Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Smile Fades now supported on Elastic tracks in PT10?

Is this official? The problems I used to have with pops on boundaries when using fades on some elastic regions/clips, is now gone as far as I can tell.

So real-time fades make sense, and having glitch-free fades on elastic tracks is a great thing but I wondered if it's official?
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 AM

Default Re: Fades now supported on Elastic tracks in PT10?

Bump

It would be great to know for sure if fades are supported on elastic tracks. I used to always render my elastic tracks before sending to a mix, for just this reason. But if they don't click or pop anymore, then elastic tracks should be safe to carry all the way thru a mix.

So far so good though.... I haven't had any issues using fades so far in PT10 HD, even on severely pitched low end tracks.

Fingers crossed......
Old 02-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Space Cabin Audio

Not sure if it's official, but my understanding of it was that EA was printing microfade files in the background. Now that fades are virtually background automation fades are fine.

I have not had one problem using fades on EA based tracks. It would be great to hear it from the horses mouth though!

Kris
May the music move you
Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Avid

Yes, the little bumps you may have heard on elastic audio tracks are gone with real-time fades in PT 10. The trouble that previous versions had was that because the elastic audio algorithms are inherently nondeterministic, there was the potential for out-of-phase audio at the boundaries of audio regions and fades, since the fades were pre-rendered using only a small amount of preceding audio to feed the EA algorithm to generate the fade. The EA algorithms have a "state" that reflects all the previous audio that's been fed to them in a region, so the transition from the real-time processed elastic audio region and the pre-rendered fade had the potential to catch the EA alg in a different state at the boundary, resulting in a pop/glitch. To help alleviate this, previous versions did indeed put a "microfade" on the transitions between EA regions and fades, but this would only help for certain kinds of material (the microfade was too short to help low frequency phase shifts).

Anyway, all this is gone with real-time fades, since the fades work only with the real audio coming from the EA plug-in. If you have a glitch between regions, you can put a fade on it and it will go away like you'd expect, which previous versions might not always do.

I hope that helps.

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering