Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools cannot find (all) my aax plugins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesperT View Post
Hi Darryl .Thanks again.
On my Data/Sound hard drive I got 1.7 TB.
I hope it is okay for now to use one of my three 3TB hard drives I mentioned for you.
1.7 TB of samples... yes I would go for it. I might putting any streaming samples on the SATA boot SSD if they will fit and the others on a 3TB HDD, or put all on a 3TB HDD and then see which ones have worst performance and deal with that. I will fall back to KISS as much as possible, try to make it simple to start with and that is easy to maintain/backup/update.

The big things is make sure your audio/ session file are on a separate HDD ... and make sure I have multiple backups specially of the audio/session drive.

And if/when you want to increase performance more in future you have M.2 NVMe drives as an option to consider.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Hi Darryl. Thank you so much.
I am now trying to transfer my session file from the hard drive in the Mac to an extern hard drive formatted exFAT.
When I copi or draw a little window saying : subject " System volume information" can not be replaced, because it is invisible.
Are you able to guide me from here ?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:54 AM

Hi Darryl. I think that the issue with : subject " System volume information" can not be replaced, because it is invisible, maybe can be related to that the Mac ssd system hard drive is overcrowded. The strange thing ( for me ) is that the info on the mac say that the ssd hard drive is full. When I go to users -it shows shared 29 GB. On the logo with the house ( Jesper Thorup) the info shows 416 GB. When I take all the subjects / folders ( fotos film programs etc.) inside this and add them, theres is only 224mb ??
Do you have a solution to what I can do to solve the issue with transferring my sessions hard drive to my external hard drive from the Mac to the PC, as I have done without problems before.
Thank you
Jesper

As you know I have
Old 05-31-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Hi Darryl. I think that the issue with : subject " System volume information" can not be replaced, because it is invisible, maybe can be related to that the Mac ssd system hard drive is overcrowded. The strange thing ( for me ) is that the info on the mac say that the ssd hard drive is full. When I go to users -it shows shared 29 GB. On the logo with the house ( Jesper Thorup) the info shows 416 GB. When I take all the subjects / folders ( fotos film programs etc.) inside this and add them, theres is only 224mb ??
Do you have a solution to what I can do to solve the issue with transferring my sessions hard drive to my external hard drive from the Mac to the PC, as I have done without problems before.
Thank you
Jesper
First I want to make sure you are selecting the folders containing audio sessions on your Mac drive and dragging those folders over to the exFAT drive. You can select all those files and drag at once if you want. But make sure you are dragging over the session folders (they can be in sub directories etc, just drag the enclosing folders over), but I want to make sure you are not trying to just drag and drop one top level drive partition onto the other.

If you are trying to correctly drag and drop all all the session folders--then what is likely happening is there is a conflict with .VolumeIcon.icns or similar special hidden files (hidden files start with a ".") that the Mac is not happy about overwriting. The Mac is trying to be safe and user friendly and actually being unfriendly, like only Apple can do.

What I would do is this https://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...it-s-invisible

(actually that's one of the first setup things I do on any Mac, so I'd never exactly see this error).

This won't harm your Mac but it will make different hidden files show up in the Finder, be careful not to delete those files.

So then try again if you see an error about overwriting a file like .VolumeIcon.icns just say yes and keep going. If you see a bunch of different file names note them down and let me know... but keep going you are not hurting anything on the Mac as long as you drag and drop from the Mac to the exFAT partition.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 PM

Hi Darryl.
I am now dragging the sessions folders from the mac hard drive one by one to the external hard drive. It seems to work fine .... except one folder " System Volume Information" which you can't drag because it's invisible.
So my question is " do I need to drag it, or can I just replace it ( from somewhere?) on the PC
Old 05-31-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Hi Darryl.
I am now dragging the sessions folders from the mac hard drive one by one to the external hard drive. It seems to work fine .... except one folder " System Volume Information" which you can't drag because it's invisible.
So my question is " do I need to drag it, or can I just replace it ( from somewhere?) on the PC
You do *not* need that folder. It's housekeeping stuff only used by the Mac.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Hi Unkje.
Thank you for refering to Darryl who has been a great help to get my Mac hard drive transferred to my PC.
I have a friend trying to help me to make Pro Tools work with Velvet( Avid) and Structure ( Avid). He is trying to explain "where we are"
I attach some screen shoots. I hope you can help me
thank you
Jesper
The folder structure is as outlined by unkJE.
XPand2, Velvet ands Structure were all installed.
The content for all three plugins is in the respective folders in G:\AIR Music Technology\Air Content\
Xpand2 is available in the instruments list, but Velvet and Structure are not.
(See picture)
The Xpand2 AAX-plugin is in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Avid\Audio\Plug-ins.
The Structure and Velvet plugins seems to have the extension DPM and not AAX. They are in another folder.
(See picture)
Is DPM an older 32-bit plugin type?
Can ProTools 12 use this plugin?
Why is it not availablein the list?
Old 06-02-2019, 09:36 AM

Hi Darryl
I have now transferred my sessions hard drive from the Mac to my PC. THANK YOU so much for your help (-:
If you have any comment to the thread I just send to Unkje about The issue with Velvet and Structure please tell me.
best
Jesper
Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM

here is the two attached files
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pro tools plugins.jpg (24.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png missing plugins.png (47.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-02-2019, 09:45 AM

??? What are you folks doing now? Are you running the latest compatible Windows installers for the plugins? dpm are RTAS plugins, ideally they would not be installed but some installers will still just drop them onto modern systems.

In general:

1. Installers may give you a choice where to put sample libraries
2. The plugin may come with setup software that makes it easy to move libraries or point to them after you moved them (so let the install go to the default location)
3. The plugin documentation will describe how to do this (plugin installer manual, user manual or website)

This stuff you should be about to find online.

But all this needs to start with you running the correct Windows installers. Are you doing that?