Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 and High Sierra

I hear you, but I tell you, I have been working day in and day out with Final Cut and TVPaint and Photoshop. Less so with Pro Tools, but I have not had any noticeable issues. I do get the occasional crash, but I also did before I had the Fusion drive. I only point this out because people should know that while it may be a big problem, for some, it absolutely isn't, graveyard notwithstanding. For other DAW's, I can download trials to see.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonguy View Post
I hear you, but I tell you, I have been working day in and day out with Final Cut and TVPaint and Photoshop. Less so with Pro Tools, but I have not had any noticeable issues. I do get the occasional crash, but I also did before I had the Fusion drive. I only point this out because people should know that while it may be a big problem, for some, it absolutely isn't, graveyard notwithstanding. For other DAW's, I can download trials to see.
You're on your own then.

QAPLA!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 PM

Maybe, but I feel your presence looking over me and guiding me.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 PM

Yeah you never know until you remove the unapproved hardware if it’s causing a problem

Fusion drives were problematic for PT especially early on....and Apple saw the light too and moved on from them as well
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 PM

Only the iMac Pro has moved to pure SSD. All other current iMacs are still Fusion, so that doesn't suggest they have abandoned them. What makes you think they have?
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 PM

Actually, I believe it’s only the 5k Retina 27” that comes standard with a Fusion Drive.

The other iMacs have a 5400RPM spinner as standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2018, 12:22 PM

The top iMac comes standard with Fusion. The other two models have it as an option. To me, that tells me that Apple fully support this option and that Final Cut should work fine with it. Anyway, as I say, my experience has been just fine.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Default Pro Tools 11 and High Sierra

Do you think that Apple counts the fusion as a top performer?

What do they put in the MP? Yes the trash can?

M.2, yes they have moved on.

5900 rpm spinners and fusion drives are for people who can’t justify spending more money for better performance parts, it’s a concession for grandma on her couch surfing the web and sending iMessages to her grandchildren

If it works for you, count your blessings. Avid said avoid them...and that is the recommendation we should be giving the people, who read this thread.

If anyone persists and wants to buy one for their machine, “caveat emptor”
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:48 PM

Apple counts their top iMac model as their top performer. The 3.4GHz model, and that comes with Fusion as standard, with no spinner option, so yes, they do feel that Fusion belongs in their very best iMac. The iMac Pro is way more money, so they go with a single SSD. Who wouldn't want that? But of course it costs more.

So ultimately, Apple is representing fully that Fusion goes with their top spec iMac. They would not do that and then tell users that Final Cut is incompatible, so they must support that too. On my iMac, the HDD is 7200. I use my iMac for intensive professional graphic and video work and it's great.

For DAW's, I get it. It's known to be problematic, but in real world, some people get away with it, like me. PT 11 isn't supposed to even work on El Capitan, but it does for me just fine. The Fusion drive has so many advantages and I love it generally, so yeah, I guess I will count my blessings because it all works. My original issue was just with PT not working with the latest OS, not this Fusion discussion.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartoonguy View Post
Apple counts their top iMac model as their top performer. The 3.4GHz model, and that comes with Fusion as standard, with no spinner option, so yes, they do feel that Fusion belongs in their very best iMac. The iMac Pro is way more money, so they go with a single SSD. Who wouldn't want that? But of course it costs more.

So ultimately, Apple is representing fully that Fusion goes with their top spec iMac. They would not do that and then tell users that Final Cut is incompatible, so they must support that too. On my iMac, the HDD is 7200. I use my iMac for intensive professional graphic and video work and it's great.

For DAW's, I get it. It's known to be problematic, but in real world, some people get away with it, like me. PT 11 isn't supposed to even work on El Capitan, but it does for me just fine. The Fusion drive has so many advantages and I love it generally, so yeah, I guess I will count my blessings because it all works. My original issue was just with PT not working with the latest OS, not this Fusion discussion.
The only reason Apple has a Fusion drive in anything is because it's cheap. Just because it may be standard doesn't mean one has to live with it, especially given all the evidence behind Fusion drives are death to audio recording. There may not be a spinner option - who really would buy a computer with a spinner when an ssd is available for just a few dollars more?

Like I said - you're whistling past the graveyard so don't be surprised when you start noticing weird things going on especially given you're running PT11 on the worst OSX release Apple ever put out.

You've been given the answers to working with your version of PT or upgrading to PT12 provided you have the computer to support it and you refuse to follow the advice.

QAPLA!