly. Massey's is my favorite de-esser (though I'm getting to know FabFilter and it's smart) so it would certainly be nice to have as AAX.

Same with FGX. They say it's being rewritten. I say they're devoting their energy to other (i.e. new) products, and I don't blame them, but as an FGX owner it would be nice to see this tackled.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM

The Valhalla plugs are all AAX beta and work fine. If I recall correctly, you just need to request it from the website.

Producer//Mixer//Bassist//Composer

benrubin.com

------------
PT Ultimate 2024.3, Mac Studio M1 Max, 64Gb RAM, Mac OSX 13.6.4, SSD sample drive,
Neve 8816, HD Native Thunderbolt, (2) Lynx Aurora 16, Benchmark DAC-1/ADC-1