Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2021, 09:21 AM

Default MIDI Weirdness

I have 3 MIDI interfaces and can't seem to sort out address issues. Probably simple for someone who isn't me. I'm new to doing MIDI things, so no expert here.

The first device is a Behringer BCF2000 control surface that's connected via USB cable, and works great.

Next is a Focusrite 18i20 (3rd gen) interface connected from its MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT on my Yamaha E-drums. I use a dtExplorer kit to drive Steven Slate Drum samples, and it does quite well. I do get some warning about a "potential feedback loop" with the Slate Drums, so I'm not sure what that's all about (yet).

The next is a MIDI-USB cable connected with a Korg Kross MIDI I/O that I use for driving my virtual keyboards.

Here's where the problem begins. Right now I'm trying to drive an Arturia Mellotron, but the keyboard tries to play the drum samples instead. The e-drums still play the samples normally as well.

IF I have only a keyboard instrument track, then the keyboard works fine with the Mellotron etc. It's just that 2 things aren't going separate places.

I try futzing with the MIDI assignments, like put the Kross on ch 8, set the track accordingly, but no joy. Everything shows up in the MIDI device list as expected. I've tried the default-thru setting in MIDI Preferences for different instruments, but no joy there either other than the instrument set as the default-thru.

Appreciate any suggestions, FAQ pointers I couldn't find, etc. I don't seem to have this issue in my other DAWS.
Thanks !
Old 02-02-2021, 03:47 PM

Default Re: MIDI Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_g View Post
I have 3 MIDI interfaces and can't seem to sort out address issues. Probably simple for someone who isn't me. I'm new to doing MIDI things, so no expert here.

The first device is a Behringer BCF2000 control surface that's connected via USB cable, and works great.

Next is a Focusrite 18i20 (3rd gen) interface connected from its MIDI IN to the MIDI OUT on my Yamaha E-drums. I use a dtExplorer kit to drive Steven Slate Drum samples, and it does quite well. I do get some warning about a "potential feedback loop" with the Slate Drums, so I'm not sure what that's all about (yet).

The next is a MIDI-USB cable connected with a Korg Kross MIDI I/O that I use for driving my virtual keyboards.

Here's where the problem begins. Right now I'm trying to drive an Arturia Mellotron, but the keyboard tries to play the drum samples instead. The e-drums still play the samples normally as well.

IF I have only a keyboard instrument track, then the keyboard works fine with the Mellotron etc. It's just that 2 things aren't going separate places.

I try futzing with the MIDI assignments, like put the Kross on ch 8, set the track accordingly, but no joy. Everything shows up in the MIDI device list as expected. I've tried the default-thru setting in MIDI Preferences for different instruments, but no joy there either other than the instrument set as the default-thru.

Appreciate any suggestions, FAQ pointers I couldn't find, etc. I don't seem to have this issue in my other DAWS.
Thanks !
Do you really need multiple interfaces? Since you are new to this, you could just simplify things by using only one interface to start with. As you become more experienced you can add add another interface if you need it. Each port has 16 channels that you can use simultaneously.
If you find it easier to use multiple interfaces, try setting your midi inputs in PT to 'all' (which should make all your midi interfaces available) and see if that doesn't resolve your conflicts, then assign different output channels to different instruments as needed. Basically, you only need your interface when physically playing an instrument unless of course you use lots of sounds from hardware instruments, which will need different midi cables for each instrument. If you use mostly VI's it's very easy because each one will present you with its own set of 16 virtual channels.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_g View Post

Thanks !
Are all of your input devices appearing in the Midi Input Enable window also checked?

Are you using an Instrument track (midi and audio features combined) or a separate midi track for each device routed through an audio track with the Arturia software?

Sometimes with multiple keyboards or devices, I find keeping a midi track for each software VST keeps things easier to manage when tracing back through midi problems.

So if you are using separate midi tracks you set the input of the that track to the interface you want to receive from (also possibly the channel but generally I set it to Omni) and the output to the channel you want to send to the Arturia synth channel.

Do the same with the Slate VST i.e. set up a separate midi track pointed to the VST track. That should keep things separate. If there is a conflict try another channel on either VST.

I see you are from Wake Forest NC, my wife and I are moving there in the coming months.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
Are all of your input devices appearing in the Midi Input Enable window also checked?

Are you using an Instrument track (midi and audio features combined) or a separate midi track for each device routed through an audio track with the Arturia software?

Sometimes with multiple keyboards or devices, I find keeping a midi track for each software VST keeps things easier to manage when tracing back through midi problems.

So if you are using separate midi tracks you set the input of the that track to the interface you want to receive from (also possibly the channel but generally I set it to Omni) and the output to the channel you want to send to the Arturia synth channel.

Do the same with the Slate VST i.e. set up a separate midi track pointed to the VST track. That should keep things separate. If there is a conflict try another channel on either VST.

I see you are from Wake Forest NC, my wife and I are moving there in the coming months.

Welcome! It's a growing area. We don't typically get earthquakes (except for a few years ago), but the hurricanes and humidity keep it interesting.

No, to answer your question, I'm just using an instrument track for each one. I'll try the MIDI track alongside the instrument tracks. I appreciate the suggestion.

Pending success, it's certainly more trouble than the other DAWs that just do it in one track each. Then again, I've never liked the cross fades in PT either. Glad I didn't pay for another year, this could well be my last Pro Tools version. It has lots of great stuff, but IMO sometimes Avid can't see the forest for the trees.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
Do you really need multiple interfaces? Since you are new to this, you could just simplify things by using only one interface to start with. As you become more experienced you can add add another interface if you need it. Each port has 16 channels that you can use simultaneously.
If you find it easier to use multiple interfaces, try setting your midi inputs in PT to 'all' (which should make all your midi interfaces available) and see if that doesn't resolve your conflicts, then assign different output channels to different instruments as needed. Basically, you only need your interface when physically playing an instrument unless of course you use lots of sounds from hardware instruments, which will need different midi cables for each instrument. If you use mostly VI's it's very easy because each one will present you with its own set of 16 virtual channels.
The short answer is probably "no" since I can only play/record one track at a time. I have a MOTU micro lite to better-manage my MIDI instruments, and it shows up just fine.

I'm trying to prove out these capabilities before I start recording people again, and trying to set up some reliable templates. I'd also like to be able to accommodate several "virtual players" but sometimes noise level can be a problem (residential).

Thanks for the tip, and I will try your suggestion.