Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 04-11-2018, 08:30 AM

Default recomendations: non-HD interfaces for pro tools 12

Hi I have a Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan with pt 12.8.2. Someone have recomendations of compatible non-HD interfaces? Preferably with usb connection, good price, good phone output and the smaller number of i/o possible.
Thanks!
Old 04-11-2018, 09:47 AM

Default Re: recomendations: non-HD interfaces for pro tools 12

What kind of work are you planning to do?
Old 04-12-2018, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
What kind of work are you planning to do?
Edit sound for movies
Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomartins View Post
Edit sound for movies
So you're going to need at least 6 outputs for 5.1 mixing(which means HD or "Ultimate" software). Focusrite, MOTU, Antelope and RME are all solid options. If you want to use UA Plugins, then Apollo moves to the top of the list

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-13-2018, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
So you're going to need at least 6 outputs for 5.1 mixing(which means HD or "Ultimate" software). Focusrite, MOTU, Antelope and RME are all solid options. If you want to use UA Plugins, then Apollo moves to the top of the list
I dont need 6 outputs. just one. I work with phone. Its not for mixing, just edit dialog and backgrounds. I have ultimate software. Thanks for the recomendations Albee! And its not for recording too. So I just need one out for phones and a usb connection.

In other words i need the most simple option, that works fine with OSx 10.11.6 and pro tools ultimate 2018.4 and a good cost bennefict!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:35 AM

Use the onboard audio of your computer
Old 04-14-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomartins View Post
Hi I have a Mac OSX 10.11.6 El Capitan with pt 12.8.2. Someone have recomendations of compatible non-HD interfaces? Preferably with usb connection, good price, good phone output and the smaller number of i/o possible.
Thanks!
Even if this little box does offer more than you seem to need its unbeatable as for its sound quality in this price range and its definitely working with Pro Tools 12/2018.
It´s plug n play, class compliant which means you don't need any driver and under normal circumstances it is a very stable little interface with PT12. Big Bang for the buck.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-scarlett-2i2
https://global.focusrite.com/usb-aud...s/scarlett-2i2

If you really don't need any inputs but very high output quality and you want it really small, this one might be something for you. However, even if it might be worth the price
in regards to its audio quality, it is not the most affordable thing in the world.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-headphone-amp
http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/groove

Again, the Apogee doesn't need any drivers, which is a very good thing, its just plug n play and it does work with any Mac computer.

Cheers.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:56 AM

I would like to better understand why it is that HD is considered better than “non-avid interface” Pro Tools for tracking.

Is it because the avid hardware (e.g., a 192 I/O) is faster at access information of the computer’s recording disc than a non-avid interface?
Is it because the avid hardware has faster converters than the non-avid interface/converter?
Is it because, when using plug-ins while tracking, the DSP on the avid interface provides better performance? Is this still true if you do not use plug-ins during tracking?
Or is it because of some other reason that I have no idea about- what is that other reason?

I am asking because I face that inevitable decision. After having used Pro Tools for tracking and editing for over 16 years (most of that in a TDM environment), I have to decide whether to spend big bucks on a new HD system or go with a non-avid interface version. I use Pro Tools for tracking and editing (and, on occasion, for sharing stuff with other studios). I mix analog (on rare occasions, I do mix ITB; but that is not often enough to factor into my decision) and I do not see that changing anytime in the near future.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 PM

The DSP is on the HDX cards, not the interface.

If you use only AAX-DSP stuff (plugins), in essence all processing is happening on the cards (mixer and plugin processing) and the system will have the smallest latency of any system. If you use native plugins, then that changes.

The latency of Avid hardware is programmed into Pro Tools so Pro Tools will automatically compensate correctly for it (both inserts and inputs). Many third-party audio interfaces that connect via the same HDX (digilink) connectors emulate not only being an Avid interface but the delays of the Avid hardware to take advantage of this compensation.