Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2001, 10:08 PM

Default Re: 5>1 Miro DC30+ Sluggish video/selects

Digi- Are you anywhere with this issue yet? We are all waiting.................
Old 10-09-2001, 03:14 PM

I'm glad someone else is still asking- what's up digidudes? and dudettes...
Old 10-09-2001, 06:25 PM

Bump
Old 10-09-2001, 07:14 PM

Interesting situation. I'm running a DC-30+ with a large PT rig, but using Logic Platinum as a front end. I don't get the problems you're describing, but the DC-30+ does seem to very easily assist in generating -6042 errors.

Obviously, we're all living on borrowed time as far as the DC-30+ is concerned, because it is a dead product from Pinnacle's viewpoint. There evidently will be no further bug fixes, updates, or tweaks to make operation better with the new Macs.

If I were you guys, one thing I'd definitely experiment with would be to try to take as much pressure off of the PCI bus as possible. Have you attempted running exclusively with IDE drives or FireWire drives (i.e. no SCSI and no ATTO). Going this route works wonders for me as far as performance goes.

When working with discontinued, obsolete gear, you have to look for creative solutions.

Lee Blaske
Old 10-10-2001, 07:22 AM

I'm just curious about a couple of things.

First, has anyone had luck with 2.0 Miro drivers? There doesn't seem to be an option to send video to external video monitor. I am assuming that it sends it to both the Mac, and Video. Because of this, I haven't even been able to capture at 640X480 without dropping frames. Premiere 5.1c insists on showing the movie on the computer monitor.

The only reason I am asking this, is to know whether the 2.0 drivers fix the overlapping field issue with previous drivers, when capturing and playing back a 640X480 movie. It is very difficult to acuratelly sync a slap to a flapping hand over three frames. When movie is captured at 320X240 at the same data rate, the problem is gone, but picture playback is jittery on camera pans.
Old 10-10-2001, 01:49 PM

mikejavo,

to see the entire thread go here:
DC30plus driver problems

I created a post a week or so ago about 2.0 I'll quote myself:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> G4-466/384 megs ram
PT TDM 5.1.1
320/240 miromotion JPEGA capture, etc.

A couple of months ago I moved the PT rig from a 9600 to G4. At that time I was running DC30plus, with 1.1.2 drivers and premiere 4.2.1

For a short time it worked in the new rig with 1.2.1 drivers from DC30 plus. Then it suddenly stopped working. I went through a heap of DC30plus driver/ Premiere settings/ permutaions and was forced to upgrade to premeire 6.0 (leapfrogged over 5.1 because it was unavailable). This has been my primary source of pain with the rig as of late.

Our objective (because of the room setup and client viewing) is to be able to get a clean picture on the second computer monitor and at the same time on a video monitor.

I do not belive this to be related to the digitizing settings, because I went through many permutations of Premiere settings and the results were the same regardlsess of Premiere settings. Instead I beleive it to be DC30 Driver related. I have found 2 combinations that "kind of" work, but to boil it down here are the two not so optimum setups, both with their own set of problems:

Option 1.) DC30Plus 2.0 drivers -- Plays on both monitors. TV picture clean, Quicktime picture sluggish in and outside of PT. and is corrupted on lower 1/15th of picture, even if played right with Quicktime movie viewer, or Pemiere. Corruption occurs regardless of which drivers or which version of Premiere were in place during digitizing. For example even older video clips originally digitized in 4.2.1 play back this way with 2.0 drivers.

Option 2.) DC30Plus 1.21 drivers -- Premeire 6 will not function properly with this driver. 5.1 not commercially available. Control strip which allows toggle between Mac and video does not function properly. Will not actually toggle. Instead setting must be made, then movie must be re-imported for toggle switching to take effect. In movie to mac mode, movie plays on Mac flawlessly, but no picture to video. In movie to video toggle, movie plays on both computer and video , but during PT nudge picture has distracting white flashes on Mac screen , but continues to look fine on video screen. Automatic mode in DC30 control stip module same as video settings. **** ** **<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike
(323) 851-0299
[email protected]
www.tfpost.com
Old 10-10-2001, 04:36 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>First, has anyone had luck with 2.0 Miro drivers? There doesn't seem to be an option to send video to external video monitor. I am assuming that it sends it to both the Mac, and Video.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's correct.

The version 2.0 were not updated for OS 9.1 onward or the newer G4's, but it seems to work (at least it does for me).

Lee Blaske
Old 10-11-2001, 11:11 AM

I recall reading something about QuickTime 5 being an inhibiting factor. Does anyone run that with the DC30+ successfully or are you using QT 4.1.2?
http://www.compressionrecords.com
Old 10-12-2001, 12:36 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john a:
Just installed 5.1- fine in many ways- definitely an improvement in the DSP availability/management arena. HOWEVER worked a tV session first thing- Made movie with Premier.Miro preset. Imported to PT 5.1 session - established about 16 tracks worth of stuff. When the movie is online, if I select an area in a waveform display audio track at my usual rate of speed nothing happens- that is no selection is nade,. Ihave to click and hold for about half a second then pull slowly in the direction I want to select. While I'm doing this, the video in the on screen window is flickereing madly, sort of in time with the sluggishly advancing delineator of selected audio.Also the video on the clients display becomes jittery ( they love that, big advertising agency people, in case anyone wondered). This slowed me down by a factor of about 100 per cent on this session, and nearly drove me mental. also a delay of a few tenths of a sec when hitting play.
No issues the afternoon before in previous Pro tools version. Hello DIGI- anyone got a clue-
we went through a million permutations of drivers.extensons / you name it/ to find a combinaton that would work with 5.0.1/9.0.4
etcetc.
If I take the movie offline all works as it should- instant selection of regions and instant start when sitting play.
No useful suggestions from the phone tech support folks ...
Any ideas anyone? TIA

[This message has been edited by john a (edited April 07, 2001).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for clarity, I thought I would repost my original delineation of my problem- this is running on a beige G3 minitower with bit 3 7-slot chassis. Absolutely no problems with this config until 5.1 installation. Brent responded to my post by saying that this was a known problem and a fix was being worked on. It is now six months later; I have found no way to remedy this situation, and haven't heard anything else from Digi about whether there's any work ongoing on this problem. To be clear- in my situation, PRO TOOLS isn't working as it should. Video playback is fine as long as I'm not trying to select or manipulate a region.
Just throwing this out there in the hopes there might be some new info forthcoming.
Thanks

JohnA
Old 10-12-2001, 07:01 AM
Avid

To be completely honest, there is no new information regarding this issue...the last news I received was that using the v1.2.1 drivers fixed the problems, but apparently, they did not.

Upon briefly reviewing this thread, I did not see any information regarding the following:
-Movie capture settings (data rate, frame size, codec, etc)?

-Video output display settings (are you only outputting to an NTSC monitor)?

-How is the Movie Window/Track displayed on your Computer monitor?

-Are you using a separate drive and/or bus for your Video data?

At this point, it may help to take a look at these things.

Brent