Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 PM

Smile OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD

Just installed the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD 120gb as a boot drive. Pro Tools 10.1.2 is working like a champ!

I'm running Lion 10.7.3 on a 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon.

Tested a bunch of sessions and everything seems to be working great.

-Parry
Old 05-05-2012, 01:52 AM

Default Re: OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD

I have an OWC Mercury Extreme 240GB SATA SSD as my boot drive, and couldn't be happier...or so I thought.
A PCIe SSD might be well worth looking into....
Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 AM

Here's a great review of the PCIe Accelsior, with some explanation about why it's even faster than just having a normal SSD as an internal hard drive:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Revie...Accelsior.html
Old 05-05-2012, 10:15 AM

It all looks great. Still I would like to see a longevity test where you constantly write 0's and 1's at full speed/capacity and calculate how many can you write before the thing breaks.

Magnetic disks are great because you need to kick the drive to make it break but first few generations of SSD's seemed to break very easily. I'm not buying until we know (or can make an educated guess) that it will not break within first 5 years of everyday heavy use -- because that's what we do to our storage system day in day out.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:20 AM

5 year unlimited writes
http://www.storagereview.com/sandisk...review_lb_406s

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

PT11 System Requirements link http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/C...m-Requirements

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-13-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgripp View Post
Just installed the OWC Mercury Accelsior PCI Express SSD 120gb as a boot drive. Pro Tools 10.1.2 is working like a champ!

I'm running Lion 10.7.3 on a 3.33 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon.

Tested a bunch of sessions and everything seems to be working great.

-Parry
Apart from stability, any performance gains? Are you running PT native or with a card? Txs.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of these, apps launch much faster, boot time is faster. Another, thing I like about these is it's easy to back up your system drive because you are forced to keep things small. Backing up 256 gigs doesn't take long. 2 Tera bytes takes all night....
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Here's a great review of the PCIe Accelsior, with some explanation about why it's even faster than just having a normal SSD as an internal hard drive:

http://macperformanceguide.com/Revie...Accelsior.html
That's an interesting insight into a Mac Pro's capabilities. It's kind of alarming that you can't get full performance out of an SSD in a SATA port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It all looks great. Still I would like to see a longevity test where you constantly write 0's and 1's at full speed/capacity and calculate how many can you write before the thing breaks.

Magnetic disks are great because you need to kick the drive to make it break but first few generations of SSD's seemed to break very easily. I'm not buying until we know (or can make an educated guess) that it will not break within first 5 years of everyday heavy use -- because that's what we do to our storage system day in day out.
You're right, and that's why I was hesitant at first when it came to SSDs. However, they are getting to be a lot more affordable, and if you just use it as an OS drive, there's not a lot of danger for the performance gains. If I reboot my machine, it goes from desktop, bootscreen, back to desktop in less than 30 seconds, and that includes manually selecting my OS and typing a password. Software and page loading tends to take less than a second. I've never seen an icon bounce on the dock more than once. It's hard to dismiss that kind of performance.

Initial SSDs were indeed unreliable and expensive, but they seem to be getting a lot more reliable by the day. It's already good practice to keep your important stuff off the OS drive anyway, and be prepared for a catastrophic failure at any time. If this is already your method of operation, there's no reason why an SSD should cause you any real headaches. I certainly don't regret mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
I'm thinking of getting one of these, apps launch much faster, boot time is faster. Another, thing I like about these is it's easy to back up your system drive because you are forced to keep things small. Backing up 256 gigs doesn't take long. 2 Tera bytes takes all night....
Yessir. It's never bad idea to keep your boot drive small. Keeps things fast, clean and easy to restore.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 07-16-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
That's an interesting insight into a Mac Pro's capabilities. It's kind of alarming that you can't get full performance out of an SSD in a SATA port.

/snip/
Its not a surprise in general, SATA whether "3 Gbit" or "6 Gbit", and more importantly the actual SATA controllers onboard the drives are a bottleneck compared to what a really smart controller and a multi-lane PCIe slot can do.

The note was talking about older Mac Pros. Current Macs ship with 6 Gbit/s SATA support (and it was added for others in past EFI updates, even if that update may cause other problems....).

FusionIO is the company that pioneered PCIe based flash SSD systems. Some really stunning high iops capabilities with their high end systems, way more than anybody doing audio is likely to need.

Darryl
Old 07-16-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Its not a surprise in general, SATA whether "3 Gbit" or "6 Gbit", and more importantly the actual SATA controllers onboard the drives are a bottleneck compared to what a really smart controller and a multi-lane PCIe slot can do.
Well of course, but that also comes down to budget. You can spend $10,000 on a 512MB flash PCIe card if you want with well over 1TB/s read/write, but very few need that kind of performance. Even an inexpensive SSD around 500MB/s is way faster than what most people already need anyway, which SATA3 should be able to handle just fine.

Quote:
The note was talking about older Mac Pros. Current Macs ship with 6 Gbit/s SATA support (and it was added for others in past EFI updates, even if that update may cause other problems....).
Are you sure? The writer says it's current for the 2012 models, (especially since they didn't get any real hardware update).

Quote:
FusionIO is the company that pioneered PCIe based flash SSD systems. Some really stunning high iops capabilities with their high end systems, way more than anybody doing audio is likely to need.

Darryl
For sure. I looked really hard into solid state technology when it was blossoming, and found that the real architecture to use is SLC over MLC. The former has no write limitations, has a virtually unlimited shelf-life and obscene read/write speeds. It is also still extremely expensive. A well built MLC drive should still give you a solid 5 years of regular use, though.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515