Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-17-2018, 07:56 PM

Default PT 2018 Won’t see HD Native Card [SOLVED]

I finally broke down and upgraded to ProTools 2018 HD moving up from PTHD 11, everything looks normal, except I can’t get it to recognize my HD native card. When I go to choose play back engine, it doesn’t give me the option of selecting my HD native card.

It also recognizes my D-Command, which it shouldn’t for PT Native.

Before the upgrade I was on OSX Maverick, so I upgraded to High Siera before installing PT 2018, when I look at OSX Audio/Midi, it also doesn’t show my HDN or Avid I/O’s.

I installed the Avid HD Driver as well.

Any ideas?
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????

Last edited by Samanthas Dream; 02-17-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:38 PM

Default PT 2018 Won’t see HD Native Card

Oh tell me you did not ignore much of the advice here, and Avid’s own advice, and do an insitu macOS upgrade? You should have found a free partition or got a new spare boot drive and done a full clean macOS install onto that. Be able to test all that works and if not boot back to your old environment. Clean, most reliable way, and no reason to deliberately risk damaging whatever is working today.

If you did not do that.... now may be the time. Do not use migration assistant to move drivers, apps or plugins over, reinstall all those from their installers.

Unless I am missing something you should not need to do extra install steps to install HD drivers.

Some of the stuff you are writing does not make sense. So slow down and explain yourself carefully. “Native”? You mean Pro Tools Standard? Pro Tools HD on a HD Native or any other interface will work with a D-Command. If you are trying to use a Pro Tools standard, then sure that won’t work, and neither will your HD interfaces.

And very importantly anything after Pro Tools HD 12.6 you need both a HD and a Digilink license asset on your iLok (or new cloud license thing). Discussed lots on DUC before. I am guessing that may be actually why your interface is actually not being seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-17-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 PM

Default Re: PT 2018 Won’t see HD Native Card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oh tell me you did not ignore much of the advice here, and Avid’s own advice, and do an insitu macOS upgrade? You should have found a free partition or got a new spare boot drive and done a full clean macOS install onto that. Be able to test all that works and if not boot back to your old environment. Clean, most reliable way, and no reason to deliberately risk damaging whatever is working today.

If you did not do that.... now may be the time. Do not use migration assistant to move drivers, apps or plugins over, reinstall all those from their installers.

Unless I am missing something you should not need to do extra install steps to install HD drivers.

Some of the stuff you are writing does not make sense. So slow down and explain yourself carefully. “Native”? You mean Pro Tools Standard? Pro Tools HD on a HD Native or any other interface will work with a D-Command. If you are trying to use a Pro Tools standard, then sure that won’t work, and neither will your HD interfaces.

And very importantly anything after Pro Tools HD 12.6 you need both a HD and a Digilink license asset on your iLok (or new cloud license thing). Discussed lots on DUC before. I am guessing that may be actually why your interface is actually not being seen.

Wow Daryl, usually you are helpful, but on this one you are massively condescending.

My install of High Siera was a fresh install on a freshly formatted drive.

Maybe I did not need to install HD drivers, been a while since I’ve installed Protools. Why have HD Installers if not needed for HD????

When I say Native, call it Vanilla which by the way is freaking stupid for long term PT users! Bottom line is my current install appears like a traditional Native/Vanilla install when choosing Device Manager, normally when on an HD rig you see HD as an option, I only mention the D-Command working as the system “Acts” like it’s a Native “Vinilla” rig, the fact that it recognizes my D-Command tells me it knows it’s an HD Rig.

So after all that, do you have any helpful recommendations?
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 02-17-2018, 09:13 PM

Samantha I am trying to help you but you are still not being clear. I still cannot make out what licenses you have. HD or standard? Actually on the iLok?

I pointed at a very likely problem, can you answer that... do you have an Digilink license on the iLok. Please check exactly what ILM shows is on the iLok.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Samantha I am trying to help you but you are still not being clear. I still cannot make out what licenses you have. HD or standard? Actually on the iLok?

I pointed at a very likely problem, can you answer that... do you have an Digilink license on the iLok. Please check exactly what ILM shows is on the iLok.

I have both an HD as well as a DIGILINK license on my I llok.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:44 PM

Oh damn... there goes the quick win.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:46 PM

When you start Pro Tools and go to the about box does it show the version you expect? And say “Pro Tools HD”?

Old 02-17-2018, 09:48 PM

The next step likely is to run Digitest and see what it says.

Also probably useful to get a full inventory of exact versions....
ILM
Pro Tools
macOS

Old 02-18-2018, 12:43 AM

Oh and sorry my bad, the HD Drivers are needed. It’s been a while since I did a HD install.

Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 AM

Brrr and see this thread about HD cards not being recognized, try deleting the kext and reinstalling the driver as mentioned there.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=397260