Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Workaround for E-Guit Recording with HD Native

... except that audio track records before plugins, so you need to send that signal to another audio track for recording
Old 12-09-2018, 12:34 AM

Thanks to both of you. I will try your tips later today and report back.

Best

Mark
Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
... except that audio track records before plugins, so you need to send that signal to another audio track for recording
You don't need to do anything else while tracking. KISS. You want to print that to another track at mix time knock yourself out, reamp with a different amp, ditto. Or commit or freeze... yep have all those options as well. But the OP's problem of monitoring though a plugin... solved.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:05 PM

I do what you are describing all the time, feeding both a direct signal and the Kemper signal via separate tracks with zero issues. This is probably the most obvious question, but do you have anything on your Master Buss when doing this? If so, what?

If you are feeding an Aux for Delay and or Reverb, then just put the plugins on the channel you are recording verses an Aux.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:14 PM

As an HDN user, I track direct electric guitars(and bass) all the time with no discernible latency, so there probably is a flaw in your method. The number 1 cause of "almost 2000 samples" of ADC is; a send on a track that actually goes nowhere(imagine; you add a send to feed an AUX track, but you change your mind and delete the AUX track. If the send is still in place, it feeds nothing, which makes ADC go crazy and add almost 2000 samples of ADC). This has hit me several times before I finally pinned down the cause.

I simply record the DI guitar to an AUDIO track with my amp sim of choice in the top slot(usually I use Guitar Rig, but Amplitube and Eleven work the same. Set the buffer to 64 and record just as if I were playing thru a mic'd amp. My bass recording is done similarly, but I record the DI bass to an AUDIO track and this track has a send that feeds a MONO AUX track with Amplitube's SVX amp sim(usually the B15 preset with minor tweaks). Amplitube has 7 samples of latency compensation and nobody has ever had an issue with that small amount of added latency

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-13-2018, 08:36 AM

Hi,
sorry for getting back that late...
I tried what all of you proposed and... it worked...
I did the Aux Track thing last week as I believed native plugins are muted while recording... This is what I experienced with my HD setup I used till a few weeks ago. I should have checked the new method before...but now I know it’s as easy as with my HD rig. With 64 samples buffer size there is no noticeable latency to me. Great!
Thanks for all your input, I will get better with native systems, I swear...

Best

Mark