Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2015, 08:01 AM

Default iLok Licenses

...Your licenses on your iLoks aren't going anywhere! Unless you are on the monthly subscription plan (DIFFERENT from the Upgrade plan) you'd be fine.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM

Last edited by jeffro; 03-26-2015 at 02:46 PM. Reason: New topic split from other thread.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
...Your licenses on your iLoks aren't going anywhere! Unless you are on the monthly subscription plan (DIFFERENT from the Upgrade plan) you'd be fine.

Joel
Or Avid decides to pull your license asset from iLok and the next time you go to sync or add a new license for something else your PT asset goes poof. Unless you keep your PT asset on an iLok that never is plugged in when you go to iLok.com.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Or Avid decides to pull your license asset from iLok and the next time you go to sync or add a new license for something else your PT asset goes poof. Unless you keep your PT asset on an iLok that never is plugged in when you go to iLok.com.

They can't possibly pull a license off your key. That's why the process is called license surrendering. You decide to do what another party asks. If you don't agree, then the license stays where it is.

I know that for sure. Waves once downgraded my V8 Mercury to V7 because I needed to use it on an older system, so they sent me a special license surrender asset that would remove all V8 licenses. Only after that their support sent me the brand new (old) V7 licenses.

Rest assured, nobody can pull a license off your license key unless you click okay to something.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
They can't possibly pull a license off your key. That's why the process is called license surrendering. You decide to do what another party asks. If you don't agree, then the license stays where it is.

I know that for sure. Waves once downgraded my V8 Mercury to V7 because I needed to use it on an older system, so they sent me a special license surrender asset that would remove all V8 licenses. Only after that their support sent me the brand new (old) V7 licenses.

Rest assured, nobody can pull a license off your license key unless you click okay to something.
That is not true.
I once had a PT 10 license removed that I had bought off of eBay. Turned out it was a stolen license, and so they took it from my account without a warning, and I had to investigate what happened.
So it technically IS possible.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 03-26-2015, 10:02 AM

Perhaps technically, but not legally possible to remove a legitimate license without your approval. We are all talking about legitimate licenses here.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:

But what about if you go to sync your iLok with the account at iLok.com and the PT asset is no longer there because Avid removed it? Or put a time limit on it? Wouldn't the act of syncing then delete the asset from your iLok?

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
But what about if you go to sync your iLok with the account at iLok.com and the PT asset is no longer there because Avid removed it? Or put a time limit on it? Wouldn't the act of syncing then delete the asset from your iLok?
It would but before that you would be warned and have to click "yes" to sync the ilok and therefore delete the asset from your ilok. The ilok would never be modified without the user's consent.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
It would but before that you would be warned and have to click "yes" to sync the ilok and therefore delete the asset from your ilok. The ilok would never be modified without the user's consent.
And you trust that this would never change? It's their software that runs the thing and if they change the software like they did last year with the new ILM s/w to where you HAVE to use the new s/w then it could happen with no recourse from the end user.

QAPLA!
Old 03-26-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
It is legally not possible, because you and Avid have a contract about a permanent license which you have in your license key, so the only way to get it removed is that you and Avid agree about something else (as in upgrade) and you approve a license surrender.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It is legally not possible, because you and Avid have a contract about a permanent license which you have in your license key, so the only way to get it removed is that you and Avid agree about something else (as in upgrade) and you approve a license surrender.
Been quite a while since I read the license terms but doesn't Avid have a weasel statement in there that the terms are subject to revision at any time of Avid's choosing and without notice? I've been on the brown end of the stick where a company has changed it's license terms on it's own with no recourse to the customer. Even with a contract. I know it may not be legal but it happens.

QAPLA!