Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 02-20-2020, 07:35 PM

Default Windows Mbox Pro not recognized

Windows Mbox Pro not recognized

I am using protools 12.5 on windows 8.1 and windows 10.
I have an MBox Pro firewire and an 002 rack.
My windows 10 box successfully runs 002 rack through a pyro pci firewire card and Command8 through usb.
I was running protools on my other machine which is a macbook pro running windows 8.1 and connecting to the Mbox pro through a thunderbolt to firewire adapter (from apple).
This worked fine when i switched my ILok between the 2 machines.
The problem occurred when I tried to get the MBox Pro working on the desktop machine with the firewire PCI card. I installed the MBox Pro driver in windows 10 and connected the mbox pro and it was recognised by windows, and the control panel utility said mbox pro connected.
I then started protools which had previously had its hardware setup as the 002 rack but now the 002 rack was not connected and the mbox pro was and protools could not connect to it and it appears to have done something to the mbox pro and it is now not recognised by the windows 10 or 8.1 machines at the windows or protools level.
I have read some posts saying the mbox pro can get into a faulty state, which appears to be what protools has done to it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, is there any way to reset the state of the mbox pro
I am using Mbox pro driver 1.1.10, and i have restored machines from clean images and tried different windows legacy drivers etc. My firewire controller comes up as LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller in device manager.
I bought the mbox pro in april 2015 from thomann. I have an mbox pro 3 192khz
I live in Dublin Ireland near Sandyford. If my MBox needs repair how would I go about submitting it to the factory in Dublin for repair.
kind regards noel
System Spec Desktop I7 8gb ram windows 10 pci pyro 1394 card Laptop I5 Macbook Pro 8gb ram windows 8.1 Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Audio interfaces 002 rack Mbox Pro 3rd Generation Command8 Pro Tools 12.5
Old 02-21-2020, 10:16 AM

Default Re: Windows Mbox Pro not recognized

Don't know if this will help, but its worth a try if you haven't already: On windows machines, its a good idea to open Sound Properties and set the Default Playback Device to the on-board sound card. This prevents a hardware conflict where Windows is locking the Mbox(when you installed the driver, its very likely that Windows assumed you wanted that unit to be the default playback device). Then try opening Pro Tools and seeing if the Mbox is available as the "audio engine" under the Setup>Hardware menu

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-21-2020, 10:29 AM

Default Re: Windows Mbox Pro not recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Don't know if this will help, but its worth a try if you haven't already: On windows machines, its a good idea to open Sound Properties and set the Default Playback Device to the on-board sound card. This prevents a hardware conflict where Windows is locking the Mbox(when you installed the driver, its very likely that Windows assumed you wanted that unit to be the default playback device). Then try opening Pro Tools and seeing if the Mbox is available as the "audio engine" under the Setup>Hardware menu
Hello Dave

Thank you for your reply much appreciated
I would love to be able to do as you suggest, but windows does not appear to load a driver for the device. In device manager the firewire device is not listed. When the device is turned on there is no connection to the device.

Thank you for your suggestion, I aggree with your advice and have done this in the past, but my problem now is no device listed in sound properties or device manager.

kind regards noel
System Spec Desktop I7 8gb ram windows 10 pci pyro 1394 card Laptop I5 Macbook Pro 8gb ram windows 8.1 Apple thunderbolt to firewire adapter LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Audio interfaces 002 rack Mbox Pro 3rd Generation Command8 Pro Tools 12.5