Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Is the basic iMac powerful enough?

I've got an older G4 with 4GB of memory and I'm running into problems with extensive tracks and plug-ins.

Is the basic new iMac 21.5" 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 500GB HD SuperDrive Nvidia GeForce 9400M AP BT....for $1,099...powerful enough to handle songs with 30 tracks and multiple plug-ins?

Powerful enough to run PT and Final Cut Pro on the same maching without issues?

I think the 27" iMac with the i5 processor is too big for my small space...and costs another thousand dollars.

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Is the basic iMac powerful enough?

Hello and welcome.

You can never get enough power if you run multiple plugins and vi's. I'v got a pc with I7 wich has about the same power as the new i5/i7 imac.

Things run pretty smooth for me. If I was shopping I could get the I5/I7 27" imac. Down the line you might end up regretting having to little power if you go for the smaller imac.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:39 PM

If the 27" Imac is too big, pricewise you can do something in between, which is the 15" Macbook pro that just came out a couple days ago with the I5 (or I7) chip. From everything I've heard, it will be significantly better than any of the Intel Core 2 Duo's (Imac or Macbook). A 15" screen may be too small for you, but you can just add a cheap 19" or 20" second monitor for $100 by Acer or some other inexpensive brand.

However, if you go with the cheap Imac, you should be happy. I'm on a 2.4ghz Imac and I can do quite a bit with it.
Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM

I had been using a powerful Dell laptop for a couple of years and always felt as though I was on the brink of a crash (and often I was).

Recently I bought the new IMac 21" and upgraded to 8.0.3cs2 along with an MBox2. I couldn't be more pleased. At first I was having a lot of hang problems but I thought I could get away with using the new Bluetooth wireless magic mouse and keyboard. As soon as I got a USB keyboard and mouse the system has worked flawlessly.

I have been working on listening and mixing 25-28 tracks that were recorded in a pro studio but have yet to try recording new tracks with that many tracks.I have been recording acoustic guitar on a session with 15 tracks and no problems.

I use a lot of plugins and tend to render a lot of heavy plugin guitar tracks to save CPU power but in general, I did the optimization, I turn off wi-fi and bluetooth when I use Pro Tools and I have been having a great time and the rig is working great. No problems at all.

Hope this helps and Good luck to ya...Ricky
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Didn't know about the MacBook Pro with i5/i7 options....that could be the machine b/c it would allow me to use it during a live solo act performance in addition to handling my current project. Of course...we're talking $2,600 after upgrading the drive to 7200rpm and pre installing Aperature 3 and Final Cut Express. Oh well...C'est la vie!

Decisions decisions!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:04 PM

Well, Final Cut Express and Aperture 3 would be additional regardless of which Mac you get.

By the way, you'll do better to buy these elsewhere, especially B and H Photo.

Final Cut Express is $157.99 and Aperture 3 is $179.69. Both with free shipping.

They also have Logic Studio 9 for $419.95.

And yes, they are an authorized dealer, and I've bought lots of stuff from them.

bhphotovideo.com