Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 09:46 AM

Default Apogee and PT LE

Ok. None of the existing PT LE interfaces record at 24bit 192kHz. What if, next to my Digi002 I connect an Apogee Rosetta? Does PT LE support 192 kHz?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Apogee and PT LE

Nope! 92 is tops, but that is just into the 002.... the Rosetta 800 though is a great addition and a HUGE improvement on the 002 converters. I love mine, and the ability to have all 18i/os is a great thing. 8 on the 002. 8 with the rosetta, and 2 Sp/dif

I track and clock to the Rosetta and LOVE it.

- Doc

STUDIO PICS

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 02-16-2005, 08:14 AM

What do you mean by huge improvement? If the 8 ADAT channels are 24bit/48 kHz max, how can it be possible for rosetta to change them into 24bit 96 kHz?
Old 02-16-2005, 08:32 AM

Mantaray,

There are two components in a/d and d/a converters that are equally important. One is the actual converter itself, and the second is the clock. Great converters with a crappy clock makes for a bad conversion as do a great clock with bad converters. The Apogee has one of the best most stable clocks in the digital world and if you hook up your apogee to your 002 and use the external clock feature of pt you can then use the fantastic clock of the apogee and your 002 converters will show a substantial improvment, especially at the higher frequencies.

I think that a stable clock such as the apogee for a good 44k or 48k converter is more important then simply having a higher sample rate. Whats the point of having higher sample rates if the clock is not accurate enough for 44k recordings.

Christian
Old 02-16-2005, 09:23 AM

not wanting to get into the nitty gritty of it all but the clock is but one of the important factors, all be it a very important one! the filters and analogue component are equally important in good AD/DA's as is the actual converter itself. many companies try to sell you their equipment based purely on specification rather than a good balance of both spec and real world fidelity.

imo, apogee and rme have the balance sitting just about right at a reasonable price point. there are of course many, many other options but given the jump in price vs. sonic performance increase i can barely see it as justifiable for your home/project or even professional recording setup. professional mastering is, however, a different kettle of fish altogether...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:11 AM

What about the Rosetta 200 for us who don't need over 2 in's? Or how about the Mini Me and the Mini DAC?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:43 AM

If having a different clock changes the sound that significantly, would syncing up to an ADAT do the same thing? Would it be any better (than the stock sound), or is the ADAT clock not that stable itself?
Old 02-16-2005, 12:29 PM

I had my Apogee AD16-X hooked to my 002 before moving to HD2 Accel... big difference.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:31 PM

One interesting fact, if you use a apogee and then get it in to le using002 thats ok, but remember that the 002 converters themself perform worse with an externel clock (even if it´s a better clock) there was a test that checked this and non of the interfaces tested performed good/better on an external clock because the phase lock loop is so difficult. Only use external clocks to synchronise a whole system wich ofcourse is essential, but you can´t improve a audio interface with a better clock because there is jitter introduced in the syncing. Just to be totaly clear if you use a very good audioconverter on it´s own clock you can get it onto protools through any synced interface without proplem.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:37 PM

Madrock,

My intentions were not to get into the nitty gritty but to make sure that folks understand the importance of a good clock. I also totally agree that folks try to sell you simply on the specs, whether or not the product is quality enough to be worthy of the specs it carries. I assure you that the converters in the sb with 192 converters sound worse then stuff in the 001 which is only capable of 48k.

Mark,

Depending on what kind of clock your adat device is using it will make a difference. I would not think many adats would have as stable a clock as the 002 (i have not checked on this), but many folks agree that the octopre and digimax have much better clocks then the 002 and clock to that. Again this is one of those things you would probly want to investigate yourself to see if you like the sound better.

Christian