Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Avid Cloud Collaboration

Old 01-23-2015, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Yes to cloud collaboration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I don't think it's streaming (that would be a nightmare). I think Avid Everywhere is a shared track database where you can upload and download tracks to your collaborators. THAT is what I need and am looking forward to. Especially during the revision process where we have enormous sessions, but are making tiny tweaks to them.
Yes thats what I thought it was aswell.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-23-2015, 10:56 AM

"I think Avid Everywhere is a shared track database where you can upload and download tracks to your collaborators. "

So in other words you either stream the data in real time from the cloud or you send a proxy (or full size file) to the local drive right?

No other option unless someone at MIT or Harvard has had a breakthrough in technology!
Old 01-23-2015, 11:00 AM

So I can easily see how audio files can be zapped to and from a cloud, but what about movies for post? The proxy for that will still take time to download to a local drive and most users internet speed is not going to allow it to be streaming...

So again, how is this different from any other storage share that I have a proxy server connected to to shoot data to location session users?

It is simply using an Avid software based scripting to communicate from software to THEIR cloud to upload and send data... I dont see how this is any different from a current proxy server setup and using your own private cloud...

Would love to see the white papers... even with Sphere the files still take time to download locally even at proxy sizes... Trying to work in Media Composer while these files are loading is schtchy at best,, laggy video playback, etc... so you really still have to wait for it to load before you can really work with it. But I will say it does it pretty fast.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonthurley View Post
So in other words you either stream the data in real time from the cloud or you send a proxy (or full size file) to the local drive right?
It streams data, but not in real time. When you talk about streaming audio in real time, it's different than "transmitting data through the network to be recalled on demand from a storage medium".

The difference here would be analogous to the functional difference between downloading an audio file from dropbox and *playing* an audio file from dropbox.

What advantage does this have over your FTP or NAS or anything else? It integrates with the Pro Tools application. Instead of receiving files and dropping them in the timeline, this is all done for you.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So I can easily see how audio files can be zapped to and from a cloud, but what about movies for post? The proxy for that will still take time to download to a local drive and most users internet speed is not going to allow it to be streaming...

So again, how is this different from any other storage share that I have a proxy server connected to to shoot data to location session users?

It is simply using an Avid software based scripting to communicate from software to THEIR cloud to upload and send data... I dont see how this is any different from a current proxy server setup and using your own private cloud...

Would love to see the white papers
Regardless the system behind it. I think it should be end-to-end encrypted. If you use your 'own' private cloud it wouldn't change the risks unless the data in your cloud is encrypted at rest so in case of a breach the stolen data is useless for the attacker.

I'd never store crucial data like a mix of a film on any cloud service unless It's inside an encrypted container that was encrypted before it's uploaded.

Frank.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:30 AM

"If you use your 'own' private cloud it wouldn't change the risks unless the data in your cloud is encrypted at rest."

True but you can choose to not have your cloud be connected to the open internet and instead use a LAN Bridger to allow access to the storage from almost anywhere... and that would be the portal to your private cloud.

Regardless.. the point was already mentioned, the difference in Avids approach to what I could setup myself is that they are wiring your software with connection buttons to make a quick connection and share possible without writing or running 3rd party scripts.

The big question is how much does this cost? Since Avid usually charges an arm leg, and half a torso to use these types of features. How much are you willing to pay for this cloud storage system?
Old 01-23-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
"If you use your 'own' private cloud it wouldn't change the risks unless the data in your cloud is encrypted at rest."

True but you can choose to not have your cloud be connected to the open internet and instead use a LAN Bridger to allow access to the storage from almost anywhere... and that would be the portal to your private cloud.
What's the point of a cloud that's not connected to the internet 24/7?
How will your collaborators access the data when they need it?

Frank.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 PM

i would say point would be to have a private cloud share... What's the difference if I open the cloud to the Internet (so anyone can access it) or just use it on a private LAN bridges across any studio in the country? It still does the same thing but it's not accessible by the rest of the world. No?

I'm just curious what is this "magical" cloud share they speak of? Is it just a simple cloud you are going to pay to use and store data? Sessions? Etc?

My point is this "feature" (sharing sessions via cloud)can already be done without their fancy "cloud button" or whatever easy user GUI link they want to add I to the software.

I still feel I am goo g to laugh at the cost of this, but hey who knows,ay be since Avids financial state has been rocky at best they may actually come up w a competitive pricing scheme... But their history proves otherwise.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Will be interesting to read about how this system is secured.
Especially with regards to post-production folks and the strict NDAs we're often tied to. (remember Dropbox, Adobe, Sony and other data-breaches?)
Will this service offer end-to-end encryption?

Thanks,

Frank.
And what will various governments say about that? David Cameron (UK PM) wants to be able to read everyone's messages and such going over the net. Perhaps Avid has learned how to do solid encryption ala Apple with the new iPhone or Blackberry?

QAPLA!
Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Will be interesting to read about how this system is secured.
Especially with regards to post-production folks and the strict NDAs we're often tied to. (remember Dropbox, Adobe, Sony and other data-breaches?)
Will this service offer end-to-end encryption?
Most of the world's major television networks and post facilities already use Avid's cloud services so I'd assume it's pretty together.