Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2001, 07:20 PM

Default 5>1 Miro DC30+ Sluggish video/selects

Just installed 5.1- fine in many ways- definitely an improvement in the DSP availability/management arena. HOWEVER worked a tV session first thing- Made movie with Premier.Miro preset. Imported to PT 5.1 session - established about 16 tracks worth of stuff. When the movie is online, if I select an area in a waveform display audio track at my usual rate of speed nothing happens- that is no selection is nade,. Ihave to click and hold for about half a second then pull slowly in the direction I want to select. While I'm doing this, the video in the on screen window is flickereing madly, sort of in time with the sluggishly advancing delineator of selected audio.Also the video on the clients display becomes jittery ( they love that, big advertising agency people, in case anyone wondered). This slowed me down by a factor of about 100 per cent on this session, and nearly drove me mental. also a delay of a few tenths of a sec when hitting play.
No issues the afternoon before in previous Pro tools version. Hello DIGI- anyone got a clue-
we went through a million permutations of drivers.extensons / you name it/ to find a combinaton that would work with 5.0.1/9.0.4
etcetc.
If I take the movie offline all works as it should- instant selection of regions and instant start when sitting play.
No useful suggestions from the phone tech support folks ...
Any ideas anyone? TIA

[This message has been edited by john a (edited April 07, 2001).]
Old 04-05-2001, 08:37 AM
Avid

Default Re: 5>1 Miro DC30+ Sluggish video/selects

-This is a known issue with the DC30+ and PT 5.1. We are currently working on a fix.

Brent
Old 04-07-2001, 07:49 AM

Thanks Brent- Any notion of how far off a patch might be?

John Anthony
MAJAAudioGroup

[This message has been edited by john a (edited April 07, 2001).]
Old 04-07-2001, 11:06 AM

Brent- One small question. When we say "known" issue, what do we mean exactly? Cause I definitely didn't know, and I would have been more than happy to wait until this was fixed to upgrade. Two thirds of my work is film and TV, and this is certain to continue to be more than mildly annoying until it is fixed. Is there a public posting of this problem ( or others of this kind?) that I should have checked? I haven't found any mention of it, but I just might not be looking in the right place. If there is such a place to check for these kinds of issues I'd like to know for future reference.

John Anthony
MAJAAudioGroup

Old 04-07-2001, 11:46 AM

Hey John,

I noticed this too. Try and see if this helps: Hide the movie track in the hide/show column, but keep the movie online. That seemed to help me. I am not in front of my set up right now, so I can't double check.

------------------
Chris Knight
Shadowbox Music Inc.
nyc
Old 04-08-2001, 06:52 PM

Chris-
I had hoped that would help ( it was
SOP in 5.0.1) but it doesn't seem to make any difference in 5.1. Actually, that's the anomaly in a nutshell, in 5.1 the movie track makes the session act as if it's not hidden, whether it is or not.

john a
Old 04-09-2001, 11:09 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally posted by john a:
Brent- One small question. When we say "known" issue, what do we mean exactly? Cause I definitely didn't know, and I would have been more than happy to wait until this was fixed to upgrade.
-A "known" issue is one that has already been discovered/reproduced and documented by our engineers. Perhaps I used incorrect syntax in this case. Instead, I should have used the phrase "recently discovered" since this problem with the DC30 did not surface until after th PT 5.1 release. I apologize for the confusion.

-In any case, we try to document and post all "known" issues to the Web AnswerBase at:
http:///answerbase.digidesign.com

Brent

[This message has been edited by DigiTechSupt (edited April 09, 2001).]
Old 04-09-2001, 01:53 PM

Thanks, Brent. I didn't see this particular issue when I searched the answerbase, but it's good to know to check there for things that come up.
So, any way to estimate how long this might take- if it's going to be months, I'll have to un-upgrade
JA
Old 04-10-2001, 06:20 AM
Avid

-Unfortunately, I do not know as to whether or not this will be fixed in the upcoming maintenance release (PT 5.1.1).

-If it does not, then "months" may be more of a realistic timetablein which to expect a fix.

Brent

Old 04-11-2001, 01:44 PM

Well, I would definitely lobby for a certain sense of urgency concerning this particular manifestation. It really is hard to believe that this problem even exists, given that the DC30/DC30+ probably represent the largest base of affordable video card installs. This isn't something you have to dig deep to find, all you have to do is run a video session on 5.1 with a DC30/30+. I also find it hard to accept that Digi felt fine about releasing this major, and reasonably costly, upgrade without checking such a basic compatibility. And I find it hard to accept that I've paid to upgrade five systems, and three of them have this fairly crippling problem, about which I can't do anything.
Is there a committee that decides what gets fixed first? Is there any way to contact decision makers on that level directly?
Is there any chance I could get my money back?