Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2010, 01:54 PM

Default Re: does Alpha-link Madi works with PT9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstaczek View Post
I'm running PT9HD on OS X with an RME HDSPe card and the alphaLink. I can only get to 64 buffer in PT9 (48k). And at 64, PT is giving me occasional "CPU overload, please increase your buffer size" errors. This is an 8-core Mac Pro and the test session is one stereo track playing back pink noise, no plugins. Very disappointing.
I just tested PT9HD under Windows 7 64-bit with the same audio hardware. PT9 will run at 32 samples just fine, and I get no CPU overload errors. CPU usage hovers about 15% playing back 96 stereo tracks of pink noise with no plugins.

Conclusion?

1. Windows PT9HD runs much better than Mac OS PT9HD, OR
2. The RME Windows ASIO driver is better than the RME Core Audio driver.

Since Mac Nuendo runs fine on that RME Core Audio driver, I'll say that Windows PT9HD running on ASIO drivers appears to be better than Mac PT9HD running on CoreAudio drivers. The application feels a lot snappier, too. Maybe that has something to do with running Windows 7 64-bit? Don't know...

Jason
Old 12-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Hey there, I'd like to know how you went about setting up the Alphalink to run on Pro Tools 9.

I've got 2 Alphalinks AX and the madixtreme 128 PCIe card.

Now, I try to set them up on the Pro Tools Aggregate, but unless I have my M-Audio 410 plugged in it just crashes while loading.

Please help.

Many advanced thanks

Dan
Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 AM

Hey there, could you please let me know how you get your Alphalink to run on Pro Tools 9. I'm running 2 Alphalink's and the Madixtreme 128 Pci-e card and can run it on Logic no probs but it doesn't seem to work with PT9.

All the help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Dan
Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 AM

Hey there, could you please let me know how you get your Alphalink to run on Pro Tools 9. I'm running 2 Alphalink's and the Madixtreme 128 Pci-e card and can run it on Logic no probs but it doesn't seem to work with PT9.

Thanks

Dan
Old 01-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offslip View Post

Thanks

Dan
Hey Dan,
From reading over at GS I understand that PT9 doesn't like the multiple MADI streams with the 128 card. 64 card works ok but not the 128. SSL is working on the problem. I'm sure Avid isn't.
I've got my 64 working other than limited buffer settings.
Good luck.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:27 AM

I got a question, thinking about the ssl i/o bundle (madixtreme 64 pci card and the alpphalink madi ax).

how well does it perform overall (i7 pc, win7, pt9)? not talking about sound quality here. when using a big session with lot's of plugins, when does it start to choke? when the cpu is 90%, 96%...?

a friend of mine told me that RME does not choke until the cpu chokes... he remembered some soundcards choking up before the cpu hits the ceiling.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 PM

I'm waiting to purchase the Alpha-Link MADI AX and the Madi Xtreme 64 to install on a Windows7 64 bit machine, but I want to wait out the confusion re PT9 and the Madi Xtreme 64 running at 64 bit. I understand the Madi Xtreme is stable at 32 bits, but I was hoping to run at 64 bits.

Any new developments on the front lines??? I really don't want to shell out the extra for the RME HDSPe madi card, but if it results in rock solid performance, it may be worth it.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 AM

My rep told me that I could also combine the Alphalink with an RME MAdi card!

AFAIK RME has been known to have solid drivers.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Wait a minute, all may not be lost for Madiextreme64; here's a quote from GS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipitt
I have been following the forums and threads about MadiXtreme card problems because I had the exact same problem. I have solved it!! At least on my computer. Pro Tools 9 has to start in administrator mode to communicate with the SSL MadiXtreme. I stumbled across this solution when my Mackie MCU wasn't working with pro tools the way it should and it was recommended to run in admin mode. Surprise, Surprise, the Madixtreme came online also!

To reiterate... run PT9 in Admin mode (right click PT icon, go to properties, shortcut tab, Advanced button, check "Run as Administrator" button) and the Madixtreme64 works!

Hope other people find this usefull...

This guy's next post:

Quote:
I'm using Windows 7 64bit. I am seeing 64 ins and outs showing up on the default i/o settings, but I just deleted the extra ones that aren't used with PT9 or the Alphalink. At 96k I am running 24 i/o with the SSL Alphalink going into the MadiXtreme. Believe me, I was loving that I got it going. I still have my BL Digi003 hooked up to give me the option to switch between the Alphalink and the Digi003. Everything is coming into the Amek Media 51 for summing and outboard fx.
Hmmm.....Windows 7 running at 64 bit using the MadiXtreme64. So it can be done, you just have to trick it by running PT9 in administrator mode. Anybody here been able to make MadiXtreme64 work with PT9 without running in Administrator mode?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:40 AM

I am looking for a solution that gives me a 32 sample latency playback engine on Windows!