Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2016, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Will this work?

If you are trying to do this live with monitoring the drums from EZ Drummer with other musicians playing along expect latency with the drums.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 10-27-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djefvul View Post
I'm not sure but I think that's what my drummer has, but how would PT/EZD detect it if I just run it through a usb port on my computer?
DUC having timing problems?
I just got an email notice of this post, and it shows up in my firefox browser as from day before yesterday. Albee's reply to me suddenly has this post inserted before it! Wasn't there a couple of hours ago.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 10-28-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think that's what my drummer has, but how would PT/EZD detect it if I just run it through a usb port on my computer?
Anyway, the answer is: automatically.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Configure it in Audio/MIDI Setup. An aggregate device if necessary.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
If you are trying to do this live with monitoring the drums from EZ Drummer with other musicians playing along expect latency with the drums.
We will probably just have a guitar playing with the drums, if that makes it lag we'll just let the guitarist record with a click track.
Old 10-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Indeed^^^^ If the drum "brain" has a USB out, that will likely work. If you are happy with your current interface, there is no need to change it. While I used to have the M-Audio UNO, it failed to work with Win7. I replaced it with a MOTU Fastlane USB and it still works fine(even on Windows 10).

As for assigning sounds, its simply a matter of setting each trigger pad to play the appropriate midi note. With my old Roland TD-10 kit, most everything worked fine right out of the box. I had to do some "fishing" to get a side stick and cowbell, but the rest was good to go
So I looked it up, my drummer did have the Roland um-one_mk2 midi cable.
From what I've understand so far I will be able to just plug the midi cable to a usb port on my computer and that will trigger EZD automatically right?

Speaking of "fishing", I think I would just go into the midi track manually and change the notes there for those kind of things.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
My experience says this is mostly a non-issue. With my old system(003 interface) tracking live players at the 64 buffer, with a Roland TD-10 kit and EZdrummer(or SD2 or addictive Drums), I never got any mention of latency(any plugins used while tracking reported 0 latency). Some drummers didn't like the feel, but none complained about latency

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
As I recall my system wasn't able to do a small enough buffer, and the latency was obvious. We solved it by just using, and recording, the built-in sounds of the e-drums box, and midi track, and I created the EZDrums later.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:57 AM

Hi again!

So I got everything set up. I bought the Yamaha DTXPLORER and connected it with the Roland MK2 midi cable.

I went in ProTools to trigger the e-set with EZDrummer and it works but there's 2 pads that got the wrong assignments.

When I hit the kick drum it's assigned to the snare and when I hit the snare it's assigned to the hi-hat. All the other pads are correct.

There's no kick drum anywhere on the pads tho.

So how do I fix this? I would really appreciate an answer.
Old 11-14-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
So how do I fix this? I would really appreciate an answer.
I'm not in front of PT now, but as I recall, there is a "Advanced, System or Setup" tab inside EZD, and a button called " Key mapping" or similar, and there you will find a vertical keyboard graphic that is used for remapping of midi assignments. You should use the manual for this.