Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2019, 03:53 AM

Default Re: problem with orange two stroke eq pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyimp View Post
This is extremely disappointing. If I had to guess what the problem is based on the sound of it, I'd say that the sudden transient coming from the hot pickups of my guitar is slamming the circuit such that the power supply can't supply enough current momentarily. It doesn't sound so much like clipping of a loud signal (which would manifest as a loud, distorted signal) but rather more like a circuit momentarily starved for current. Maybe there's some kind of protection circuitry in there to starve the current in overload situations? I'm surprised that this problem would be common, but can't claim enough experience with circuit design to be any authority on the matter. Maybe there's an op-amp or IC in there that just doesn't degrade gracefully.

Generally, I like a good, clean true bypass circuit on my pedals. On the other hand, a signal buffer sounds like a good idea in a pedal board or long-cord situation -- lest you get a lot of treble loss or noise creeping in. Based on your comment, it sounds like I'm unlikely to find a good pedal to buffer my signal? I'm surprised that it seems so difficult to wire up a good buffer circuit. It's also quite disappointing that my Orange pedal might ruin my potent transients if I were to use it in a pedalboard. So lame to have a pedal destroying your loudest notes when it's supposed to be off.

That sounds like a pretty good gig!

Any suggestions you might have about a mod to fix the pedal would be most welcome. If it's just a matter of replacing a resistor or capacitor or two, I might be up for it.
The mod is relatively easy providing you can get the main part and that is replacing the footswitch and getting the right switch. Basically you want a switch that switches out both the input and output of the circuit to straight through from input jack to output jack.

For a buffer on my pedalboard I used a couple of different methods over the years. The main one was a rather large Groove Tubes Brick which is/was a tube based direct box. The lesser version used an ART box that had a tube running in what's called starved plate mode so the box could run off a low voltage wall wart.

QAPLA!