Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM
The Cargo Cult

Default Re: Quicktime jerky 8.0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
playing back on a second monitor, the issue, again, lies with the OS. Apple is aware of this (we've sent them reports of what we know to help in their investigation and are working with them to get this resolved) and they're working on it, though I do not know specifically when they will be addressed.
I'm sorry this just doesn't wash.
why is it that going from PT7 to PT8 causes picture issues?
why does going from 8.0.1cs2 to 8.03 cause more picture issues?

I am a post professional working on a feature film in a major facility.
my first order of business today is to install PT7.4 on a new partition so I can cut my ADR with confidence in the sync.

justin
Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
I'm sorry this just doesn't wash.
why is it that going from PT7 to PT8 causes picture issues?
why does going from 8.0.1cs2 to 8.03 cause more picture issues?

I am a post professional working on a feature film in a major facility.
my first order of business today is to install PT7.4 on a new partition so I can cut my ADR with confidence in the sync.

justin
No other DAWs have these issues. There is an issue that FCP has when playing out of the Digital Cinema Preview when updated to version 7.0.2 but 7.0 is fine, I doubt this is unrelated, but there are obviously graphics issues with Mac OS 10.6, but Avid do seem to be taking a ridiculously long time to sort this.

A workaround is to install Quartz Debug from the OS X developer tools and Disable Beam Sync.

This implies that something has changed in the OS, but other developers aren't affected by it, or actually bothered to make their products work properly.

Pro Tools 8 is now over 2 years old and is on a 0.4 update. Is there a major rework in the pipeline or are Avid just running it in to the ground hoping we move to Media Composer? No other software company that I can think of is so slow in getting significant updates released, with the exception of the delay Microsoft had with Vista.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
No other DAWs have these issues. There is an issue that FCP has when playing out of the Digital Cinema Preview when updated to version 7.0.2 but 7.0 is fine, I doubt this is unrelated, but there are obviously graphics issues with Mac OS 10.6, but Avid do seem to be taking a ridiculously long time to sort this.

Apart from the detailed problem description Justin mentioned, I would like to add/repeat that I've always seen the jitter on all versions of PT8 I used and my OS has never been past 10.5.8.
So if it's an Apple OS issue, it already existed in Leopard.

I've mentioned before that I mainly playback from a MacBook Pro and see the stutter. But I've also seen it recently on various versions of de Decklink card on the playback system of the Dolby Mastering stage I use (even recently although I'm not sure they were on the latest Mac OS to solve that issue).

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 07-26-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
A workaround is to install Quartz Debug from the OS X developer tools and Disable Beam Sync.
I've seen this solution mentioned somewhere else. Is this specifically for OS 10.6 or also 10.5?
Is it an Avid supported intermediate solution?
Does it mess with other things in the OS?
Where do I find this and what's the best way of installing this?

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 07-26-2010, 05:16 AM

Some people have complained of video tearing when using this, I've not noticed it, but the playback is still not 100% as good as it was, probably about 90-95% as good as in 7.4.2.

It's on all Mac OS X DVDs in the developer tools section and should work on Leopard too.

Not sure what you mean by what's the best way to install it.... it's just a regular app.

You do have to keep it running in the background though. Don't think it's Avid approved, as that would be they have to get off their backsides and support their own software.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Though I feel l could start a new thread for this I will tack on the end of this one in hopes of getting DTS to monitor my report. We have 4 PTLE and 2 PT HD rigs that have exhibited the QT jidder bug when "upgraded" to 8.03 or 8.04. It is so unusable that we have rolled back all 5 rigs to 8.01cs2 to get back to where we were all last season. Here are the basic specs:

2 imacs PTLE (003 and MB Mini)
1 MBPro laptop PTLE (MB micro)
1 MacPro quad PTLE (003)
1 MacPro dual quad HD3
1 Mac G5 HD 1

In all cases we import a QT DV 720x480 (853x480) 23.98 file into PT and play it out the built in video card to an external monitor. And thru our entire run of 24 episodes last season we ran without issue.

With all due respect to AVID/DTS the claim that it is an Apple issue doesn't seem to wash and I feel it has something to do with the QT handling setting in PT prefs. In 8.01 you allowed for checking Hi Quality QT with the option of three levels, Normal, Medium and High (I think)...we have success with the Medium level setting. I notice in 8.03/8.04 that you have removed the levels option. Furthermore I notice that while the picture resolution is excellent but jittery in 8.03, in 8.04 it is soft AND jittery! Rolling back to 8.01cs1 OR cs2 looks and plays great.

In all my years of PT upgrades, I have never had to roll back so many systems. In fact this clearly IS NOT an upgrade, and it is very disappointing that we can't benefit from some of the positives that you must have worked hard to provide. I strongly urge you to at least warn the Post Production user base that this is an issue. It also seems that pointing the finger at Apple on this is not entirely honest since we can get the exact same QT to behave in every one of our rigs after the rollback to 8.01.

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 10-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
This info just in from Apple:
Why are you still pushing this BS as fact? You feel the need to resurrect month-old threads to somehow "prove" that it is Apples fault??

QT playback was fine in PT 7, it is fine in Logic, Final Cut, and every other app except Pro Tools 8 - if you won't cop to it, you'll never fix it.

Get real and stop being so defensive (blaming Apple) and blowing smoke up out collective *****.

kasper
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
Why are you still pushing this BS as fact? You feel the need to resurrect month-old threads to somehow "prove" that it is Apples fault??

QT playback was fine in PT 7, it is fine in Logic, Final Cut, and every other app except Pro Tools 8 - if you won't cop to it, you'll never fix it.

Get real and stop being so defensive (blaming Apple) and blowing smoke up out collective *****.

kasper
I'm usually the 1st to have a go at Avid, but it seems Apple sent that e-mail themselves. It doesn't explain why PT7 is fine and why 8.1 seems fine, but it is obviously more complicated than most think.

I don't think Avid like this fact, so probably do want to sort it asap. I doubt 8.0.3 and 8.0.4 will ever get sorted, but 8.1 seems to be OK and 8.5 will probably be fine too.

Give them a break!
Old 10-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasper View Post

kasper
Because it's TRUE.

I removed the post as there was a detail about Apple's official statement that needed clarification (regarding it only occurring on NTSC monitors) and I'll post an update as soon as possible.

And kasper - this DOES happen in other apps. It's easily reproducible in iTunes, etc.

If you think I blow smoke, well - believe what you will, but I'm not one to deal in b.s.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:02 AM

Cool Re: Quicktime jerky 8.0.3

Quote:
I'm usually the 1st to have a go at Avid, but it seems Apple sent that e-mail themselves. It doesn't explain why PT7 is fine and why 8.1 seems fine, but it is obviously more complicated than most think.

I don't think Avid like this fact, so probably do want to sort it asap. I doubt 8.0.3 and 8.0.4 will ever get sorted, but 8.1 seems to be OK and 8.5 will probably be fine too.

Give them a break!
I give them my $$, isn't that better than a break
OK, maybe it is legit from Apple, I'll give you that. That's not the point. Just admit there is a problem (Digi/Avid, not you, tom) This has been going on since 8.0! Never gonna fix it if they don't cop to it (I repeat myself when under stress ...)