Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM

Default Avid S3 suport plan clarification please.

Can someone in the know please explain exactly what subscription plan/s Avid S3 owners will need to pay in order to receive the latest Eucon software releases?

Thanks
Old 08-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Avid

Default Re: Avid S3 suport plan clarification please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszuki View Post
Can someone in the know please explain exactly what subscription plan/s Avid S3 owners will need to pay in order to receive the latest Eucon software releases?

Thanks
Hey Kriszuki,

EuControl software releases/control surfaces do not require support plans.

With EuControl/Artist/S3, features are delivered in adapters. The Pro Tools adapter gets features first.

That's why there is an advantage to being on the latest version of Pro Tools when you have an EuControl/Artist/S3 surface, the latest version of Pro Tools will have the latest adapter.

3P's can implement features after Pro Tools does, when we make them available in the public SDK. It's a priority to us to implement the latest features. 3P's are variably incentivized to implement SDK features, so if control surface integration is important to you, the latest version of Pro Tools is the best solution. If you use new EuControl software with old adapters, your mileage may vary.

S6 is a separate technology base and delivery target for features.
A lot of features are S6 specific, and are not realized in EuControl surfaces.

It’s above and beyond what EUCON in the EuControl world does, and takes substantial development.

If you use old S6 software with new DAW adapters, your mileage may vary, you won’t have access to the latest development on both sides.
So there is a definite advantage to being on Pro Tools and S6 support plans.

JC
Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM

Cheers for the clarification.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
Hey Kriszuki,

EuControl software releases/control surfaces do not require support plans.

With EuControl/Artist/S3, features are delivered in adapters. The Pro Tools adapter gets features first.

That's why there is an advantage to being on the latest version of Pro Tools when you have an EuControl/Artist/S3 surface, the latest version of Pro Tools will have the latest adapter.

3P's can implement features after Pro Tools does, when we make them available in the public SDK. It's a priority to us to implement the latest features. 3P's are variably incentivized to implement SDK features, so if control surface integration is important to you, the latest version of Pro Tools is the best solution. If you use new EuControl software with old adapters, your mileage may vary.

S6 is a separate technology base and delivery target for features.
A lot of features are S6 specific, and are not realized in EuControl surfaces.

It’s above and beyond what EUCON in the EuControl world does, and takes substantial development.

If you use old S6 software with new DAW adapters, your mileage may vary, you won’t have access to the latest development on both sides.
So there is a definite advantage to being on Pro Tools and S6 support plans.

JC
To be clear, let's say I'm using PTHD11, I own an S-3, and I never join a PT Support Plan, will I continue to get all S-3 updates for free?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-28-2015, 11:19 PM

Just FYI... I originally registered an Artist Mix for use with Media Composer. That enabled me to obtain all current Eucon releases, and with no support plan.

I use my new S3 with Cubase, and have no connection to Pro Tools.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
To be clear, let's say I'm using PTHD11, I own an S-3, and I never join a PT Support Plan, will I continue to get all S-3 updates for free?
You'll have access to EuControl without a support contract.

The issue is that your results may vary on legacy software as half of making S3 (and all EUCON devices) work well with DAWs is DAW specific development.

Most companies don't add new features to old releases, so any DAW's interoperability with EUCON will be dependent on their resource allocation to and deployment of the latest EUCON adapter.

We generally support the latest and previous release for testing and qualifications, but new features are only in the latest version.

JC
Old 08-31-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist PM View Post
You'll have access to EuControl without a support contract.

The issue is that your results may vary on legacy software as half of making S3 (and all EUCON devices) work well with DAWs is DAW specific development.

Most companies don't add new features to old releases, so any DAW's interoperability with EUCON will be dependent on their resource allocation to and deployment of the latest EUCON adapter.

We generally support the latest and previous release for testing and qualifications, but new features are only in the latest version.

JC
JC, that was never the case before with any of the controllers. Whether new features or bug fixes you did not need to be on a support plan.

I'm using a pro control that was made in 2005 and I've been using pro controls for the last 12 years, never had to pay a penny beyond the initial purchase.

I'm not buying any of this. Here is the irony, I had planned to buy an S3 in December, but now, no way!

I'm better off with D-Command and HD 11.

JC I get it, you are stuck between a Rock and a hard place. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't hold you accountable for any of this, I actually feel sorry for you as you've got to work for such a pathetic company. Actually I feel more sorry for myself, being loyal to this pathetic company, what's really sad, I'm going to continue to be loyal to the software. At least where I stand right now. That being said, I have no intentions of joining any support plan, we're upgrading beyond my current license, a ProTools HD 10/11.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 08-31-2015, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
JC, that was never the case before with any of the controllers. Whether new features or bug fixes you did not need to be on a support plan.

I'm using a pro control that was made in 2005 and I've been using pro controls for the last 12 years, never had to pay a penny beyond the initial purchase.

I'm not buying any of this. Here is the irony, I had planned to buy an S3 in December, but now, no way!

I'm better off with D-Command and HD 11.

JC I get it, you are stuck between a Rock and a hard place. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't hold you accountable for any of this, I actually feel sorry for you as you've got to work for such a pathetic company. Actually I feel more sorry for myself, being loyal to this pathetic company, what's really sad, I'm going to continue to be loyal to the software. At least where I stand right now. That being said, I have no intentions of joining any support plan, we're upgrading beyond my current license, a ProTools HD 10/11.
Barry, It would appear you are trying to pick fault with somthing that's simply not there or you are just picking bits that have been said and taking them out of context.

Avid have confirmed here and on the other thread for you that there is NO support plan needed to get Eucon updates. This means you don't need to pay a penny beyond your initial purchase.

It's not hard to understand that if a feature is added to the newest version of Pro Tools then it will be functional with the S3.

However if the newest feature is not implemented in Pro Tools 11 it's impossible for the S3 to control somthing that's not there in the code.

That in its self is regardless of any support plan.

This appears to be no different to any past controllers from Avid nor any other company can't offer updates for something that's not physically written into the software.
No one can expect a company to continue coding new features into older software products as this is not logical. Bug fixes yes - new features no.
Again this is not just avid this is the same for any DAW manufacturer.

You are actually lucky avid continue to support and a older release as Logic for example or even Sonar will have all development stop upon release of there latest version so this means no updates or bug fixes.

The only reason that you would need a support plan ( again this has been pointed out to you multiple times ) would be if you wish to stay on the current version & take advantage of future Pro Tools updates and S3 integration with said updates.
The other option to stay current is to not go on a support plan and purchase the software.
Repeating my self here again.... This doesn't mean you need a support plan to receive Eucon updates they however just might not be relative to your Pro Tools version. This is not different to any past controller.

I should probably point out at this time with you being a Pro Tools 10 user the S3 is not supported under Pro Tools 10

There is also no need for calling a company pathetic especially when they and others are trying to help you understand what's going on and why things are the way they are.

I'd highly recommend going to a Elite Avid reseller and trying the S3 and see the integration with Pro Tools 12 before being dismissive.

I'm not sure where you are but if you so happen to be in Scotland you are more than welcome to come to my studio for a demo.

Apologies I now see you are in Florida ! That's a long way to pop in for a cupa

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM

Barry I understand your concern, but Norrie is hitting the nail on the head.

In my case, I bought an S3 recently and a friend of mine told me he had heard that -

"Avid are going to charge subscription fees to use their controllers"

I feared that I had bought a controller that would not work unless I paid a ongoing fee for it. S3 needs Eucon to work, I presumed that unless I paid for a Eucon subscription, the software would not work. I am happy to pay a yearly sub for the Pro tools software but to pay another $$$ yearly fee for Eucon too would be a step too far.

And that is why I started this thread, because I wanted to find out for sure whether this was the case or not. It is not.

My understanding now is that Eucon software is free to owners of Avid controllers. Any Eucon updates are free too. But if the next version of pro tools software can transform the S3 into a coffee maker (and I want the addition of a coffee maker in my studio) I will need to be up to date with that pro tools software version.

If I have got this wrong, then I stand corrected! The S3 is a really great controller btw I love it for what it does.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriszuki View Post

My understanding now is that Eucon software is free to owners of Avid controllers. Any Eucon updates are free too. But if the next version of pro tools software can transform the S3 into a coffee maker (and I want the addition of a coffee maker in my studio) I will need to be up to date with that pro tools software version.

If I have got this wrong, then I stand corrected! The S3 is a really great controller btw I love it for what it does.
You have a good understanding of the situation, this is an accurate post.

JC