Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 AM

Default 5 most missing features from S3

If you had to name 5 most missing features from S3 control surface, what would they be?

Here is my list:

- user maps for plugins (like on Command|8)
- automatic focus on plugins that are targeted on screen (like on Command|8)
- Soft Keys on top row of encoders, where color LEDs and scribble strips could get some use for snapshots, memory locations, etc.
- VCA layer (like on Command|8): user layouts are great, but it would be awesome if we had a layer with VCA groups only without having to set it up manually. Also, VCA Spill layouts independent from show/hide in Pro Tools would be useful as well
- quick creating custom fader layouts from channels that are selected in Pro Tools. Currently setting them up one by one in Eucon window is a bit slow.

Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 11-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Avid

Default Re: 5 most missing features from S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
If you had to name 5 most missing features from S3 control surface, what would they be?

Here is my list:

- user maps for plugins (like on Command|8)
- automatic focus on plugins that are targeted on screen (like on Command|8)
- Soft Keys on top row of encoders, where color LEDs and scribble strips could get some use for snapshots, memory locations, etc.
- VCA layer (like on Command|8): user layouts are great, but it would be awesome if we had a layer with VCA groups only without having to set it up manually. Also, VCA Spill layouts independent from show/hide in Pro Tools would be useful as well
- quick creating custom fader layouts from channels that are selected in Pro Tools. Currently setting them up one by one in Eucon window is a bit slow.

On the upcoming December 9th webinar we have some tips on how to setup Layouts with Pro Tools quicker… Stay tuned for links to register after the holiday.

I will pass along your feedback.

Thanks,
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 11-25-2014, 01:43 PM

1. custom plugin mapping (you can already do that with the artist series working with nuendo, come on..)
2. vca spill for the control surface mode
3. properly displayed automation mode on the display. latch for latch, touch for touch, read for read and so on like on the s6. not just r for read and rw for latch and touch, like on the artist series.
4. preference to switch the track record arm button to the automation mode select button by default.
5. as much user defined buttons as possilble (at least the whole automation window should be accessible without having to press the shift button

these are absolute musts for me. without that, i'm not going to buy it. although i'm waiting for more than two years now for a better solution than the artist series..

Last edited by studiosus; 11-25-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: missing tought
Old 12-19-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
On the upcoming December 9th webinar we have some tips on how to setup Layouts with Pro Tools quicker… Stay tuned for links to register after the holiday.

I will pass along your feedback.

Thanks,
Tom
I watched the webinar and it seems the only way to create custom layout is selecting tracks one by one. That's not what I originally meant.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 01-24-2015, 01:25 AM

Yes, in use, I find that my most important feature would be mapping custom layouts from the surface with out ever having to look at eucon. Should be as simple as selecting a number of tracks and then pressing and holding one of the layout buttons for 3 seconds or something. that or hitting multi assign and then the layout button of choice. Definitely a must. The layouts are the real strength of this controller, but setting them up is the most time consuming part of the mix prep. I have created mix templates to get around this, but there's no one size fits all template…

Second to this would be properly displayed automation modes….