Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 05:46 AM

Default Re: The nouve' of them!

JCBigler. Thanks. _(But, I'm with you on the software licensing thing).
Old 12-20-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Thanks cristopher, Southside music. "Love it or hate it but we have to comply with the rules and make the best of it". Rules are not laws! The rules in question here are nothing but company policies. This is follow the leader thinking!
Hi

I agree with that but what I mean is we can't do much about it rules or not unfortunately so we "follow the leader if we wanna use their products"

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-20-2014, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Hi

I agree with that but what I mean is we can't do much about it rules or not unfortunately so we "follow the leader if we wanna use their products"
Southside music, Thanks for your comment. "follow the leader if we wanna use their products" Hmmm. Perhaps that's the solution!
Old 12-22-2014, 05:56 AM

Hey guys. The reason I started this thread was not in any way meant to demean software companies or the management of their artistic license, real or imagined. My point is about their intrusive manipulation of the customers money, time and patience! Yes, I'm an old grouch when it comes to anything that upsets my little retiree world but in my opinion I've earned that right and the right to privacy! That said, when I spend my money for anything, software included, I don't feel that anyone has the right to aggravate me when, for various reasons something out of my control causes the purchased software to cease working! When things of this nature occur the customer,(me), is forced to go to the software manufacturer's website, give my e-mail address,(which can possibly give hackers access to my personal information), try to remember a password which I've long since forgotten and in such case click on new password, which in most cases requires waiting on an e-mail which contains the new password! Then they have the audacity to graciously allow the customer a limit on how many times they can be bothered to reinstate your validity and the right to use the software which you have purchased! These things probably seem trivial to those of you who have been mentally conditioned to accept them. I've learned from your responses to my thread that something is in the works that would enable software companies to obtain royalties from me if, in the very remote chance I should ever compose and record a hit song! Like I said, The nouve' of them!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:29 AM

... something is in the works that would enable software companies to obtain royalties from me if, in the very remote chance I should ever compose and record a hit song!

Sorry, Terry...I don't know where that came from, but I haven't heard of any such plans! And given that the possible royalties from such an arrangement would be so small when compared to the cost of creating a "collection" system I can't conceive of any company even wanting to do it.

I get the feeling you might be getting a bit confused over the "licensing" concept (easy enough to do), so let me try to give you a quick rundown...

When you "buy" a DAW (such as Pro Tools), what you are actually buying is a license to use the software under specific conditions. And the conditions are quite reasonable...You can't "reverse engineer" the software, which is basically copying the software's computer code to create your own DAW (or other program). You can't remove (or circumvent) the copy protection. You can't sell or otherwise distribute the software to others (typically after the copy protection has been removed). And there may be prohibitions on reselling the license. There's more "legalese", but that's pretty much all of the license terms. Outside of the original payment for the license (when you "bought" the software), you don't have to pay anything else to the DAW manufacturer. Again, if you create a hit record with the software, you do not have to pay any "royalty" to the DAW manufacturer.

The other side of the coin...

If someone "buys" a download of your hit recording, they are only buying a license to use the recording. They may not make copies of the recording and give or sell them to others. The cannot play the recording in a "public presentation" or in any other way where the primary purpose of playing the music is to make money for yourself (for example, if they own a bar, they cannot play your recording over a sound system for the patrons to dance to, they must obtain an additional license). For each copy of your recording that is sold, you will typically receive a royalty based on your involvement in the recording.

Hopefully that will ease your mind on these issues...

Regarding another part of your post...I lost my job 10 months ago...I'm 65 years old. I'm doing my best to stretch what little money I have until I reach my full retirement age of 66. Right now I'm so broke I couldn't buy a dime if somebody was selling them for a nickel. I knew going in that recording is an expensive hobby, so right now I'm not buying any new gear or plugins, I'm just using what I have. In order to enjoy recording in my present financial condition, I've give up a few other pleasures, such as eating out or a night out at the bar. But the tradeoff is worth it to me.

So, I totally sympathize with you...I'm in the other end of the same boat you're in! But I think you're unnecessarily worried about the license thing...you can keep on doing what you're doing with no additional cost.

Try to relax, have some fun making music, and have a Merry Christmas!
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-23-2014, 05:48 AM

Bill Denton. Well said my friend. It appears that you had the guts, self confidence and determination to accomplish what I could not. By that I mean you apparently make a living from recording. For that you have my admiration. I have had my own setbacks. A stroke and a quad bypass which threw a big wet blanket on my dream. I'm sure there are those who have overcome similar setbacks but I am where I am. Again, my complaints about software licensing are my own personal gripes and will not change what is currently accepted in the recording business. But the same laws that are meant to protect musicians and composers are ignored by those who take advantage and look the other way! I am well aware of the "rules" governing the supposed protection of artistic license for composers and musicians but, if you believe they are being enforced I have some swampland in Forida that's for sale! So, Bill. Thank you again. I always will have fun making music in spite of the seemingly built in, aggravating setback ks of Pro Tools. You are a gentleman and scholar! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and everyone on the DUC. Thanks for putting up with me!
Old 12-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Actually, you "over credit" me!

While I made a tiny bit of money playing drums in sessions back in the 70's, since then all I've made is a few free beers on Open Mic nights!

While I don't have the medical issues you do (yet, thank God), I suffer from severe depression, so I know what it's like to have your body dragging you down!

Really, I'm a lot closer to you than you think...I'm basically just a guy having fun making music in my basement!

So, as we used to say...keep the faith, brother...and just keep on plugging away...you'll get there...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh