Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2015, 01:38 PM

Default upgrade or downgrade? money is an issue

okay hoping yall can help me out. i have mac os 10.7.5 and i have protools le 7.4 should i upgrade the protools or downgrade the computer? i dont want to spend too much as the other computer i was using for protools (tiger) was working great. but now my newer imac doesnt seem to take it.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:40 PM

Default Re: upgrade or downgrade? money is an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongkind View Post
okay hoping yall can help me out. i have mac os 10.7.5 and i have protools le 7.4 should i upgrade the protools or downgrade the computer? i dont want to spend too much as the other computer i was using for protools (tiger) was working great. but now my newer imac doesnt seem to take it.
I'm confused - do you have two or three Macs? And which computer are you considering downgrading? What is this 'new iMac' you're talking about and what operating system does it have? If it has Yosemite then you're going to need PT11 or PT12. And what do you mean that your newer iMac doesn't seem to take it - take what?

QAPLA!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:17 PM

sorry if im not being clear.. I have a imac running 10.7.5 and i have protools 7.4 with a protools le8 update. i just want to know should i downgrade the imac or upgrade the protools.. money is kinda funny right now
Old 07-06-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
sorry if im not being clear.. I have a imac running 10.7.5 and i have protools 7.4 with a protools le8 update. i just want to know should i downgrade the imac or upgrade the protools.. money is kinda funny right now
If the iMac came with Lion you may not be able to go to an earlier OSX version. So that would leave going with a newer version of PT.

QAPLA!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:43 PM

oh okay.. yes i dont know if it came with it or not.. i do have a 002 console and i heard of crossgrade to pt10 how much would this be? im trying to make my next move as cheap as possible. my old mac was working fine with pt 8 so i dont have a real need to spend a bunch of money
Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
oh okay.. yes i dont know if it came with it or not.. i do have a 002 console and i heard of crossgrade to pt10 how much would this be? im trying to make my next move as cheap as possible. my old mac was working fine with pt 8 so i dont have a real need to spend a bunch of money
You don't know if what operating system your iMac came with? I would think the manual that came with it (if you still have it) would have that info. What specific iMac do you have? Go to 'about this Mac' from the Apple menu, click on the 'more info' button and up wiil come the OSX system profiler and in the hardware overview in the right hand pane it will give you the model name and model number - the latter is what you need to give.

There is no crossgrade to PT10 anymore; Avid stopped that years ago. Your only option unless you can pick up a legitimate second hand license is to go to PT12. But until you say what specific iMac you have I can't say what maximum OSX version you can run on your machine. Really need full info on your system.

QAPLA!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:57 AM

Quote:
You may take care which OS to use with which version of Pro Tools!

Neither LE7.4 nor LE8 were supported with Mac OS Lion 10.7.5.
The last Mac OSX LE7.4 was supported with (LE7.4.2) was Leopard 10.5.3/4.
The last Mac OSX LE8 was supported with (LE8.0.5) was Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Means it actually was not made to work with any later OSX properly at all.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...149?popup=true

As musicman has mentioned already you need to find out which exact model of iMac you have got and then you can find out which MAC OSX your iMac was delivered with once.
This exact Mac OSX will be the earliest version of Mac OS you will be able to install and use on your iMac.
Means, if your iMac once came with Lion, you will not be able to install Tiger, Leopard or Snow Leopard on it anymore. However every OSX from Lion up to the latest one Yosemite.

To find out which iMac you have got you may go to the Apple menu on upper left of your desktop/About This Mac, there you find the description of your Mac (year, processor etc.).
With this infos you may go there.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ndex-imac.html

For more details then go again to the Apple menu/About This Mac/More Info/Overview/Hardware on your iMac which will show you the Model Name, Model Identifier, Processor Name,
Processor Speed etc. of your iMac.

With these infos you will be able to exactly identify your particular iMac on this website.
You then may scroll down on the particular page of everymac.com until you see -Pre Installed OS- which will finally show you the version of Mac OSX your iMac came with once.
As mentioned before this particular Mac OS will be the earliest OSX you will be able to run with this iMac. So, if this iMac originally came with Lion e.g., you unfortunately will not be
able to use this computer with LE7.4 nor with LE8 anymore (because of their required, earlier, Mac OSXs).

Means, if you should not be able to install any prior Mac OSX than Lion on your iMac, there would be only 2 options available for you.
1) to go back to your old computer and stay with your Pro Tools LE for your Pro Tools work.
2) to upgrade your Pro Tools LE to the latest version of PT which will include independent installers for Pro Tools 10, 11 and 12.
You will have to buy the whole LE-to-Pro Tools 12-Upgrade but you will be able to only download the Pro Tools 10 installer only and run only pro Tools 10 on your system then.

This is the last available LE-to-PT12-Upgrade incl. the Upgrade and Support Plan I have found so far. So if you are interested, hurry up!
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/daw-s...s%20LE&index=1
You also will need such a one if you decide to upgrade your version of Pro Tools.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...icense-manager

And you will have to have a valid iLok account (its free) as well as a valid iLok ID (comes with the iLok account) before starting the upgrade procedure.
Unlike with Pro Tools LE, the licenses of the new versions of Pro Tools are stored on the iLok 2. If you haven´t got an iLok account+iLok ID already you can get it there.
https://www.ilok.com/#!home

Please, mind, to be able to run the latest version of Pro Tools 10 (10.3.10) you will have to install no later Mac OS than Mountain Lion 10.8.5.
Pro Tools 10 will not run on Mac OS Mavericks nor on Mac OS Yosemite!

However you will be able to run PT10 with your current Mac OS Lion 10.7.5. even if Mountain Lion 10.8.5 would be the better choice actually. You can check it all out there.
http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...3-10-Downloads

To sum it up.
With your current iMac which uses Mac OS 10.7.5 you cannot use Pro Tools LE7.4 nor LE8 anymore but you will be able to use Pro Tools 10 if you decide to upgrade.

Anyway you may find out the exact model of your iMac via everymac.com and see if you could install any prior Mac OSX which you could then use your PTLE with.
Remember, the earliest Mac OS you can install on your iMac is the one it once came with. No earlier Mac OSX can be used on this particular Mac.

Hope you can sort this all out and finally find the right route to go for as to your personal needs.

The best of success to you, VRW
Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM

thank you guys for taking the time out and helping me. i been looking at snow leopard vs lion and dont see much of a difference so i probley will downgrade my os.. thank you
Old 07-07-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
thank you guys for taking the time out and helping me. i been looking at snow leopard vs lion and dont see much of a difference so i probley will downgrade my os.. thank you
You still haven't answered one crucial question and that is what OSX version came with you iMac? We need the model name and number and have given you ways to do that. If your computer came with Lion you can't backdate to Snow Leopard. Also it's not what any differences might be between the two operating systems you're looking at it's what will run the ancient PT version you have.

QAPLA!