Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2006, 03:31 PM

Default Re: PCIe HD2 on XP?

Quote:

"are there actually 7.2.1 updates for XP tdm"?

Yes, I think that is it.. 7.2 cs1 update from the standard 7.2 cd installation. However, if your on a MacPro and using Bootcamp with PCIe hardware, I would think that would be quite risky (which it probably doesn't even work as you alluded to, nor is it supported by Digidesign).

Nevertheless, without sounding too snotty (and that really is not my intentions) I'm curious if Digi is working on compatibility with PCIe on XP. The reason why I wonder about this is because, as others have mentioned, maybe a person wants to take advantage of the hardware exchange special that's going on now (and be able to run it either on a Mac or PC with PCIe slots). I did hear several months ago that it would be supported when an XP machine with a satisfactory PCIe layout was available (which should be the case by now?). Anyway...

My HD XP machine broke so I had to put my HD Accel 2 in my old G4. I seem to be plugging away fine with this now (besides getting everything loaded, losing a days work -crying about some lost audio files- and taking the good advice from the Mac gurus up above and cloning my drive with Carbon Copy Cloner (this really is a great program). I learned a quick, hard lesson last week (backup everday..don't even wait a day..don't even turn off the computer before it is backed up).

Furthermore, should upgrade to PCIe (with the current exchange rate) and by a new Intel MacPro and bust the budget (as I'm NOT going to build/buy another PC that will work with my HD PCI cards at this juncture..it would have to be a beautiful thing for me to do this now) or grind it out with my old G4 -or buy a PPC Mac G5 (or punt)? I guess my system is working (if it works don't fix it!) and I know my situation is my decision, but I still think the XP folks should get a "were working on it" or "were not going to support PCIe on XP" sometime. Or yes, go ahead, it's gold to exchange your hardware regardless of how you want to cut the cake.
Happy Sunday to all !!

len b.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:22 PM

Hiya,

well ... this has become another "blaze the trail cowboys/cowgirls (i know quite a few girl editors now)
so, I'll give it the old college try (and no, i don't mean blow potsmoke inside the case to "remove the bad Juju" you laugh ,but an old bandmate actually did this) ..and see what exactly is going wrong with this setup. I beta hardware all the time, so this should be fun, oh wait ...i get paid to do that other stuff ... this is all about "learning" ...yippi...maybe i'll be able to use HD on the next record.

Computer Setup:

MacPro Quad 3ghz

8GB of RAM

HD1 PCIe (I'm timid,i lost my ass in 95 on 40k worth of nubus tdm) 2 accel cards on the way

Drive Setup:

1 - 250GB Drive (apple OEM) - 1 HFS+ partition - OSX 10.4.7 (it's grrrrrreat!) sorry,bad pun

1 - 750GB Drive Running 5 NTFS partitions ( 2 XP partitions,3 storage partitions)

1 - External 500GB 10k rpm 1394b drive system (firewire 800)

1 - External "crutch drive" 250GB 1394a drive system on standby (firewire 400)

Now, i have had the HD running in OSx without flaw ... that's a no-brainer, but i'm looking the fool here as i influenced the rest of my team to go XP PT for the pricepoint on a new system (and it helps we have a deal with Dell).

I'll get this working .... just going to take some time, tune in....

Respects,
Old 11-12-2006, 05:24 PM

I'm running HD3 Accel on XP with Boot Camp on a Mac Pro 2.66 w/ 4 gig RAM .. but I have an Expansion/HD.

No problems.. very smooth install.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'm running HD3 Accel on XP with Boot Camp on a Mac Pro 2.66 w/ 4 gig RAM .. but I have an Expansion/HD.

Rail
Hey Rail,

That's great info to know!
The expansion option didn't even dawn on me (even though I'm aware it exists).
Decisions, decisions.
I might even like that better! I could just go with that too!

Len
Old 11-12-2006, 06:56 PM

Hi Len,

The Expansion/HD is great but be aware of the additional latency incurred - this is a non issue if you don't use MIDI or Virtual Instruments.

Digi are unlikely to officially support this configuration though

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM

Just thoughts but...

This could somewhat negate the need for PCIe compatibilty on a PC when a person could just buy a Mac and have the best of both worlds (on either OS with PCI or PCIe.. pick one, any one?). I know this depends a lot on perspective, but to some degree becomes moot (especially in terms to my post previous to the last).

Interesting nontheless.

len
Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 PM

I'm very happy to hear a confirmation of this .... true ..you have the bloat of that chasis to deal with .... and i do a majority of midi outside .... with real hardware .... so latency in general is an issue .... i did a quicky install ..and the results were all sorts of funky ... the whole system seemed like it was unstable .... and the thing couldn't handle anywhere as near the plugins as the same rig w/LE and the 002 ...i would assume that's just some basic tweaks and tuning ...but you actually have this up and running ... with no problems? ... It makes my future trench sessions with this a little more hopefull ... thank you for this info Rail Jon Rogut

Respects,
Old 11-12-2006, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Hi Len,

The Expansion/HD is great but be aware of the additional latency incurred - this is a non issue if you don't use MIDI or Virtual Instruments.

Digi are unlikely to officially support this configuration though

Rail
Rail,

I was typing when you wrote this and yes, I've dabbled with some virtual instruments (a lot of interesting stuff out there) but It's more traditional instrumentation in my daily work.. I think I would be fine with that. Maybe a possible supported configuration in the future?
Interesting possibilities!

Len
Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Rail
Sorry , are you sure ? :

Bootcamp (v112) still don't install the full driver
for the pcie slot into MacPro
Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Both systems ran smothly and stably for me. There is one, and ONLY one difference: the Mac Pro has a wicked amount of native power available. It is one reason I only use an HD2 Accel now. I simply did not see a need to have extra $$$ floating around on cards I do not need anymore.
I take it your using more RTAS plugs???

Do you find the RTAS Plugs are of the same quality of their TDM counter parts???

And is the reason you stick with an HD 2 is to get the higher track count?? [HD 1 limited to 96]

What Plugs are you waiting to get ported over???