Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 PM

Default Re: PT just does not work, so should I build a new PC build or just but a MAC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcsound View Post
If I build my own machine, which is what I would like to do, will it work at all with PT?
Build...and yes, it will work with PT.

Quote:
I am afraid if I buy a MAC I am just throwing money down that fashonable apple shaped money pit.
+1.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 AM

Default Re: PT just does not work, so should I build a new PC build or just but a MAC?

Do you have any pirated software often a lot of audio torrents end up getting a virus that you may not even notice. Also I wouldn't blame it on amd but if it's not a quad core amd in my opinion isn't much worth it. The 6 core amd's, the i7 quads or even an i5 is great. The athlons, core i3's, and even penguin d I would stay clear from. But if I had to bet It could be your motherboard and your memory as well as you system configuration.

Dedicated graphics is also a must. If your running an mbox and don't demand a lot of tracks I would just get a newer i5 system. They have i5 sandy bridge quad cores now and they considerable compare to amd prices better than the 1st generation i7 series.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 AM

Your pc is rather old, a 1.8 won't do very well with the latest PT version. I built a quad core i7 PC around the intel H55HC motherboard and 4 G RAM, and it's rockin' on Win7.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:03 PM

I am afraid if I buy a MAC I am just throwing money down that fashonable apple shaped money pit.

I like this guy...

Heres a quick and dirty build rundown,
Get a quadcore...intel only
get an intel motherboard (or asus)
Get corsair ram to match motherboard specs
get at least 2 western digital HDDs ( not green series)
get a texas instruments firewire card (try an ADS pyro)
your good to go,ive built many puters using this guideline and never had a single problem with hardware...in fact ive been running pro tools since 5.1 and never had a problem ,they used to post specs on chipsets on the site and I just copied those back in the day,my first build is still running,my 7 year old uses it for games.
windows 7 is the only real stumbling block I have encountered.For some reason it doesnt create an administrator account automaticly so you have to create one while you are doing your OS tweaks.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
3) Buy a MAC Book Pro, and then put up with an expensive piece of jewery with only two USB's, one firewire and an unsupported interface (Thunderbolt) which no one cares less about, but PT MIGHT work.
This one phrase here should let you all know what that guy is really doing..

Feeding it won't help.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 AM

I have just built an i7, not one of the big i7's, just a lynfield 870 processor with and extreme intel mobo, ya know the one with the skull on it, and 3 500gb WD Black hard drives, only problem i have had since setup is that MBOX mini 2 drives had to be hunted down, but its been 5 months and we record 5 days out of the week and have had no problems.

If you dont want to spend a lot of money on a mac book or mac book pro, you can go to kutthouzeagc.com grab a refurbished one for about $500 or less
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM

I've built two new pc's and both fail to work with PT 8.0.4 and the Mbox Mini. Get a Mac.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:

If I build my own machine, which is what I would like to do, will it work at all with PT?
Yes, if you build it right. I've been using PT on PC since a P4 and Mbox 1. And today I got two solid rigs running PT... a core 2 quad built by a tech who went strictly by Avid's site recommendations, and an i7 that I built based off the info on DUC.

Based on my experience, something spec wise is definitely not right if PT won't run stable on any PC.

A multi-core personal computer with the proper specs doesn't care what OS is running. Pick the OS you like, OS X or Win7, then get a Mac or build or buy a Windows PC like THIS. If you build it you pay a lot less.