Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 PM

Default Big Business

>Grivel, if you seriously think that no Icons will be going into the type of rooms mentioned above >then you should be prepared to be embarrassed when the announcements are made by digi on these sales

Why would I be embarrased? I could care less how many consoles digi or AMS sells. Or Harrison for that matter. It's like being embarrased because Honda just upgraded their civic to a newer model, but I thought the old one looked better. Big deal. Move on.

Read my posts carefully, and you will see where I projected the ICON would be used, so far I am spot on. I think you have to upgrade your reading skills. You only choosing to read what you want to read. Read all of it my friend.

>I have no doubt at all that in the next few months Icons will be going into post rooms at big media >companies - networks, major Post companies

Im happy for you. You should write a letter to these companies expressing your kind feelings.

>Maybe not at first into the $1000/hr dub stages but it will start in Predub rooms, B stages and >when the necessary facilities are added to the platform - even the big stages

Wicked. I'll watch for you cheering by the sidelines, waiting by the dumpsters for all the DADR5000's that will be thrown out. As well as the MMR's. You can take a picture and e-mail it to me. I'll cry and never get over it.

>if facilities managers can get the equipment costs down and still mix the shows a generate profit- >then they will.

I think you should mail your business model to these companies. You've come up with some great business models here. Make sure people find out about it.

>Thats foolish- those days are over

I'm sorry. I'll watch what I say from now on. I wouldn't want to be a fool.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:53 PM

Default As a Whole

>What puts them in an exclusive club is the facility as a whole. And the multiple services they >provide.

Yes, this is it. The major facility buys various equipment from various manufacturers to provide services that MID and MOM & POP shops can't provide. In a addition, union type facilities need equipment that is purpose built, flexible, and very reliable.

Hence the ICON will always be seen as a Pro Tools remote by the pro's. Some may be used here and there in the biggest of post facilities, in the last rooms to accomodate overflow, TV mixes etc....
However much of these big facilities in North America have long made the tansition to digital non-linear technology 8 years ago. They have enough dubbers and pro tools systems already, that an ICON is the last thing on their minds.

The world is NOT flat. It is NOT all pro tools, and as a big facility, you must position yourself with flexibility and multiple services. This gives great technical merit to products like SoundMaster, flexible and reliable. Do you think all pro's buy into the silly messages in garbage magazines like POST? Alot of people do, but not all.

It's refreshing to know at least 1 person on this forum can see the bigger picture [Henchman]. You have to see the big picture fellow pro's. Times are a changing!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:31 PM

Default Dogma

Hello. These several threads on the ICON have reached the level of other 'practical, useful' discussions. Gems like Mac vs. PC, Republican vs. Democrat, Pro Choice vs. Pro Life, Britney vs. Christina. They are all the same from where I read. Dogmatic, zealous, religious fervor on both sides. No one sees the forest for the trees. It's also safe to say both sides had their minds made up before they came in and will not change them or be open to any other ideas.

In the words of a famous corrections official "what we have here is a failure to communicate".

I first came across these threads a few weeks back. And in that whole time not one single person involved has made a new point or opened a dialogue. Side A says 'well my car is black' and then side B comes back with 'but my stove makes pancakes and has bells'. Which of course prompts side A to explain in a 10 page expose in no uncertain terms why their car is black. Not to be outdone side B eloquently expounds on the history of stoves, why pancakes are made this way and why bells are needed.

People grow up please. These are tools. Use them. Don't use them. Get on with your day.

Let's see if I can recount the entire ICON pro-con discussion.

ICON- well thought out, useful, will find a home.

or

ICON-expensive, inflexible, cheap looking, Pro Tools based (which means it sucks), not ready for 'prime time'

OK does that about cover it?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Dogma

>ICON- well thought out, useful, will find a home.

>or

>ICON-expensive, inflexible, cheap looking, Pro Tools based (which means it sucks), not ready for >'prime time'

>OK does that about cover it?

I don't want to open another can of worms, but no that does not cover it. Anyone with a brain will explain WHY something is the way it is. If you don't like it, go away or say something...nobody is holding a gun to your head for you to read it. Go salivate over Auto-Conform...go away basically.

People generally like reading these posts, or they wouldn't keep coming back for more. I guarantee you, many people come and read these, and get a hint of 'the other side and what it has to offer' besides ignoring everything because it is not within the mandate.

Thanks Froyo.

Now, enough about the ICON. Im tired of this mouse already.

P.S. If people start broadcasting nonsense again, I WILL step in, and so will smart people like Henchman, that have working brains.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:13 PM

-Froyo wrote:
"These are tools. Use them. Don't use them. Get on with your day".

-Amen.

-Also, many company products try to have mass appeal -that's the point of having a successful product.
-However, as hard as they try, there no such thing as a one size (product) fits all or satisfies all -if anybody has those secrets, hang on, your gonna make a helluva lot 'o money.
-Dissention is good, that helps raise the bar (Thank God we don't all think alike).
-Blake is right, those days are over -as are the big budgets- (budgets are tight). I hope it changes though.

LB.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:56 PM

Froyo is right. All the consoles being mentioned in this thead are just tools and they all have their advantages. Heck, I have a 24 fader Pro Control as a side car to my System 5. This gives me access to all 192 voices the system can handle without having to Pre-Dub things together. I can "virtually" Pre-Mix 32-48 tracks of BGs and bring them back on 5 channels of the Euphonix as a stem. Same with Foley and other SFX of my choice. That leaves about 80 outputs from Pro Tools to bring the more complicated, busier and sound design FX up on the main console, things I have to pan around alot. I can build reverbs and use the plugins I want and also maintain full, individual control of all the elements. Same with dialog and music. The point is that there are all kinds of ways to work and I think the more tools you have at your diposal the better the product you can make. Since this thread was started with the fact that "over 50 have been sold", here's one interesting thing I've noticed in all the threads. Where are the users? I've read in other theads that people have "touched the Icon" and "saw a demo" of the Icon, I'd love to here from an actual owner some tricks and techniques that they use with the ICON that's making their work flow better. What do the clients think? How does the new monitor section sound? Are there any bugs? Do you get more chicks now. Whatever. Where are you (add echo here ) Ya know. There must be at least ONE owner that checks the DUC.