Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-12-2020, 05:56 PM
bashville bashville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,150
Default Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave? (SOLVED)

I believe the driver for my HD Native is getting misplaced in Mojave Security hell...

I get no messages upon installation that security has blocked the install, but the computer just won't see the card.

After running the installation, should I restart right away, or go to the security prefs window first? Even if I don't open the lock at the bottom, if I click on "Allow" it will open the window to show me blocked extensions (I think that's what it's doing, there's not much explanation, but I see Avid listed). Even if I don't try to change anything, and hit cancel, at the next startup my computer is frozen. This has happened twice, and TG I'm backed up.

Is there some fool-proof walk-through of this procedure somewhere? And what is this I hear about enabling the microphone? I don't want to enable the microphone. It seems like there should be some red-flag documents posted somewhere on the support pages explaining all this. Yes, I've searched.

Any help would be appreciated thank you! Kevin
__________________
HD Ultimate (HD Native), PT2019.12, OWC PCI-ext. TB2, Blue 192, 2018 MacBook Pro, 32 Gig, Mojave 10.14.6

Last edited by bashville; 04-17-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2020, 04:19 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 17,425
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
I believe the driver for my HD Native is getting misplaced in Mojave Security hell...

I get no messages upon installation that security has blocked the install, but the computer just won't see the card.

After running the installation, should I restart right away, or go to the security prefs window first? Even if I don't open the lock at the bottom, if I click on "Allow" it will open the window to show me blocked extensions (I think that's what it's doing, there's not much explanation, but I see Avid listed). Even if I don't try to change anything, and hit cancel, at the next startup my computer is frozen. This has happened twice, and TG I'm backed up.

Is there some fool-proof walk-through of this procedure somewhere? And what is this I hear about enabling the microphone? I don't want to enable the microphone. It seems like there should be some red-flag documents posted somewhere on the support pages explaining all this. Yes, I've searched.

Any help would be appreciated thank you! Kevin
Yes you have to enable the microphone. If you don't OSX won't allow your interface to pass audio. That has been explained in multiple places on the 'net.
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2020, 09:40 AM
bashville bashville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Yes you have to enable the microphone. If you don't OSX won't allow your interface to pass audio. That has been explained in multiple places on the 'net.
Of course I will do that--I'm just bemoaning the general lack of official acknowledgement of the hoops you have to jump through in installation. I've found the Security prefs window to be a little treacherous as I've described. Still looking for an actual click-by-click breakdown somewhere of what's supposed to happen. A recommended YouTube video?

Below is the closest I've seen so far of the type of information I need, except I wish the last paragraph had better directions than "go to the Security window and allow it to load" since clicking "Allow" in my case bricked my system.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...h-Sierra-10-13

And by the way, everything else is working fine here--I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter, so I'm pretty confident that a totally clean install of everything isn't what I need here, in case someone is getting ready to recommend it(!)
__________________
HD Ultimate (HD Native), PT2019.12, OWC PCI-ext. TB2, Blue 192, 2018 MacBook Pro, 32 Gig, Mojave 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2020, 10:34 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 17,425
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashville View Post
Of course I will do that--I'm just bemoaning the general lack of official acknowledgement of the hoops you have to jump through in installation. I've found the Security prefs window to be a little treacherous as I've described. Still looking for an actual click-by-click breakdown somewhere of what's supposed to happen. A recommended YouTube video?

Below is the closest I've seen so far of the type of information I need, except I wish the last paragraph had better directions than "go to the Security window and allow it to load" since clicking "Allow" in my case bricked my system.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...h-Sierra-10-13

And by the way, everything else is working fine here--I'm usually a pretty good troubleshooter, so I'm pretty confident that a totally clean install of everything isn't what I need here, in case someone is getting ready to recommend it(!)
I think this microphone business has been mentioned here by Avid. And it certainly has been mentioned in threads here as well as elsewheres on the net. A simple quick Google search turned up this link direct from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-...hla1b1e1fe/mac
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2020, 12:28 PM
bashville bashville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

Hi thanks that looks like a useful link, even though it’s not from Avid. My main question, though, still relates to the HD driver issue. Again, to reiterate the title of the original post, I need expert guidance from the fine folks here in the forum relating to security issues installing the HD driver in Mojave.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
HD Ultimate (HD Native), PT2019.12, OWC PCI-ext. TB2, Blue 192, 2018 MacBook Pro, 32 Gig, Mojave 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-13-2020, 01:28 PM
_JJ_ _JJ_ is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 82
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

I think this is what you're looking for. It's for High Sierra but I believe the same steps apply for Mojave and Catalina. The trick may be to NOT hit restart until you've ok'd the installation in the security panel. If you restart first my guess is that the extension is left in the sandbox - or whatever it's called in programming land.

This is a different issue from enabling the microphone thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVd9kRgFo4
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-13-2020, 03:39 PM
bashville bashville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JJ_ View Post
I think this is what you're looking for. It's for High Sierra but I believe the same steps apply for Mojave and Catalina. The trick may be to NOT hit restart until you've ok'd the installation in the security panel. If you restart first my guess is that the extension is left in the sandbox - or whatever it's called in programming land.

This is a different issue from enabling the microphone thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsVd9kRgFo4
Thanks for this--the interesting thing is I never got that "extension blocked" warning, but that still sounds like the most probable reason my card is not showing up (mounted in a PCI expansion chassis that was approved for the card). I know the card is OK because it works in my other Mac.

At least this video is saying to NOT restart right away after the installation.... I'll certainly get on the phone with Apple support about this, and will post any results here.
__________________
HD Ultimate (HD Native), PT2019.12, OWC PCI-ext. TB2, Blue 192, 2018 MacBook Pro, 32 Gig, Mojave 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-17-2020, 02:37 PM
bashville bashville is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 1,150
Default Re: Step by step installing HD Native Driver on Mojave? (SOLVED)

Problem finally solved--I've got the HD Native card working with the OWC Chassis in TB2.

The biggest issue was that startup would hang on the restart after "allowing" the extension to load. I had to run Disk Utility on the startup drive in Recovery Mode, and that did the trick. I thought I had tried it before, but I was trying so much different things, that maybe I overlooked it.

Another possible cause was that there is a second extensions folder inside "Systems". That contained some way older extensions, one also named "DigiDal" from 2012, and another even older kext for the Digi Eleven box. Since I deleted those, trashed PT prefs, and went through the thing with the startup all at the same time, I'm actually not sure which of those was really responsible for the success. Anyway, this document got me going down the correct path, I think....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...-Tools-upgrade

I actually didn't know there was a second extensions folder, so that was a revelation. Anyway thanks everybody for your responses--
__________________
HD Ultimate (HD Native), PT2019.12, OWC PCI-ext. TB2, Blue 192, 2018 MacBook Pro, 32 Gig, Mojave 10.14.6
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats your step by step approach for post sound work? andreasfromsweden Post - Surround - Video 4 07-09-2014 04:38 PM
Quantizing Live drums in 7.4. A Step by Step guide. Ru_C Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 19 07-29-2011 07:28 AM
Needing Step by Step Videos - (read more for details). Wavelabs Pro Tools M-Powered (Win) 2 04-16-2009 06:53 AM
Alesis SR16 control of PTLE6 Step-by-step Needed Violet Sun Electric 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 11-24-2003 02:14 AM
How to Make an OS 9, Universal installer disc, from a G4, OS 9 CD; Step by Step! editor General Discussion 2 04-21-2001 03:55 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:22 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com