Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 09-19-2018, 03:58 AM

Default Whats happened to AAX32

Hi,

Seems many developers are not doing AAX32 which is a shame as there are still a lot of PT10 users who would buy into it.

Some are still doing it and i wonder how difficult it is do do a 32 version if you have the 64 already done.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:04 AM

Default Re: Whats happened to AA32

even one change doubles testing
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Seems many developers are not doing AAX32 which is a shame as there are still a lot of PT10 users who would buy into it.

Some are still doing it and i wonder how difficult it is do do a 32 version if you have the 64 already done.

Chris

Totally agree. Tons of folks are still using 32 bit on Pro Tools 10 HD among other platforms. 64 bit Native is fine for many but not all.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Most vendors still have RTAS and that works fine with PT10. AAX32 was done as a transition solution only

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM

Not a lot of PT10-era plugins that are available as AAX64 but not available as RTAS/TDM so it's not a huge problem. Nobody expects new plugins to be back-ported to old platforms, right? And if so, then where's my TDM version...

Though I know where this is coming from; people think AAX32 is much more efficient than RTAS (which it is) but if you have both plugin engines active there goes much of the gain. So if you can be 100% TDM or 100% AAX32 I would get it but if you mix two plugin architectures together it's always half-baked.

AAX32 was great because developers had time to learn coding AAX before going to AAX64 or AAXDSP but now that they are coding 64bit that 32bit variant would just be extra effort just like DSP but on much smaller scale. Today it is close to completely unnecessary.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Though I know where this is coming from; people think AAX32 is much more efficient than RTAS (which it is) but if you have both plugin engines active there goes much of the gain. So if you can be 100% TDM or 100% AAX32 I would get it but if you mix two plugin architectures together it's always half-baked.

Hi,

Im not sure what you mean by half baked by mixing aax32 in a TDM system. its no different from mixing TDM and RTAS which everyone did for years.

Im not expecting them to back port to TDM but AAX32 if they already have AAX64 can't be that hard. some vendors are firing them out at an alarming rate and don't seem to have any problems doing so

Ive been mixing TDM RTAS and AAX32 for a long time now with no real issues, just have to be aware of where you place your native plugs.... Some recent plugins have been compatible as they are AAX32.The new SSL version 6, New Fangled Audio Elevate, SKNote Disto and even some of the first Waves AAX are 32 and im using them just fine.

Im sure in the beginning Avid said it was easy to do both 32 and 64

My point really is these vendors are not getting my money anymore Plugin Alliance, Softube, Waves latest etc

Where as UAD have just had a 6 plugin purchase from me because they can still make their latest plugs work on PT10 and Mountain Lion. same for SSL, SKNote, New Fangled Audio.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:53 PM

What he said. It’s all true.