Old 12-01-2020, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Carbon Latency Problem

Thank you Jeffro!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris August View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn4mwjolwi...%20PM.png?dl=0

The picture didn't show up on my last post so I did the link here.
Would it be possible to post a picture of the entire mixer to see the entire signal flow?
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:52 PM

Hey! That actually is the entire signal flow. I accidentally had that LV routing folder going to the MixBus in the screen shot, but its supposed to be going to the master bus which is labeled Mon L-R in the Carbon I/O. So its just a track, going to a routing folder which is going to the Main output.

I would reopen and take another screenshot, but Apple told me not to keep plugging the Carbon in because the moment I do my cpu temp goes over 95 celsius....even with nothing opened.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:28 PM
Avid

Hey Chris, I have tried reproducing your issue according to your description and screenshot and have not encountered any latency in my HP cue mix. It would be really helpful to have access to the session. I may not have any time to try it myself, but the Carbon product designer and our head of audio support have been made aware of this and we definitely want to get to the bottom of it.

Cheers

Q

--

Francois 'Q' Quereuil
Director of Product Management, Pro Tools
Old 12-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Here is a link to the session. I have latency when I record & DSP enable that A1 track with the native plugins enabled on the LV VS track.

I appreciate the help!
Chris

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqb9c539vc...1%201.ptx?dl=0
Old 12-01-2020, 08:10 PM
Avid

Hey Chris,

I'm the product designer for Carbon and I hope I can help out here. First, I'm really sorry to hear about the challenges you're having. It's not the experience I'd hope you'd have out of the gate. Regarding the temperature issue, I'm surprised it's getting that hot. What is the temperature of your Mac with Carbon disconnected? What, if any, peripherals are connected? I have the same Mac as you (2019 16" MBP) and with no Carbon connected at the moment I'm reading 40º C. I will connect Carbon shortly and let it run for awhile to see what temperature it gets up to.

If you're able to send a session that'd be very helpful. And, if you do reconnect Carbon will you try the following?
  1. New Session
  2. Mono Audio track ---bus 1--->Mono Aux Input----->Master Fader
  3. Enable DSP Mode on Mono audio track (DSP Mode will be auto-enabled for other two tracks)
  4. Add HP send on Mono Aux Input
  5. Record some audio to the audio track and monitor via headphones
    Do you hear any noticeable latency? You shouldn't.

Next, replace the Aux input track with a routing folder (same bussing) and add a HP send there. Do you hear any noticeable latency? You shouldn't.

Thanks,

Kyle
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Kyle thanks so much for taking the time to help me!

My laptop runs at 45° C. After I plug in the Carbon is rises to over 90° C within a minute or so. That's without even opening Pro Tools or any apps at all. The moment I unplug it, it goes right back down. I spoke with someone at Avid about it and they said they were aware and are working with Apple to figure it out. Told me to run Turbo Boost, but that didn't help.

When I do those steps you listed off I get no latency. When there aren't any plugins I'm good to go. Once I start adding other tracks and they have native plugins, I get the latency. Even when those plugins are on different audio paths. Some plugins have such low latency you don't know it, but when a session starts building up the latency is very apparent.

I started to just setup my sessions differently because I figured maybe it's not supposed to work that way, but when I saw the YouTube video today and he was showing the exact setup I was having problems with then I thought something might not be working correctly on my end.

Thanks again for helping!
Chris
Old 12-01-2020, 08:28 PM
Avid

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the session. Are some tracks (i.e. LV VS) not in DSP Mode? First attachment.

Or, are you putting all of the audio tracks you're recording to (or monitoring through) in DSP Mode? Second attachment.

Also, are inputs "1", "2", "3" just renamed mic/line inputs?

Kyle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_DSP and Native Tracks.jpg (48.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2_DSP Tracks.jpg (50.3 KB, 0 views)
Berkeley, CA
Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM

I'm not record arming the LV VS track. So no monitoring at all with that, but it does need those plugins turned on for the latency to occur.

When I record arm and DSP enable A1, it puts the routing folder and Master into DSP Mode automatically.

Yes, 1, 2, 3 are just renamed Carbon inputs.

When I enable that Autotune plugin on the LV VS track, it has a delay compensation of around 2500 and its in orange. I tried a bunch of different plugins and they all gave different numbers, but in the end did the same thing. I just put that one there because I knew it would show the latency. When I monitor directly off the A1 track, I could have a 100 of those plugins and I'll have no latency at all. The moment I try to monitor off the routing folder, those plugins bring in the latency.