Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Need Some Help w/ New Gear

What kind of sound do you really want? One trick before you do anything else is to hard-pan the guitar track one way and assign an aux with a short delay hard-panned the other way. This creates a bigger "wall" sound. But is it the distortion you're not liking? Is it the amp? A cheap alternative is get a POD-XT and record direct. If you like your amp, might I suggest get a Royer R122 active Ribbon Microphone? Email me an MP3 of your sound to [email protected] and I'll check out what you mean.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:10 PM

if you are planning to use a plug-in amp simulator,you might want to check out "amplitube" from" ik multimedia.com".
they have a demo version for download.
it's also a good idea to feed your guitar to a direct box before the a/d convertor of 001.
happy recording. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2002, 07:17 PM

I hate to point it out, but you might need to upgrade your front end - mics and preamps. The SM57 might work for a belting rock vocal but will probably let you down for other approaches. I can't comment on the Hartman Audio mic, but if it's a budget large condenser you may want to compare it to a Rode NT1 or Studio Projects C1 at the very least? Depends on your budget.

As for guitar tones, IIRC the Carvins have a very particular sound. Are you creating tonal variations when layering tracks? If not, the sound is probably getting weaker as you add each track. Try different mic positions for each track - straight into the cone, off axis, even pointing into the cabinet between the speakers. By all means use SansAmp to add some more colour, even stomp boxes that you wouldn't normally use live. Bear in mind SansAmp is fairly CPU-hungry.

You seem to be oriented to using plugs whereas I would point you towards the input stage. One of the golden rules of audio, "you can't polish a turd". Try and capture the sound you want, at-the-source.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:02 AM

Default Need Some Help w/ New Gear

I went out and purchased the Digi 001 and a new Pc about a year ago(I know, mac is better but oh well I got the PC) I've had many hours tweaking the sounds and useing the weak stock plug-in. Well now Im glad to say I've upgraded to The Waves Gold Pack. This is what Im currently using

Carvin sx-200
Jackson ps6t w/ Emg's
Shure sm 57's
a Hartman Audio Mic

Now, I've recorded about 40 tracks but I keep having that thirst to make a better sound. I cant seem to get a rich full distortion on my mix. Clean guitar doesnt seem to be a problem. Vocals lack richness as well. Can a full sound be achieved pluging my guitar directly into my digi preamp using a sansamp plug? Also what other plugs should i use and in what order (i have the waves pack) I can post a sample mp3 If someones willing to take the case. Happy Recording!