Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-14-2009, 07:25 PM

Default Windows 7 + Mbox Mini + Standalone Drivers = ??

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it anywhere in my searches.. I just installed Windows 7 (32-bit), and reinstalled the Windows Standalone Audio Drivers.. the installation never seems to complete, and I can't select my Mbox Mini as an audio device any longer... does anyone know what I might be doing wrong, or can you offer your experiences?

Thanks!

-David Bayles; Art & Fear
Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Windows 7 + Mbox Mini + Standalone Drivers = ??

For the record, I'm trying to hear my system (WMP, VLC, etc.. not just ProTools) thru the Mbox.. which I was able to do just fine on XP..

Old 11-14-2009, 10:00 PM

There was no wave driver for Vista, so I'm guessing there also isn't one for W7. The BEST bet is to use your onboard sound card for non-PT audio. That M box is a PRO TOOLS INTERFACE, and was never intended to be a general purpose soundcard.
Were you using the MME helper to make that work on XP?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:59 PM

Thumbs down Re: Windows 7 + Mbox Mini + Standalone Drivers = ??

Thanks for the response- That I was... and good work by Jon Ragut to make that happen, since Digi wouldn't. Oh well. Its sort of ridiculous that this "Pro Tools interface" can't be used to play back Windows system audio as well.. like every other interface on the market.. And like they do for Mac. Just sayin'.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:27 PM

Hopefully they will update the drivers so we can use the mbox as our default audio device. Until then i have just figured out a decent workaround, if your computer is capable of running XP mode then install that and install the mbox and it's drivers on the virtual xp and you can play all of your music through there. It's a bit of a pain but since i really don't want to listen to music through [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ty laptop speakers it's worth it.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:40 AM

I spoke with a digi tech support person in regards to a multi-boot system. In short I asked if it was ok to leave my mbox pro connected while i was on my office partition system. The guy told me to install the drivers for my other systems so i can hear all audio from my computer on my recording speakers. He said it was completely fine and advised that i use the mbox as my sound card for all application in addition to pro tools. Just sayin.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:30 AM

But what WE'RE just sayin is it only works in XP, not in Vista. Did the digi guy clarify that?
Old 11-23-2009, 10:59 AM

It works for me in Vista.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordovad View Post
I spoke with a digi tech support person in regards to a multi-boot system. In short I asked if it was ok to leave my mbox pro connected while i was on my office partition system. The guy told me to install the drivers for my other systems so i can hear all audio from my computer on my recording speakers. He said it was completely fine and advised that i use the mbox as my sound card for all application in addition to pro tools. Just sayin.
I have NEVER heard nor seen Digi recommend using your interface for all your sounds. What was the guy's name you spoke with? And it was Digidesign Tech right? Not a guy at Guitar Center?

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-23-2009, 09:10 PM

And if the OP has a Digidesign WaveDriver for Vista so he can hear Windows sounds, then he's the only one - or Digidesign released a WaveDriver for Vista that I don't know about.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction