Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-10-2011, 06:07 AM

Default 003 install not working

Hello,

I'm looking for some guidance to see if anyone has experienced the same problems with their 003.

I recently upgraded my home studio to a Digi003 with PTLE 8.0.3. (Please note that it was working perfectly with a 002R on PTLE 7).

I'm running Windows XP (now with SP3) on an HP xw4600 with 4 GB of RAM. (using the approved 2 port PCI-express SIIG 1394 card)

First Problem:

I couldn't get the device to install. Windows failed to see the Digi 003 despite the fact that it powered on fine.

It turns out, that it wouldn't see both the Digi 003 and my 1394 HD at the same time. I had to remove the hard drive. (Plugging in both at the same time causes one not to be seen). I haven't resolved this of course, but removing the HD did allow me to get the system to see the 003 so that I could continue with the installation.

Second Problem(more of an annoyance).

It took EIGHT attempts for the installation to succeed, despite the fact that I followed the process to the letter.

Third Problem:

After rebooting the 003 would go into a state of working and upon launch of the application I would get a 1113 error that the hardware was already in use.

I resolved this. It turns out that Neurotron AudioScore was attempting to hijack it. Disabling the task was able to free up the access to the driver, and would allow PTLE to launch.

Fourth Problem(still stuck here):

I finally get to the login screen, thinking I might have the chance to finally record something. Nope. Upon project selection, I get a Blue Screen of Death.

DRIVER_IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. It's calling out the portcls.sys file which is actually an onboard audio driver.

I spent some time ratting through forums. I've updated pace drivers. I've updated firewire drivers, etc. Nothing changes.

If I put my 002R back on the system with PTLE 7... it works FINE.

I even put in a new harddrive with a fresh installation of the OS.. same result. I work at a facility that has several test stations specifically for Avid. I decided to go in and test it on our machines. Out of nearly 30 qualified systems... it would only install on 5 of them. There was no rhyme or reason that was immediately evident based on what little documentation there are of compatibility specifications.

It's now Sunday, and I've been at this all weekend, and needless to say it's quite exasperating.

After working with the new hard drive in my system.. I'm not even getting to the project selection screen anymore. It's stuck at Creating DAE Objects. I've decided to try to install PTLE 7 with the 003 drivers to see if this has any change...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Re: 003 install not working

UPDATE:

Now.. what it does is it will BSOD the first time I attempt to create a new session(doesn't matter if it's a template, opening an existing session or trying to use a blank session.. so it's definitely not settings related).

After the BSOD, any subsequent attempts to launch the app are met with it hanging at 'Creating DAE objects'. This forces me to reinstall the application(I've reinstalled easily 50 times trying new things and it's not even noon.)

I've decided to test to see if this is specifically a 1394 conflict (maybe the 1394 card is bad.. despite the fact that with the 003 connected.. I can see any of 6 firewire drives, my camera, and another studio interface fine.) In order to do this.. I'm trying to install my Eleven Rack as an interface. I typically use it as outboard gear, but I've reracked it and I'm trying to see if this will work instead....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:11 AM

This has gone from a comical annoyance.. to frustrating.. to absolutely tragic.

Naturally.. windows won't find the Eleven Rack. I pulled out the manual.. followed it step by step. (I'm religious about this with digi gear as they are notorious for fairly poor hardware integration). There is no driver in the install disk.

Are you serious...? I actually have to download the drivers for my Eleven Rack. They aren't included with the purchase. So.. you are telling me that I've paid over $1000 dollars for something that doesn't include something as mundane as the drivers to install it???????

And of course.. the standalone installer isn't actually a driver... it's yet another "installer". Naturally.. it doesn't work and I've still got that yellow question mark giving me the middle finger. As a result.. I can't use Windows' built in functionality to force the driver to install......

For giggles, I called my friend who uses a Steinberg setup. It took 5 minutes to install and get it up and running. At least I can work my session tonight using Steinberg.

However, I've still got 5 hours to try to troubleshoot this. I'd love some ideas....

At this point I'm beyond furious with Avid.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM

I suggest a more focused approach here. Let's just look at the 003 and ignore the Eleven rack for the moment. Starting with a clean system and uninstall Pro Tools with the uninstaller on the pT8 disk or start with a fresh load of Windows. Before anything else goes in, check Device Manager for yellow exclamations and make sure everything is updated and working. Then I would start with the 003 plugged in but powered OFF. Then install iTunes/Quicktime(you NEED QT so you might as well install the package) and the latest PACE drivers. Also, download the 8.0.5 update and unzip it to the desktop. Now run the PT8 installer, but DON'T power up the 003 when asked(just click OK and let it finish. Reboot and run the 8.0.5 update, and DO power ON the 003 when asked. Crossing your fingers won't hurt. If this still doesn't work, I would do 1 of 2 things; post a Sandra report for the computer in question, and/or contact a local Avid dealer or rep and maybe try to get some local support. BTW, your friend's description of how easy it was to get his Steinberg rig going, is exactly how my PT8 setup went

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 AM

I noticed some threads where people were having issues installing it with IE7... so I'm trying to backrev that as we speak. It's easier said than done, considering you have to remove SP3 before you can remove IE7.

I'm STILL unable to get Windows to find a driver for the Eleven Rack after removing IE7.

I am amazed that nowhere on the web (ANYWHERE) is there simply just a .sys file that I can download.. register and point to in order to get the 11R working as a Pro Tools interface.

The inefficiency of the documentation is comical... the lack of any consistency on the forums is absolutely ridiculous.. and at this point I'm spending more time venting on a thread than I am mixing.. because this stupid POS simply doesn't work.

So to recap...

I have a fully qualified system based on the Avid website... using fully qualified components based on the Avid website.

I've upgraded to 8.0.5.. which is supposedly "stable".

I can get my PTLE to see my 003.. but it swaps intermittently between a BSOD and the Creating DAE Objects freeze (keep in mind..all other connected hardware works. I can connect an M Audio Keystation Pro.. no problem. I can connect my MOTU device fine. I can even get my Alesis DM10 to connect via USB. My camera and several fireware hard drives all work without incident.)

I can't get Windows to recognize my Eleven Rack as a device... but it won't install the driver.. despite upgrading to 8.0.5 and using the ridiculous 1.0.8 updater.... it won't be seen. You would think that this common denominator is my system... however EVERYTHING but digi gear works flawlessly.

for giggles.. I've reimaged a harddrive with both Windows 7, XP SP3, XP SP2 AND Vista.. and it fails to work under any condition. I've attempted to do this using the qualified SIIG card (which is only valid for the Digi003.. because the 11R is a USB device.) I've removed every device but Keyboard Mouse, Monitor and Digi Device...I've even swapped out my USB mouse for a P2 mouse... just to make sure absolutely nothing else was on the USB bus.

no change.

I decided to try it on my antiquated xw8000 (which is also running fine.) Same problem.

I would absolutely love to see an explanation for this....

There is a significant lack of documentation, lack of adherence to what would be considered industry best practices (GIVE ME A FREAKIN' DRIVER PLEASE!!!!!!! I DON'T WANT THESE OBFUSCATED INSTALLERS), etc. so on and so forth.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I suggest a more focused approach here. Let's just look at the 003 and ignore the Eleven rack for the moment. Starting with a clean system and uninstall Pro Tools with the uninstaller on the pT8 disk or start with a fresh load of Windows. Before anything else goes in, check Device Manager for yellow exclamations and make sure everything is updated and working. Then I would start with the 003 plugged in but powered OFF. Then install iTunes/Quicktime(you NEED QT so you might as well install the package) and the latest PACE drivers. Also, download the 8.0.5 update and unzip it to the desktop. Now run the PT8 installer, but DON'T power up the 003 when asked(just click OK and let it finish. Reboot and run the 8.0.5 update, and DO power ON the 003 when asked. Crossing your fingers won't hurt. If this still doesn't work, I would do 1 of 2 things; post a Sandra report for the computer in question, and/or contact a local Avid dealer or rep and maybe try to get some local support. BTW, your friend's description of how easy it was to get his Steinberg rig going, is exactly how my PT8 setup went
Albee.. I appreciate the response.. I think my venting has confused the issue.

The Digi003 connects to the system fine. There are no problems loading the driver. The driver and the digi003 work fine. The problem with the 003 has nothing to do with it's driver.. otherwise the application wouldn't get to the project launch screen. When I've got the digi003 up... I get to the session launch screen. Selecting any option causes a BSOD. Once it's blue screened, any subsequent launch attempts get the frozen Creating DAE Objects screen. (I have to reinstall at that point).

The reason I went after the 11R is that I can't tell if the BSOD is related to the Application or the Hardware because the dmp file is only pointing at portctl.sys.. which is a windows audio driver. I would normally assume this is hardware related, but then I should see something in the dump file making a call or a buffer overflow to the digi driver.. none of which shows up. I assumed that maybe the driver was bad, so I backrevved to SP2 just for giggles, and I got the same issue. I spot-replaced the driver from another system just in case there weren't any changes form SP2 to SP3.. and perhaps the driver was toast. No luck there either. I tried Windows 7..and got the same BSOD (which is mind boggling..because the files are completely different.)

The theory was that if I can get the 11R working.. then it suggests I have a problem specifically with the 003 or the 1394 protocol (card, driver etc.) If there was a BSOD at the project launch screen even with the 11R.. then I have a problem with PT 8 and Windows specifically.. and the hardware is benign.

Actually.. the Steinberg incident wasn't my friend's account.. it was my own. I borrowed his disk, popped in a Hard Drive and got it working so that I don't miss my session tonight.

(As far as Avid support.... there is more irony to that suggestion than I care to discuss :) )

I don't see the purpose of posting a Sandra report. The entire purpose of the report is to match system specs or to look for any system failures. It's essentially a less verbose version of Belarc or the Avid System Diagnostic Tool. I'm using an xw4600... the entire system is qualified.. it's not home built or spec'd.. because I bought it from Avid.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM

I'm tempted to try PTLE 9 at this point. I know it's not supported to run on Windows XP, but it may be my last shot of getting this to work before my session tonight.

I've got the installer.... so I might as well try it. At worst... it can only NOT work.
Old 04-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Default Re: 003 install not working--JACKPOT

Aha..

I'm launching!!!!!!!

For anyone who runs into this... here is what happened.

The BSOD message is actually a regression (meaning it was an oooooooold Windows XP conflict). Portcls.sys is one of the OS drivers for your audio card (i.e. not provided by the manufacturer... it provides OS level functionality).

I decided to crack open windbg.. and it wasn't mentioning the drivers for 003, because it couldn't get to them. My assumption was that it was trying to hit portcls.sys.. but tighter investigation showed that it was attempting to hit.. Neurotron Audioscore.

I had remembered seeing Neurotron's WDM driver when I was checking the health of the Digi003. I decided to disable the Neurotron driver and VOILA... it works like a charm.

However.. the eleven rack driver still eludes me.. but I don't care, because I use it strictly as outboard.

Where there is a will.. there is a way.. :)