Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2010, 11:09 AM

Default Pro Tools 8.0.3cs1 Midi Timing is HIDEOUS

I know this subject has been discussed many many times and for months and months, but it is one worth repeating over and over until Digi/Avid makes it a top priority on the fix list.

Midi in PT is almost unusable. The only way to make midi work in PT, is to quantize the hell out of it. Certainly that is NOT desirable when trying to capture human performances. I also work often with Logic 9.1.1. Excellent midi timing is certainly possible.

Digi/Avid - In addition to the best audio editing and mixing software available, you have given us some wonderful midi music creation tools. Thank you so much for the music notation feature. However, the most fundamental element of music is rhythm. The way that midi timing in PT8 works now virtually destroys that most elemental human aspect of the musical experience.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - fix this
(A not accidental reference to the godfather of soul, and an iconic example of the human groove at its all time funky best. Thank goodness James Brown was not trying to get his drummers playing those grooves on a midi controller recording into PT8!!)
Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 8.0.3cs1 Midi Timing is HIDEOUS

If you believe that Logic's midi timing is flawless, then I have a bridge to sell you. That said, Pro Tools needs some midi help as well, but they both do. You want solid midi timing, check out Live.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:26 AM

My post wasn't intended to spark a "battle of the sequencers".
I don't believe that any midi timing is flawless.
PT8 has a well known issue with midi timing that really needs to be fixed.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM

Thumbs down Re: Pro Tools 8.0.3cs1 Midi Timing is HIDEOUS

YEAH!!!!......but how do we get AVID/DIGI to understand the importance of this!?????

We've tried for like "forever". Look at the thread "HUGE ADC BUG".

/J
Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM

Maybe we need to keep harping on this thread so it stays at the top until it's fixed.
DIGI/AVID must be working on it. But, taking months and months and months to address such a basic musical necessity is really not acceptable.

Anyone from Avid/Digi care to give a progress report?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Sealove View Post
Maybe we need to keep harping on this thread so it stays at the top until it's fixed.
DIGI/AVID must be working on it. But, taking months and months and months to address such a basic musical necessity is really not acceptable.

Anyone from Avid/Digi care to give a progress report?
Take a look at my thread "HUGE ADC BUG"!

/J
Old 03-30-2010, 07:54 AM

Will someone from Digi/Avid tech support please respond to this thread with a progress report on fixes for this most serious issue?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 AM

They JUST RESPONDED yesterday on the other thread to tell us to chill out. They have it handled.

There's one guy fixing it, and he has other 'top priorities' as well to fix.

The other thread has been a beacon to disgruntled users all over. It's ok that you started a duplicate thread, but maybe you should read the other thread in hopes that we won't have to point out all this to you secondarily on this one?

Digi knows about MIDI/MIDI+ADC/-9073's/-9031's/video-out-FW/etc etc being the 500 lb gorillas in the room. They just don't have the manpower to get this into shape. And all the above answers a resounding 'YES' in response to my sig.

Good day, sir.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
Digi knows about MIDI/MIDI+ADC/-9073's/-9031's/video-out-FW/etc etc being the 500 lb gorillas in the room. They just don't have the manpower to get this into shape. And all the above answers a resounding 'YES' in response to my sig.
Well that is a good indicator of the condition of any corporation if/when they do not have have the necessary resources to service their products.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.