Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Default Feature Request: Quick Bounce!

I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered but I didn't find anything about it in previous postings.

For future, can't we have a Quick Bounce feature so we don't have to wait for the entire song to play? Same goes with Virtual Instruments.

Btw - I finally got my setup to be reliable. Turning off Spotlight Indexing and Airport really works ;-)
Old 04-09-2007, 09:06 AM

Default Re: Feature Request: Quick Bounce!

Yeah that's "the reason", but I wish it was an option myself. So those mixes/users that don't use outboard gear didn't have to wait. However I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:25 AM

I have been waiting for this feature for ages....
I regularly have clients doing hour long radio programs with music under that needs to be edited.
I really wished I could use protools to do this, but have long since given up and used samplitude / cakewalk / audition for such things. I still use protools for all music tracking though.

Quick bounce is definitely most welcome and I would use protools exclusively for audio (including to service the hour long stuff) if/when it happens)

Regards
Robin
Old 04-09-2007, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's "the reason", but I wish it was an option myself. So those mixes/users that don't use outboard gear didn't have to wait. However I wouldn't hold my breath.
Yeah, it's quite a crappy reason.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:28 AM

I also wish Pro Tools had some sort of quick bounce feature then i could bin Logic Express for good. I only use it because of it's flexible offline bounce options, specifically the mp3 bounce with iD3 tag editing, saves a lot of time for multiple file editing on the fly, not pro audio more web stuff.

Cheers
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I have been waiting for this feature for ages....
Then your "ages" must not be very long. Protools used to have non-realtime bounce back in a day, but they changed that once realtime TDM was introduced. The realtime nature of TDM makes it impossible to bounce non-realtime even if the mix is ITB all the way. And because it is not feasible for Digidesign to maintain two different engines, PTLE got the same realtime engine PTHD had, which is great.

But that's secondary.

The reason why *you* in fact *need* the realtime bounce is quality. How could you deliver a bounce to a client if you hadn't first listened to it yourself? I know I couldn't. Now how many of you can listen to the final bounce faster than realtime? At least my ears don't work that way. And as the realtime listening session is required, then, why not listen to it while it bounces? It actually saves time! You don't have to wait for that non-realtime bounce to finish before you can start listening, and if you find there's a problem, you don't have to even finish the bounce.

And then again; if the mix puts a 80% load to the CPU and you were able to bounce non-realtime (using 100% cpu), then you would only theoretically gain 20% which in real life would be about 15% 'cause the operating system will also need its cycles. Now if you have that huge one-hour radio show to bounce and you save 15% time, how much is it? Not even 10 minutes. That's nothing.

Just use what you have and save your energy by not whining about what you don't have.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 AM

Many people bounce, turn the volume down and then go have a coffee. They really dont sit there and listen.

But in todays age of very faster computers we expect to save time every step of the way.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 AM

Quote:
in todays age of very faster computers we expect to save time every step of the way
Yes! But the bounce time is really not a "time waster" compared to all the crap we do all day long. When I take a leak, i "waste" more time than I could gain from non-realtime bounce. I myself get the coffee cup first and *then* bounce while listening. I want to make sure whatever I deliver is 100% what I have meant it to be.

And on another note; I can easily mix a song more than an hour faster if I decide to trust my initial instinct compared to tweaking few knobs until it seems "perfect". It is never perfect! So would I save more by shaving a minute away from the bounce or cutting an hour from the mixing? No-brainer to me. If the schedule is tight, then I have to worry about other things than the five minutes spent on the bounce.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:31 AM

A helpful hint that most of you might know - but for the new kids - Say you are bouncing an hour long track and reference listening as is suggested in this topic. It's minute 53 and you have a problem you hadn't heard before. You have to stop the bounce, fix the problem, and start back at the beginning with a new bounce. That to me was the most frustrating part of a real-time bounce. Now when I "bounce" I always record all of my audio down to a stereo track (or mono track if that's all that's needed) meaning I route all of my audio to a stereo track that is record enabled. That way if something has gone awry at minute 53, I can stop the recording process while still retaining the previous 52 minutes of program material. Fix the problem and continue recording. At the end consolidate the stereo track and export it. It doesn't bypass a single long pass, but it will defaintly prevent having to make more than one pass. This is also helpful if you have some situation arise where you need to get something to a client in the middle of bouncing out that hour long documentary. Stop the process, save, and can come back later picking up where you left off.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 AM

Jfreak -

To satisfy everyone, why can't we have an option that does both? For those who do not want to spend another round listening to their mix bounce. It's a reasonable assumption that the producer has already listened to the mix in its entirety so why wait for another pass? But sometimes they make a minor mistake after a bounce.

Example.
I'm ready to bounce a 10 minute song. I wait 10 minutes and happy about the bounce. EXCEPT I forgot to mute a clip. Now I have to go back, mute, and wait another 10 minutes.

Or,
I can mute it, do a quick bounce. And in a short moment. Have the mix that's meant to be.