Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2004, 08:37 AM

Default Control surface - MIDI interface

Ok

So I switched to Pro tools Le 6.4 on an MBOX, bought a couple of CM labs Motormixes and a dashboard, jacked it through my Midisport 2x2 and proceeded to get the whole "protools freezing" and "motormix lost connection" issues that seem to be riddled throughout this forum.

I'm not going to revisit old ground (dont panic). I know its an issue with the Midisport and I realise I'm going to have to splash some more cash on another midi interface.

The point of this post is to get hard practical facts and "recommended midi interface" suggestions from people who have had control surface issues with various makes and models.

Its obvious from a search in the forums that this issue is not exclusive to one control surface and it is also obvious that some people have had success running the Midisport boxes.
However..... one thing I noted is that 9 times out of 10 when someone says they run a Midisport with no issues, they neglect to mention if they are actually using a control surface which is where the incompatibility issue lies.

So to show that I'm on about the same issue as everbody else...

I have performed all the self tests on my CMlabs gear and they pass with flying colours and I can indeed run Protools for a short while. The problem is the constant stream of MIDI data which passes to and from the control surface. When I punch up for example a "plug in" and turn the knob on the motormix there is no problem until I try turning the knob a little bit faster which results in a surge of midi data which then bombs out pro tools. The motormix and dashboard lose connection, I can still move my mouse in Windows, but Protools is fried.

OK ...anyone who has had these (or similar) issues and replaced their MIDI interface and solved their problems, just drop in a little reply telling us what your control surface is and what the make and model of the interface is that makes everything work as it should do.

Hopefully this will also dispell some peoples paranoia about their control surfaces being the problem or simply being "duds", "defective", "useless" or "outdated"

Be it Cmlabs, Mackie, Behringer, Peavey or a little wooden box you knocked up in an Electronics club, we know the problem so lets see the solutions, plain and simple.

Cheers People

freakybeatz
Old 09-25-2004, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Control surface - MIDI interface

Do you get the Protools has run out of 82 byte tokens error? If you do, you can create a text file to alot more tokens..I use a Mackie Baby Hui with a Midiman 1x1 and until I increased tokens I had the freeze problem..Especially when I tried to do things to fast.
Go to C:\Program Files\Digidesign\Protools..Create a text file with Notepad and name it TokenSizes.Then put this text in the document
Size:Count1 82:1000
Size:Count2 0:0

Then open Protools again and see if you still have the problem.If you do, close Protools and go back to your text document and make the second line the same as the first.You can keep adding lines up to, I think 10.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:27 PM

Hi Bazzle

I should have mentioned in my first post that the "token issue" doesnt rear its head in this scenario, but thanks for the reply...:)

Freakybeatz
Old 09-25-2004, 03:35 PM

OK,if it ever does, you will know what to do..

Old 09-25-2004, 04:28 PM

I think you are correct about the constant stream of midi derailing protools. Most users don't have a midi-control-surface, so that's why it doesnt get mentioned......

Bastiaan