Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 09-16-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Can't copy and paste in Pro Tools 11

Please help me. I have tried right clicking copy and paste and going to the edit window and clicking copy then going to the other audio track, setting the place on the timeline, and using the edit window to choose paste. I get nothing.

I tried to work around by making a new audio track and duplicating, but I could not grab and move the duplicate audio down to the desired track. I suspect I need to change a setting. Thanks in advance for your patience and help.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Can't copy and paste in Pro Tools 11

Your wording is a bit confusing.

You need a basic understanding of computer copy & paste. You select the audio you want to copy in a track in the Edit screen then you right click to copy the audio. Go to the target track, click on the timeline where you want to paste the audio and then either paste or merge the audio into the new track at the point in time you want it. Make sure you also have the track selected in the left-hand part of the track.

Look in your PT Reference Guide (aka The Manual) for the difference between paste and merge.

QAPLA!
Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM

I do have a basic understanding of computer copy and paste. I mentioned using both right click copy and paste of the highlighted track, then, with timeline in appropriate place, tried to right click and paste on another track and nothing happened. There is an undo paste in the edit menu, no track pasted in the other audio track.
Same result using the edit dropdown menu. I have the tempo correct;y identified.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfrog94 View Post
I do have a basic understanding of computer copy and paste. I mentioned using both right click copy and paste of the highlighted track, then, with timeline in appropriate place, tried to right click and paste on another track and nothing happened. There is an undo paste in the edit menu, no track pasted in the other audio track.
Same result using the edit dropdown menu. I have the tempo correct;y identified.
Make sure the track you want to copy to is selected (the track name is highlighted). Also make sure you're trying to copy to a like track - mono audio to mono audio, stereo audio to stereo audio, MIDI to MIDI (or an instrument track) etc. Also try merge. What you're trying to do is basic PT usage.

QAPLA!