Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 11-04-2013, 07:58 PM

Default How close is the SC48 to the Profile with a MixRack as far as sound goes?

How close is the SC48 to the Profile with a MixRack as far as sound goes?

If I do a show on a Profile with a mix rack and then use an SC48 will the graphic EQ settings on the groups be transferable between the 2 of them. I know I can load the Profile settings into the SC48 but do they sound the same.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Re: How close is the SC48 to the Profile with a MixRack as far as sound goes?

In my experience they are sonically identical. They share many of the same I/O cards and therefore the same converters, and obviously the same OS, and while there might be changes in the DSP or Word Clock, I've never identified any difference in practice. If anything, the SC48 would likely have the advantage simply being the newest design.

Brent Lind
Old 11-05-2013, 08:19 AM

Default Re: How close is the SC48 to the Profile with a MixRack as far as sound goes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Lind View Post
In my experience they are sonically identical. They share many of the same I/O cards and therefore the same converters, and obviously the same OS, and while there might be changes in the DSP or Word Clock, I've never identified any difference in practice. If anything, the SC48 would likely have the advantage simply being the newest design.

Brent Lind
Thank you for the reply. That will help me, knowing that I can just load up the settings I saved from the profile into the SC48 and I should be good to go. Actually I will be loading them into the offline software first and massaging the setup before loading it into the SC48.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM

the offline editor is very helpful in this situation as it does a pretty accurate job of emulating the console differences. Meaning if you have any incompatibilities due to the different i/o configs or max channel counts, you'll be able to work them out offline. Be aware that the one thing the editor won't help with is plugins. The SC48 has much more limited DSP and if you have a lot of plugins,you are probably going to have to lose some.

Brent Lind
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAXX View Post
Thank you for the reply. That will help me, knowing that I can just load up the settings I saved from the profile into the SC48 and I should be good to go.
Just please be noted, that Profile system and Mix Rack systems are different, so when you say "from Profile" that might mean two different things even though both systems share the same controller. Main difference between them is that stock Profile system has typically 1/3 more DSP than a Mix Rack system (three DSP cards vs 2 in Mix Rack). Mix Rack system can be upgraded to having three DSP cards when Profile at the same time can be upgraded to run 5 DSP cards.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:22 PM

To further explain Kristo's comments -

The SC-48 and stock MixRack each come with 2 DSP cards. The SC-48 cannot be expanded. The MixRack can accommodate 1 additional DSP card for a total of 3. In the FOHRack/StageRack system, the FOHRack comes stock with 3 DSP cards and can accommodate 2 more, for a total of 5.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:54 AM

the only thing i noticed when jumping between sc48/mixrack and foh/stagerack (profile/dshow) is that i somehow have the impression that there is a small difference in gain values in the preamp. might be more dynamic or more headroom or maybe its just me being stupid and wanting a difference.

imho the sc48/mixrack input cards are a little "louder" and i usually turn up the gain a little when moving to a foh/stagerack system. but i guess you will need a real A/B test to really find a difference in these systems - if there actually is a difference. and if there is one it wont be a big difference as you have with pm5, m7, ls9 stuff...
Old 11-30-2013, 09:20 AM

It worked just fine. The sound system was the same except for the console. Last show I used a Profile with a MixRack and it wasn’t available for this show so we used an SC48. The settings sounded the same between the 2 different consoles. This was for a musical theater show and it made setup much easier being able to just copy the settings into the SC48.

Thank you for the help.