Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Pro Tools and a Midi Controller...

Hey there fellow PT peeps; I have a question regarding a specific midi issue. Trying to troubleshoot the mystery midi signal.

I have a Novation Impulse 25 controller, with an Imac 27", late 2014 OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, 32GB ram. PT version 12.5.2 HD.
I run Kontact, Iris, Reason, and a bunch of other programs on an instrument track feeding an Aux.
I'm also running Automap 4, which is a mapping tool for the Novation Impulse, where you enable/disable plugs assigned to the keyboard.
Problem:
This is intermittent, and (like this time) sometimes baffles me. Yesterday I was using the controller just fine, then I switched from Kontact to Iris, and my midi connection had to be reset...no prob.
Setup -- Prefs -- Midi -- Default Thru Instrument -- (desired channel)
So, the Impulse controller has midi drum triggers (pads), when I hit them, it triggers the plug-in within PT, but for some reason my midi keyboard isn't triggering! I tried resetting and going through the keyboard settings...nada.
I know that I'm getting a controller signal to PT because the pads are triggering, but I'm stuck and it's probably obvious. I'm pretty sure this is a controller setting.
Does anyone have any insight on something I may have overlooked?
Thanks in advance
Old 05-23-2017, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and a Midi Controller...

Yes - have you looked at the Novation pages for help? Here's a link to one of their pages where they say Automap won't work with PT11 and by extension PT12 because Automap doesn't support AAZX format. https://support.novationmusic.com/hc...-Pro-Tools-11-
and here's another link:
https://support.novationmusic.com/hc...-with-Automap-

QAPLA!
Old 05-23-2017, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools and a Midi Controller...

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yes - have you looked at the Novation pages for help? Here's a link to one of their pages where they say Automap won't work with PT11 and by extension PT12 because Automap doesn't support AAZX format. https://support.novationmusic.com/hc...-Pro-Tools-11-
and here's another link:
https://support.novationmusic.com/hc...-with-Automap-

Hi Jack,
Thanks for that. I had poked around in the Novation Help page, but still can't seem to find this rogue problem.
Everything seems to work except the keyboard itself. When I move the pitchwheel, drum pads, and the (programmable knobs), it registers on the plugin, but the keyboard is somehow disabled.