Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2020

Old 10-08-2020, 05:59 PM

Default Noise on Hardware Insert

So regardless of the hw insert delay Which I asked about in a separate post I’m getting a bunch of static when using the Black Audio seventeen as an insert, just adjusting any knobs input output I get noise. sorry still a newbie to analog gear and inserts in pro tools.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2020, 08:01 PM

Default Re: Noise on Hardware Insert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Edge View Post
So regardless of the hw insert delay Which I asked about in a separate post I’m getting a bunch of static when using the Black Audio seventeen as an insert, just adjusting any knobs input output I get noise. sorry still a newbie to analog gear and inserts in pro tools.
Thanks
Does the Seventeen make that noise when used stand alone? My guess is it does. But you need to check.

If so is the device properly grounded, are you using the proper cables? what's the pots behind those knobs? Wire wound? Carbon composition? Open/semi-open or sealed? Can you hit them with deoxit spray? Is the Seventeen new? under warranty Call your dealer if needed.

Isolate things as much as possible and test separate components. You can verify the hardware inserts work Ok with a short piece of cable...

Nobody here has your system in front of us and nobody here can magically guess what your problem is. So you have to troubleshoot it yourself.

And the final editorial question is why bother with a hardware insert? Why not process stuff in Pro Tools. I'm all for hardware and folks who have large libraries of gear, especially for tracking. But for a one off limiter.. there are untold number of limier plugins, some quite sophisticated.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 10-08-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
And the final editorial question is why bother with a hardware insert? Why not process stuff in Pro Tools. .
Because hardware is better, you don’t have to update it and has no bugs. In the end it’s cheaper. Every time I insert hardware it spices up my mix, and if inserting hardware is not possible I prefer stock plugins (at least they do no harm).
If Michael Brauer went totally ITB doesn’t mean everyone has to do the same.

IMO
Old 10-09-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Because hardware is better, you don’t have to update it and has no bugs. In the end it’s cheaper. Every time I insert hardware it spices up my mix, and if inserting hardware is not possible I prefer stock plugins (at least they do no harm).
If Michael Brauer went totally ITB doesn’t mean everyone has to do the same.

IMO
The hardware I lust after sure is not cheaper than software. But let it be an artistic decision and A/B the results. In this case of a limiter, presumably used sparingly or on a final output/mastering so easy to compare with a plugin.

And if the OP is fighting problems and a deadline, and can't track down the problem, then look at a plugin now. Static noise ain't going to "spice up a mix".

Simple options are (depending on use, but assuming it's mostly mastering) Pro Limiter, Maxim, Pro Compressor. or free trial iZotope Ozone.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:08 PM

See my reply to your other thread

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-12-2020, 07:21 AM

I have two external HW units and do not get noise with either one.

I use a Bricasti M7 stereo reverb (via AES ) and a Tubecore 3U tube compressor (via analog )

Also I don't use the manual HW delay method/function, as I appears to me that the ADC function (Automatic Delay Compensation) already compensates for any delay because , it shows delay samples on the respective tracks that those units are used on as inserts ???????????????????
Avid HD Omni I/O Interface ...Mid 2010 Mac Pro/ Apple 27"Cinema Display,,,,processor- 3.33 6-core Intel Xeon "Westmere" w/ Memory- 24 GB, Radeon Pulse RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Dual HDMI Graphics Card..... OS- Mojave 10.14.6, and PTHDN 2020.11 on on primary boot drive (SSD PCIe 512 GB Samsung SM951) FCPX files storage on Samsung 970 EVO 1TB and PT sessions storage on 2nd Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB -- both in dual drive Crest I/O PCIE controller adaptor card

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding" Albert Einstein

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...