Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-30-2000, 01:43 AM

Default A request from a VAIO owner who is still bummed over PT FREE R2

i got R1, despite the warning about it having problems with some Sony Vaio computers. ran it on my Vaio F-560 notebook (PIII 600, 192 RAM, Yamaha DS-XG audio chip) and it crashed, and crashed and crashed...

got R2, despite the fact that the update notes said nothing about compatibility with Vaio computers. it still crashes whenever i try to open a new session. i got it to create a session once, on the system partition (NOT what i wanted), but it crashed later.

i know it's a free app, so i don't want to complain. i appreciate the offer, and i know it runs fine on MACs and other PCs. but if you could maybe address the Vaio issue--so that it could be used on some of the fastest multimedia laptops out there--it would be much appreciated.

thanks.
Old 01-03-2001, 11:53 PM

Default Re: A request from a VAIO owner who is still bummed over PT FREE R2

i got a vaio too, much slower than yours. mine was crashing all the time. make sure you're not using any of your PCMCIA slots (except for maybe an external HD), uninstall all that useless sony software, GET an ext. HD ($260 Maxtor firewire drive works fine for me), and ctr-alt-del and get rid of all programs running in the background except explorer, systray and dslaunch (yamaha sound card stuff). it's a little slow and sometimes quirky, but generally reliable.