Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Default please recommend an EQ

I have a special sound editing project that needs 2 tools I can envision in my mind, although I'm not sure they actually exist. I'm hoping some of you with more experience can point me to some plugins to fulfill the job.

1. An EQ that will absolutely cut out all frequencies outside of a very specific range, that I set. For example, I may need to monitor 250-300 hz. I neither want to hear, nor see displayed on a spectrograph, any frequencies outside this range. In some cases I will need to filter two or three simultaneous ranges, for example, 250-300 hz and 800-850 hz and maybe 1400-1500 hz. price is not an objective, but sharp sides to the range settings is essential. I do not want any coloring of the remaining frequencies, (ie. warmth) which I realize is what people sometimes pay extra for with high quality EQs. I am well aware of Renovator that can physically remove specific bands. This won't work because I will be streaming hours of data. Plus, Renovator doesn't work on macs, no matter what the company likes to advertise. I know this because i own it.

2. A plugin that lets me compare two sound samples by frequency and/or amplitude parameters that I set. For example, sound sample 1 will remain constant for hours. Sound sample 2 is mostly identical to #1, except for exceedingly subtle variants of amplitude or frequency, which is basically noise. It is this noise that i want to isolate and analyze. That also explains why the best tool I can think of (so far) for this task is DINR noise reduction. In DINR, there is a crucial "audition" parameter, that lets you hear the noise as it is being deleted from the #2 sample. This noise is defined as anything outside sample 1, which was "learned" by DINR by adhering to the amplitude spectrum set via 1024 frequency bands. In my case, I need to capture this "auditioned" difference between sample 1 and sample 2. My doubts about DINR, are based on the fact that it is at least 10 years old. So i am wondering if there is there some newer tool that does this job more completely than DINR. For all you noise editors out there, how does DINR compare with Izotope Rx? Or is there some 3rd or 4th tool I may not even know about?

any advise is much appreciated.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: please recommend an EQ

Try the demo of izotope RX. I never liked DINR. You can cut out ranges of frequencies with izotope RX quite easily and you can compare different versions pretty easily. I am still having a difficult time understanding what exactly you are trying to do on #2. But it seems that izotope would be a great tool to try from what you said.

As far as digital EQ's go. You may want to check this out:

http://rhythminmind.net/1313/?p=361

It seems to me that you would probably want a Linear Band EQ such as:

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=207

Hope that helps.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-02-2011, 01:55 PM

1) Unless I'm missing something you can do this with any eq. Duplicate the track, flip the phase on the duplicate, and boost the frequencies you want to hear isolated. Massenburg has a band solo feature in the eq, and so does Avid/Digi EQ3.

IHTH.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:28 PM

Question Re: please recommend an EQ

Thanks for your tips. I'll check it all out.

In the second question, i am basically seeking software to subtract the audio content of one sample from another. Think of an hourlong recording of nothing but very quiet noise, for example a shotgun mike pointed at a desert valley. But during the second hour, one bird flies into the valley. With DINR, the software lets a user generate an amplitude spectrum from some part of the recording where you know there's nothing but ambient noise. If i choose a section that I know has nothing but ambient noise in it that is a half hour long, I'll get an averaged amplitude spectrum, generated through 1024 frequency bands. Then I can filter the entire recording, by this average spectrum. By pressing "audition", I should ONLY hear the sound that does not fit the noise spectrum. So, theoretically, if i do this well, I should hear nothing at all in the hour recording, except for the single instance of a bird flapping its wings.

DINR can do this. Will Rx do it as well? As I said in my original post, DINR is pretty long in the tooth, so I'm writing to ask if there's anything else available that will fulfill this basic task better than DINR.

Or, perhaps there's some other plugin that has the same result, but does it in more effective way. For one possibility, the process of side-chaining triggers one plugin off of another one. So if the first plugin "amplified" the very subtle bird's wings, it could conceivably kick in a second plugin to amplify the bird to such an extent that the resultant graph would show as clear as day on a bounced track.

I will re-check Rx which, in fact, I already own. i didn't think it had such an audition capability.

Sorry for being so long-winded. This task is so unusual, that it took a while to explain.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:53 PM

You might also use that technique to listen for ghost voices. :)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:54 PM

I use massenburgs MDW... I love although George M. IMO should keep his PI a little more up to date. Among the greatest if you ask me.

Now, I also love the FabFilter Pro EQ... It sets the STANDARD for what an intuitive RQ - IS and SHOULD BE... Fantastic thing.

Makes ALL other EQs looks like Dinosaurs when it comes to ease of use. ALL of them.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:06 PM

Thumbs up Re: please recommend an EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
I use massenburgs MDW... I love although George M. IMO should keep his PI a little more up to date. Among the greatest if you ask me.

Now, I also love the FabFilter Pro EQ... It sets the STANDARD for what an intuitive RQ - IS and SHOULD BE... Fantastic thing.

Makes ALL other EQs looks like Dinosaurs when it comes to ease of use. ALL of them.
FabFilter IS the best eq.... not only the display/operation but it sounds as good or better than anything else, the most transparent that I have and I have lots of them... great price
Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM

Looks like a cool EQ to use. I sure wish it was TDM. That is always the deal breaker for me. I track with TDM plug-ins. My go to EQ is still RenEQ. I'm good and fast at it. But I have to say that the features of the Pro-Q look awesome! I would also love to have an EQ that displays the spectrum underneath it like ProQ does. But I don't know any TDM plugs that do that.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-03-2011, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post

Have you compared this with Equality? How do they compare in terms of sound? Features seem almost the same at first glance. Even the design of the curves seems almost identical. So are switchable scales M/S etc...

Thanks,

Frank.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreo1 View Post
1. An EQ that will absolutely cut out all frequencies outside of a very specific range, that I set. ....

2. A plugin that lets me compare two sound samples by frequency and/or amplitude parameters that I set....
AFA eq goes, here's a couple thoughts; Metric Halo's Channelstrip has a bandpass filter with arbitrarily sharp Q - this may work for you, though you may not be able to get the sides sharp enough. DUY has a product called Magic Spectrum, or something like that, that I believe allows you to construct a very precise EQ curve of arbitrary shape - perhaps worth a look. Steven St. Croix's IntelliQ would have been perfect for this, but it's no longer made, and I don't know of anyone using the technology (though it looks like the DUY may do the same thing). SoundToys' Filter Freak has a band pass mode and you can vary the number of poles for sharpness, and also lets you create some fairly unusual filters - perhaps worth a look.

Hope that helps,
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6