Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 Won't Recognize Omni

Thanks for the insights. I guess I haven't regularly upgraded, not since PT 11, so missed the rebranding. Would it be safe to say that Essential now is what Native was and Ultimate is what HD/HDX used to be?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:01 PM

There is no such thing as PT Essential.

Pro Tools First is free with limited features.
Pro Tools is the cheaper paid version.
Pro Tools Ultimate is the full price version that can use HD hardware.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Yeah, the 30 day trial is a good idea. I've been contacting Avid to figure out this mess, but of course, in the sales dept, you can't speak to an actual person. So all my questions to sales are through emails, which as you know, don't get immediate replies.

I'm hoping they'll credit what I've spent already towards the upgrade to Ultimate. Still waiting on sales for this reply. What complicates it worse is that this buy is for academia, so I don't know how they'll handle that and how the purchasing policies are in that case.

Hopefully, they'll understand the situation and get back to me soon.

Thanks again and stay safe.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
Thanks for the insights. I guess I haven't regularly upgraded, not since PT 11, so missed the rebranding. Would it be safe to say that Essential now is what Native was and Ultimate is what HD/HDX used to be?
No. Please slow down and read what I wrote above.

Pro Tools Essentials crapware was not what you think it was. It is irrelevant here. I already explained Pro Tools (standard) is equivalent to the old Pro Tools LE. (LE == Limited Edition, or Low End or something, it was never made clear what LE stands for AFAIK, but is not "Essential", that was a different very low end product). But it's been that way for over a decade, so I'm not sure where your confusion is now coming from.

There is "Pro Tools (standard)" and "Pro Tools Ultimate" (previously HD). That is all that matters to anybody here. When you say "Native" you are just confusing stuff more. Do you mean native plugin processing or HD Native (HDN) hardware (which needs Ultimate with a Digilink license today, just like your HDX system does).

There are Wikipedia posts about Pro Tools, lots of places all the versions are discussed. But this is why there are Avid resellers. Wait until Monday, get on the phone with one of their sales reps and all you need will get sorted in minutes. Hopefully you purchased the Pro Tools standard re-up through a dealer who might be able to help you returning it. Maybe.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-19-2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Jeffro, you mentioned a link you posted for KB. Not sure, what KB is? But in any case, where is the link posted? I'm not seeing it on this thread or is it posted elsewhere?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Avid Support should be able to help you. If it takes too long Jeffro may be able to escalate this
Old 06-19-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Jeffro, you mentioned a link you posted for KB. Not sure, what KB is? But in any case, where is the link posted? I'm not seeing it on this thread or is it posted elsewhere?
click on the link in jeffro post
Old 06-19-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
2 links in my previous post. One for a comparison table of the 3 software options, the other is a knowledge base article about the DigiLink license.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:14 PM

ok,

So Essentials would be like the old LE? As far as the purchase, it actually done on this site not through a dealer. I was hoping, by doing so, I'd get quicker answer from them.

By Native I meant the old system, where you the Native card vs. the HDX card. Or ages ago, when you had LE and TDM.

I also notice you used the acronym HDN, instead of HDX. When I looked at the offerings on this site for purchase, I didn't see HDN. I saw all the subscription or perpetuals for Essental, Ultimate, and the Free version they have. The "N" in HDN is?
Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 PM

There is no Essentials. Forget that, I have absolutely no idea where you got that. Also forget First as it is very limited.

There are two choices for you: standard software that will not work with HD/HDN/HDX hardware and Ultimate software which is unlimited.

You need Ultimate.