Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2002, 05:57 AM

Default Re: I see the light!!!!

Still No SSL Yet, thanx for all the great advice (and for keeping yer head up)!

i'm on the other end of the genre field, doing mostly hardcore/metal/etc productions, but i found a lot of your comments quite interesting.

i just finished an album where we did all kinds of drum layering using triggers, Sound Replacer etc. this makes a HUGE improvement in sound, even if you have great sounds to start with. layering gives you alot of new possibilities and/or interesting results. keep it up!
Old 12-16-2002, 08:08 AM

Dirren you'll get a bigger sound if you add to your original sounds as opposed to tweaking your original to death.

When tweaking the original material try a little. It goes a long way.
Old 12-16-2002, 01:35 PM

To Silver surfer:

Dexter Has replaced some of my kicks and added a 909 to one song in particular. as far a dave P I've never used him on one although I'm planning to, however we had several conversations about it and he has mixed several songs for friends of mine. Kd does as does Manny. I've had the pleasure to work with and/or know all of them.

to 360:

sorry to hear that the se 1 is so expensive over there. You might try the ATC instead. It has about 3 times the number of sounds and actually has more bottom end than the se 1 and is cheaper. Since you asked the most common basses that people use here barring soft synths are;

SE1
ATC
Proteus 2000/Mo Phat
Triton/trinity
Roland JP 8000/8080
on rare occasions roland Juno 1 or 2/mks 50

I actually have all of the above except for juno/mks stuff. Almost everyone I know over here has at least one or two of these. The all have atheir own thing depending on what you are going for. You may want to try studio electronics Omega 2 (they make the SE1& Atc) It is like having 2 ATC's with all of the filters.

If you are having so many problems getting the bottom end right then you may really want to look at your room. I spent years buying this piece and that piece before I realized what a crucial roll the accoustics of the room play. I've gone through what you are dealing with and you have to remember that it is the final product that matters. First and for most the song, then the vocals and then the mix. I know that this seems like a pardox but you don't have to have PT and/or the lateset greatest sound module to do great work or even compete (listen to the Neptunes...I believe that their main board for a while was the Korg 01w). What you do need is to be in an enviroment that accaurtely translates what you hear in you studio to CD's so that the rest of the world can hear your vision as well.

good luck

ej
Old 12-17-2002, 01:15 AM

"you'll get a bigger sound if you add to your original sounds as opposed to tweaking your original to death."

well, all samples are of course blended with the originals sounds. as you pointed out, it would make no sense to just use samples in a more "acoustic" genre. i usually use Sound Replacer to add (layer) samples, i was gonna say on top, but it's really underneath, a kick or snare.

next recording i do, i'm gonna use just the "clicks" produced from DDrum triggers and use them as guidance for adding samples to the acoustic sounds (thanx to Andy Sneap for the advice.).
Old 12-17-2002, 05:24 PM

Dirren this technique doesn't just work on drums. Try it on bass and guitars.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]