Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-17-2010, 02:48 PM

Default So does LE in fact have delay compensation?

I just visited a friend who has been with his new mbox only for a couple of days and had a problem. His problem was that even tough the H/W buffer was small he had an big delay between when he hit the guitar string and it reached speakers. When I opened his session there was a RTAS drum synth in the session with some midi beats and his guitar track... and an aux input that the guitar track was running thru and there was a t-racks mastering plugin on that aux input that created this big latency issue my fiend had. SO obviously bypassing the plug took care of his issue... but...

What made me wonder was, when he played his pre-recorded tracks thru the t-racks with midi drums running from the VI they were more or less perfectly in sync!? So PT took care of the delay compensation!? I thought LE did not have that!? Am I missing something?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:59 PM

Default Re: So does LE in fact have delay compensation?

no you are not missing anything... I've been saying this FOR YEARS and everyone tries to argue with me. PTLE, along with all other DAWs, have a certain amount of delay compensation built in. The amount of which is based on the buffer size you set.

If a plugin's latency exceeds the buffer size, then it will be late.

But to answer your question plainly, yes PTLE has ALWAYS done some amount of delay compensation going back as early as 5.x. This is why Bussing to an aux track will be perfectly in phase with the original. If there were no compensation whatsoever then the aux track would be 5 samples behind (bussing in protools requires 5 samples of processing latency...or maybe it's 6 samples, I forget). It's just that ANYTHING with look ahead capabilties or anything that requires large amount of DSP (like Soundtoys or Melodyne, or Waves L3, or Digi's Dyn/Exp3 [has look ahead], etc) can't be compensated for because their latency exceeds the limits of the 1024 buffer.

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 03-17-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
no you are not missing anything... I've been saying this FOR YEARS and everyone tries to argue with me. PTLE, along with all other DAWs, have a certain amount of delay compensation built in. The amount of which is based on the buffer size you set.

If a plugin's latency exceeds the buffer size, then it will be late.

But to answer your question plainly, yes PTLE has ALWAYS done some amount of delay compensation going back as early as 5.x. This is why Bussing to an aux track will be perfectly in phase with the original. If there were no compensation whatsoever then the aux track would be 5 samples behind (bussing in protools requires 5 samples of processing latency...or maybe it's 6 samples, I forget). It's just that ANYTHING with look ahead capabilties or anything that requires large amount of DSP (like Soundtoys or Melodyne, or Waves L3, or Digi's Dyn/Exp3 [has look ahead], etc) can't be compensated for because their latency exceeds the limits of the 1024 buffer.
I could not see how much exactly was the delay caused by t-racks but it was most certainly way way more than what was the H/W buffer, as H/W buffer was set at 128 samples and the delay between hitting a string and hearing it was more like 0.5 seconds or so. Still, midi and pre recorded guitar thru the bus with t-racks ON was OK. I could see that cursor and waveform were running ahead of audio so visual feedback was off, but audio was fine. I'm guessing digi has implemented delay compensation in LE without shouting it out loud to see if we really can tell the difference or not
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 PM

Yeah this is the way PTLE has worked for a while now, but is not what people are asking for. What is wanted is for the delay you were hearing with the T-Racks plug to be accounted for and "realigned" in time. But I've always understood that as long as the latency of the plug in chain is less than the buffer, and the plugs are reporting correct latency, there is some amount of compensation. FWIW you can, I think its command+click the number at the bottom of the track and it will show scroll through numbers and of them is the reported latency. I know not the most specific directions. I just know what buttons to hit without looking lol.